• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Seven Towns vs. Dayan - Color Scheme Copyright Infringment

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronb

The main thing I'm thinking about is that Rubik's speedcube, that knockoff article was talking about. 5 years in development? Depending on the price, I would definitely buy one, to try it out.

About the sticker thing, meh, if I don't like the purple, I will buy a bulk order of Izo Stickers.

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
seems like Seven Towns are just causing a minor inconvenience to everyone... seems kinda pointless unless they're really concerned about watering down their trademark.
I guess I better buy a coloured Zhanchi now before they switch the plastic.

I had the same notion. I was just about to order a stickerless version of each of the DaYans just to have the old colour scheme for safe keeping. But then I just figured; what the heck, let it go. I'm trying to go CN (I know, I'm such a sheep, but I'm having great fun learning) so I figured "what's one more colour?"....

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
This makes no sense at all. Why don't they do the same with V-cube, LanLan, Witeden, ...?

I just got a 3x3x9 and I believe they replaced orange with pink. It seems likely to me that they are also doing this.

I don't care. I usually resticker my new cubes anyway. All I hope is that when I order an 8x8 it comes with orange.

TheMachanga

WCA
2010LECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Still, when non-cubers see almost ANY twisty puzzle, even a megaminx or custom tony fisher puzzle or something, they'll always say "woah, lock at that weird Rubik's thingy". If they see a Dayan with a purple side, they'll still think Rubik's.

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I ordered a white 3x3x9 cuboid some while ago and I got the following: White-yellow, pink-orange, blue-green.

And I recently ordered a white Shengshou 6x6x6 cube and it is still stickered orange-red, blue-green, white-yellow.

Same unaffected color scheme for my white Shengshou 4x4x4 cube.

I have also ordered a black Shengshou 8x8x8. It has not arrived yet. I hope it has the classic color scheme or at least comes with the option of
making the cube colors into the classic color scheme. At the moment, Cubesmith are not selling 8x8x8 stickers.

aronpm

I have also ordered a black Shengshou 8x8x8. It has not arrived yet. I hope it has the classic color scheme or at least comes with the option of
making the cube colors into the classic color scheme. At the moment, Cubesmith are not selling 8x8x8 stickers.

Puzzle Addictions is selling 8x8 sticker sets (or will be soon; the selection system doesn't look complete yet)

r_517

Premium Member
WCA
2009WANG19
New Dayan cubes will have stickers with Black, White, Red, Green, Purple, Blue and Yellow.
(Officially) most of the Dayan 3x3 are sold in unassembled kits with 2 sets of stickers. New Guhong stickers will have Black and Purple. Dark blue might be changed to light blue probably.
Just a brief translation from the designer Daqing Bao.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Point to note: for Dayan 3x3s you can disassemble into pieces with one sticker each, and reassemble into any scheme you want with those colours. Why can't Dayan sticker it's cubes with some random colour scheme using the usual colours to get around the copyright, then anyone who wants to can change it to something more comfortable? Also, since some people like purple and they are working on it anyway, give that as an option instead of orange.

This hopefully won't affect people much, especially if they buy as DIYs (I do, and I have several spare sticker sets with standard colours, so I'm fine). Does anyone know for certain if DIYs are affected by this?

Also, Rubik's provide low quality products which next to nobody uses for speedsolving since they suck, and now they attack a popular brand over something petty. Are they trying to get speedcubers to hate them or something? It almost seems like they are having a competition with V-cubes to see who can annoy the speedcubing community more/make the decisions which seem the most stupid from our point of view.

r_517

Premium Member
WCA
2009WANG19
Point to note: for Dayan 3x3s you can disassemble into pieces with one sticker each, and reassemble into any scheme you want with those colours. Why can't Dayan sticker it's cubes with some random colour scheme using the usual colours to get around the copyright, then anyone who wants to can change it to something more comfortable? Also, since some people like purple and they are working on it anyway, give that as an option instead of orange.

This hopefully won't affect people much, especially if they buy as DIYs (I do, and I have several spare sticker sets with standard colours, so I'm fine). Does anyone know for certain if DIYs are affected by this?

Also, Rubik's provide low quality products which next to nobody uses for speedsolving since they suck, and now they attack a popular brand over something petty. Are they trying to get speedcubers to hate them or something? It almost seems like they are having a competition with V-cubes to see who can annoy the speedcubing community more/make the decisions which seem the most stupid from our point of view.

To stress again, most of the cubes that Dayan sell (to the retailers) are unassembled. It's up to the retailers that what colour scheme they want the cube to be.

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
I emailed somebody in legal matters in Seven Towns, and got a very vague e-mail back. However, he did say that there are some misconceptions about what is going on, and I sent him another e-mail and hopefully he will go into more details on what is happening according to him. The rest of his e-mail just talked about other companies "stealing" Erno Rubik's invention.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
"In the case of a trademark registration, failure to actively use the mark in the lawful course of trade, or to enforce the registration in the event of infringement, may also expose the registration itself to become liable for an application for the removal from the register after a certain period of time on the grounds of "non-use". It is not necessary for a trademark owner to take enforcement action against all infringement if it can be shown that the owner perceived the infringement to be minor and inconsequential."

In order to maintain their trademark, Seventowns MUST take action against Dayan. qqwref hit the nail on the head on page 2 and everybody missed it because they were too busy baaaawwwwwing about a minor inconvenience.

Last edited:

coldplay

YouTube
Visit Channel
But, why are they only going after Dayan? Is it because they are attacking the biggest ones before? I mean, a lot of cubes also use that scheme...

It seems like DaYan has been getting a lot of flak lately. First it was V-Cube and their patents on piece design, and now it's Rubik's and their color scheme. However, I don't think that it's only DaYan they're going after. If Seven Towns did it to DaYan, there's no reason they can't go after the scores of other 3x3x3's in production. They might even take this to V-Cube. Either way, we still have Cubesmith. So really there isn't any reason to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.