• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Rookie: Looking for next step. Roux maybe?

Hi. I'm really new to cubing- for about 3 weeks. it started at work, when we got a new break room. Among other things, they brought in a Rubik's Cube. Someone sat down and solved it in about 10 minutes, and I got jealous. So I bought one, and learned how to solve it that Saturday.

I promised myself I wouldn't move beyond the beginner's method, but this is addicting.

Currently, I'm using a slight variation of the BM.

Make a cross on the bottom, solve 3 corners around the cross. I leave the fourth corner unsolved, so I can do the keyhole method. (F', U. F) or (F, U', F), to solve the second layer. I still have to do the U, R, U', R', U', F', U, F and it's reverse for the last side piece sometimes.

The other variation, at least according to sites like youcandothecube.com, is I don't solve the top the same. I solve the top cross with that method, but their last step seems so convoluted. Once I have the cross, I use U,R, U', Li, U, R', U', L to put the corners in the right places, then R', D', R, D to orient them.

I've gotten down to under 2.5 seconds consistently with this. That's with a V-Cube

I also bought a Rubik's Void Cube, and do basically the same thing. Although, with the holes, I solve the corners of one layer first, and use that to know where the side pieces go. I still get confused using the keyhole for the second layer, with no middle pieces, but I'm getting there. Haven't times myself on this cube, but I'd guess it takes me twice as long. I did have to look up a parity solution, although I don't get it as often as I used to. Probably lucky is all. I use M2, U, M, U2, M2, U, M2 if i hit parity, then solve the top again.

All that said, I'm trying to decide what speed solving method to go to. I'm leaning towards Roux. I just don't want to learn 80 algorithms if I can help it. And to start, i'd like to get my times under a minute. I'm not as intimidated of the algorithms as before, but still want something that feels more intuitive.

Started trying to figure out the blocks with the Roux, and that didn't go well. That was before I learned the Void though. Going to give it another shot, I think.

I think you can go too cfop. Idk about roux, but cfop can be beginner friendly and as you get faster you can learn more. With cfop, you would learn intuitive f2l and 4lll. So the breakdown is f2l is 2 layers at once, intuitive means you don't need to learn algs. 4lll is really simple just 14 algs. You can learn this in a few days. here is a good video for 4lll and vid for intuitive. Once you learn all of this, you are on a good path to be very fast if you want to keep going on!

4lll document-http://www.scribd.com/doc/131985555/4-Look-Last-Layer#scribd
4lll video ( so you get the idea ) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXWjAcDhaks
Intuitive f2l ( he explains it really well ) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EjpF8ORtVo

Great links. Thanks. I've been going through the forums and FAQs, but hadn't come across any of these. I'm still leaning towards Roux, but having started the intuitive video, F2L isn't as intimidating as I'd thought. Because of time tonight, I haven't finished it, but it's excellent.

The Roux is just as exciting. Most of the information I've seen on Roux is more confusing than anything. Granted, I haven't put a great deal of time into it, but this is the first time I've seen building the blocks broken down into a way that has been easy to follow.

I'm going to follow along both methods this week, to see which way works best for me. I'll start with Roux. One of the threads on here (the one that broke down most of the advanced methods) had several speedcubers wishing they had started with that one.

Anyway, thanks to both of you. This is super helpful.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Most of the information I've seen on Roux is more confusing than anything. Granted, I haven't put a great deal of time into it, but this is the first time I've seen building the blocks broken down into a way that has been easy to follow.

I think this is because in the past, most people didn't learn about other methods until they were already quite fast (sub-30?) so the tutorials aren't aimed at beginners. But more recently, other methods have started to become more popular, so newer cubers are starting to learn about them sooner... only to find there aren't any good tutorials for them. DeeDubb's tutorials are some of the few Roux resources available for newer cubers.

However there is a Roux help/discussion thread over in the Cubing Help/Questions section of the forum. If you have any questions about it you can always ask them there. :)