• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SALOW Notation for Curvy Copter.

Would you support Curvy Copter as an event?

• Yes

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 24.6%

• Total voters

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice! Just to be clear, is every so far in agreement that the ideal scramble would be like squan where initially the puzzle is just put in a random state, then jumbling moves are applied?

The state that is randomly generated is the eventual state in the end, not a state in a subgroup.

Any notation ideas that have been discussed here so far make me strongly not want this as an official WCA event ever.

Sion

I would like to let everyone know the front page has been updated based on user suggestions. I'm confident a program developer can make a random state scrambler using SALOW notation for Curvy Copter.

WCA
2018OLSE04
The state that is randomly generated is the eventual state in the end, not a state in a subgroup.

Any notation ideas that have been discussed here so far make me strongly not want this as an official WCA event ever.
It's definitely easier to write a scrambler that first randomly permutes the pieces before randomly jumbling them, which of course has the same effect as long as the jumbles are chosen with the correct probabilities.

Making this a WCA event is definitely worth it for the 4/654117 chance each scramble that the cube starts in the meson shape /s

Sion

I don't disagree, but I'm pretty sure that methodology is not how the current Sq1 scrambler works.

Whatever the case, I'm really excited as we now have a notation that is viable to put in a Random State Scrambler, Algorithms, and Reconstructions.

xyzzy

Oh same.

The front/back slash notation looks supremely confusing. If / and \ are supposed to be "atomic" clockwise and anticlockwise turns (70 degrees or 40 degrees, depending), and if // and \\ are inverses of \ and / respectively, how the heck would // and / differ? You're just arbitrarily deciding that one of them should refer to 180° + an atomic turn. Also, why / for clockwise and \ for anticlockwise?

Just use notation like UF1, UF2, UF3, UF2', UF1' (the "1"s may be omitted) to denote however many atomic turns of that one edge, imo.

I don't disagree, but I'm pretty sure that methodology is not how the current Sq1 scrambler works.
Sure, but maybe for the Curvy Copter it'd be easier to use this approach rather than directly coding a solver that can handle arbitrary jumbled shapes.

Sion

Oh same.

The front/back slash notation looks supremely confusing. If / and \ are supposed to be "atomic" clockwise and anticlockwise turns (70 degrees or 40 degrees, depending), and if // and \\ are inverses of \ and / respectively, how the heck would // and / differ? You're just arbitrarily deciding that one of them should refer to 180° + an atomic turn. Also, why / for clockwise and \ for anticlockwise?

Just use notation like UF1, UF2, UF3, UF2', UF1' (the "1"s may be omitted) to denote however many atomic turns of that one edge, imo.

You swapped "/" and "\", but generally speaking, it's if it were on a clock, the direction that would be fastest for the top of the slash to reach 12 o'clock.
As for your system, in SALOW, "UF2" is the equivalent of "U4" on 3x3.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel

I don’t blame you. It is a bit of a mess right now, but right now things are still developing in the growing pains stage. This is the first time curvy copper has really been discussed seriously in a long time. Hopefully things can be more polished over time.

superphluous

As for your system, in SALOW, "UF2" is the equivalent of "U4" on 3x3.
I think you misunderstood xyzzy - he's proposing a different way to write the notation. UF2 in SALOW notation would be UF// (or is it UF\\? further proving his point that the slashes are extremely confusing). I think using numbers is much clearer and much easier to read than slashes.

xyzzy

I think you misunderstood xyzzy - he's proposing a different way to write the notation. UF2 in SALOW notation would be UF// (or is it UF\\? further proving his point that the slashes are extremely confusing). I think using numbers is much clearer and much easier to read than slashes.
Haha, yeah. (I didn't read carefully enough, so mixing up / and \ is totally my fault. But I still stand by my claim that it's confusing.)

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Haha, yeah. (I didn't read carefully enough, so mixing up / and \ is totally my fault. But I still stand by my claim that it's confusing.)
I agree it is confusing now. basically the way I look at it, the slash mirrors the position of the edge. FR\ is one partial turn of the FR edge and the edge is tilted like the slash. We may need to look into this system more to improve it

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Curvy copter and helicopter cubes are not the same thing correct?

EDIT: Nevermind googled it lol.

WCA
2018OLSE04
I agree it is confusing now. basically the way I look at it, the slash mirrors the position of the edge. FR\ is one partial turn of the FR edge and the edge is tilted like the slash. We may need to look into this system more to improve it
Oops I guess I had the directions mixed up too, not to mention this idea doesn’t quite make sense when the cube is heavily jumbled. I’d much prefer numbers or +/- to this notation.

Sion

Oops I guess I had the directions mixed up too, not to mention this idea doesn’t quite make sense when the cube is heavily jumbled. I’d much prefer numbers or +/- to this notation.

I'll be going to get my curvy copter today, so that might help for sure.

I do think the slashes look the cleanest on paper.

Numbers can get confusing if you aren't used to 3x3, and that everything in non jumbling would be considered RF3, which could be rediculous when it could simply be noted as "RF".

As for the +/- system, I'm afraid that it could resemble mega scrambling notation too much, which could more than easily confuse the scramblers since ++ in megaminx is not the same as ++ or \\ in Curvy Copter.

Sion

Good news: I just got a curvy copter; I am realizing what might be the best system is this:

RF+, RF+', RF, RF-', RF. RF-' is the inverse of RF+, and RF+' is the inverse of RF-.

WCA
2018OLSE04
Good news: I just got a curvy copter; I am realizing what might be the best system is this:

RF+, RF+', RF, RF-', RF. RF-' is the inverse of RF+, and RF+' is the inverse of RF-.
That still doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't that make RF+ turning the puzzle the smallest amount clockwise and RF- turning the puzzle the second smallest amount counterclockwise (since the smallest amount counterclockwise would necessarily be RF-', the inverse of RF+)?