• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube sightings in media

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last edited:
The Toronto Star (newspaper) had an article about Cubeworks. Most of it was about Eric Limeback (he was interviewed) and it was a TERRIBLE article. Most of the things he said were misquoted and the reporter made up a lot things and completely misinterpreted almost everything she heard. :p

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/851585--rubik-s-cube-maestro-gives-new-twist-to-old-masters

Can someone explain why they need a speedcuber in that team?
I mean, I don't see what speedsolving has anything to do with making an art project, even if it is made of Rubik's Cubes...

I might be missing something.

Lorken

WCA
2010KHAN04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I saw a poster with a rubik's cube somewhere around uni a while ago, think it was advertising a competition. A few days ago, I also saw this giant cube under a table at our dining room in the corner that noone sits at, I was wondering if I could grab it and do it, Ill have to ask next time. hehe. it was about 50x50x50 (cm)

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
haha, lol
I read that. I could use a job like that. Those lucky 25 people D:
The reporter failed. There's only TWO of us. Idfk how she somehow heard 25.
It was a TERRIBLE article. Most of the things he said were misquoted and the reporter made up a lot things and completely misinterpreted almost everything she heard. :p

Can someone explain why they need a speedcuber in that team?
I mean, I don't see what speedsolving has anything to do with making an art project, even if it is made of Rubik's Cubes...

I might be missing something.
The guy running the business wanted "fast cubers" with lots of knowledge behind the cube since the previous guy who was doing the pieces was extremely slow (~3 mins to sovle iirc) and he would take months just do to what we could do in a few hours. Like I said, the reporter was lmao so she threw in random stuff when she was just supposed to write about the artwork.

edit: the "team" is just two cubers (me and Eric), and the other people on the team include 1 graphic designer (the one who takes the given images, enlarges the pixels, makes it only 6 colours, and divides it into a 3 by x image), 1 guy who runs the business (he chooses pictures, buys the cubes, and finds people who will buy the artwork,) and there are a few others who work at the studio who help out by opening boxes of cubes, transporting the cubes, talk to people who walk by the studio and help keep things under control.

Last edited:

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Boy meets cube. Girl sees cube. Boy gets girl.

that's what she thought too :p

vq05fp.jpg

Mitch15

WCA
2009ROMI01

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Toronto Star (newspaper) had an article about Cubeworks. Most of it was about Eric Limeback (he was interviewed) and it was a TERRIBLE article. Most of the things he said were misquoted and the reporter made up a lot things and completely misinterpreted almost everything she heard. :p

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/851585--rubik-s-cube-maestro-gives-new-twist-to-old-masters

edit:
I made this to show how inaccurate and exagerrated the article was: http://tinyurl.com/LolwutArticle :D

More stuff on Cubeworks appeared on CTV News in Toronto. Here's the 2 min segment that was aired an hour ago:
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...-cube-art-100825/20100825/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Feryll

edit:
I made this to show how inaccurate and exagerrated the article was: http://tinyurl.com/LolwutArticle :D

Read that one paragraph
An algorithm is a set of rules for solving a problem in a finite number of steps. Limeback has memorized about 150 to solve the original 3 x 3 cube in as few as six turns or as many as 16. He completes a “normal solve” in about 60 turns — about six twists per second.
When I read that second sentence I was like :fp but then I think I got what they failed to try to say.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Read that one paragraph
An algorithm is a set of rules for solving a problem in a finite number of steps. Limeback has memorized about 150 to solve the original 3 x 3 cube in as few as six turns or as many as 16. He completes a “normal solve” in about 60 turns — about six twists per second.
When I read that second sentence I was like :fp but then I think I got what they failed to try to say.
He told me that he said that the length of the algorithms he knows vary from 6 moves to 16 (the FRUR'U'F' OLL and it's inverse are both 6 moves, and the E Perm he uses is 16 moves). I can't emphasize how much the reporter failed.