• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Seven Towns vs. Dayan - Color Scheme Copyright Infringment

Status
Not open for further replies.
WCA
2010BULA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's not illegal to own illegally sold cubes.

exactly what i want to say.

anyway, does changing the color makes them comply with the rights of the rubik's?
The RUBIK'S CUBE® in its three dimensional form and any graphic or photographic representation of it, in any configuration, coloured or uncoloured, whether it carries the RUBIK'S CUBE® name or logo, is protected by intellectual property laws throughout the world.

edit:
oh wait, rubik's requested dayan the change of orange to purple.
ok...

Last edited:

Nestor

Premium Member
WCA
2013SANC10
what was the reason why switching to white?

I've always preferred white, but some puzzles were only available in black at the time of purchase. Now with more white puzzles coming out and a big enough collection (70+) it sucks to see those black ones breaking the monochromatic arrange...

I'm selling the black ones to friends at store price, so I'm not investing any additional money while doing this ^^.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
wouldn't this just kill off Rubik's own cubes, as everyone will be using purple instead of orange?

Define "everyone". Most people buy an official cube as their first one, only the minority who's interested in soeed swtches to better cubes afterwards.

And when Eastsheens were still the best cubes available nobody complained about the purple instead of orange.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
of course it doesn't have to be the same exact colors for them to claim that dayan cubes looks like a rubik's cube.

IMO. yes, dayan are better speedcubes. But rubik's doesn't focus on being a speedcube.
they focus on being just a puzzle toy for everybody (speedcuber or not) with a good quality.

Whether you solve it for speed or not, having to do wrist turns all the time would get quite annoying. So would constant lock-ups. I wouldn't want a Zhanchi replica, but a cube that would be suitable for speedcubing, and if people want to make it better still, they just lube it and mod it.

mrCage

It's not illegal to own illegally sold cubes.

Maybe. But it's a different ball game for branded fashion like Gucci, YSL etc. If you buy fake copies when travelling you may face severe punishment upon arriving home. Who can believe you can really get a genuine Rolex for $20 anyway? Hmmm ...

In our case i consider the dayan "genuine" and rubiks/seventowns a cheap "copy" qualitywise ... :D

Per

Per

mrCage

This can possibly work, unless Seven Towns is too lazy to change their design, maybe a new advertising campaign?

Nah, they are too busy trying to "reinvent the wheel". New useless non-twisty puzzles. Marketed as the "bew rubik's cube". Yeah, right!!

Per

aronpm

Maybe. But it's a different ball game for branded fashion like Gucci, YSL etc. If you buy fake copies when travelling you may face severe punishment upon arriving home. Who can believe you can really get a genuine Rolex for $20 anyway? Hmmm ...

The difference there is that the fake copies of Gucci and Rolex are exactly that: copies. They are sold under that name (or a blatant variation) with the intention of appearing authentic. Knockoff cubes aren't sold as "GENUINE RUBIK'S CUBES", they are sold as "3x3x3 DaYan V ZhanChi Magic Cube".

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's very hard to pop store-bought cube. Unlubed, the pieces would probably snap before an edge pops out. I thinks it's a design choice as opposed to a design flaw. They don't want their toys falling apart when kids play with them. I think it would be very hard for them to create a cube that is almost impossible to pop(current design), but still performs as well as we expect a speed cube to perform. I doubt we'll see them make a speed cube any time soon, if ever...

E3cubestore

YouTube
Visit Channel
You, sir, are simply a genius. Though you should have kept it to yourself so you could reap all the rewards :p

It's quite elementary so I didn't consider it a secret, but thanks for the compliment I suppose :D

You can get custom stickers at puzzle addictions $0.85 for 2 cubes.
much cheaper than buying an orange cube?

That works for black and white plastic cubes for restickering, it doesn't work for colored cubes because you actually have to replace pieces. Sticking orange stickers on a purple face would make the cube look pretty ugly and asymmetrical.

coldplay

YouTube
Visit Channel
You can get custom stickers at puzzle addictions $0.85 for 2 cubes.
much cheaper than buying an orange cube?

Yes, they are inexpensive, but tell me, how do orange stickers on a purple background, look on a sticker-less cube? Not very good, don't you think?

I see everybody saying that there will be two different generations of cubers, with two different color schemes – the newer cubers will use purple, while we old-fashioned cubers will use orange. However, most beginners start out with a store-bought Rubik's brand cube. If they learn on a store-bought, with the standard color scheme (orange, not purple), won't the new cubers also prefer orange and switch the stickers on their speedcubes to orange? Just food for thought.

It's very hard to pop store-bought cube. Unlubed, the pieces would probably snap before an edge pops out. I thinks it's a design choice as opposed to a design flaw. They don't want their toys falling apart when kids play with them. I think it would be very hard for them to create a cube that is almost impossible to pop(current design), but still performs as well as we expect a speed cube to perform. I doubt we'll see them make a speed cube any time soon, if ever...

One word. Torpedoes.

Just like on the DaYans. It's nearly impossible to even remove a piece with torpedoes in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.