• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random sentences you came up with during BLD letter pairs

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just managed my first ‘fake’ bld solve! So basically i memorised, and put it down on paper, then read from paper, not looking at cube.

Edit: Failed normal BLD attempt. Misremembered last two edges, failed the new cycle in corners.
That's how you start BLD solving. Little steps! Good job!

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
The main problem with my BLD is that its sooooo hard to keep track of where and what orientation the buffer is in once you start a new cycle. Other than that, my memorisation is just slow, and I haven't done much corners.

Just attempted BLD and failed. The classic mistake: Held cube in wrong orientation.☹️☹️☹️☹️
YaTVO HEllo Member of Parliament Good Day FaiLure, FaJ YaLe GaH UK EKe

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
You never need to worry about your buffer piece though. Once you've solved 11 edges, your buffer piece will automatically be solved as well
Can you give me a scramble, then the letters to show me what u mean. Cos for example, if I shoot a flipped buffer piece to a random position, I'll use whatever goes into the buffer, yeah? Lets say its yellow green. After some more memo, I'll eventually come back to the spot where the buffer is in, and if I continue memorising like normal, I'll just cycle forever. So I need to memorise what orientation the buffer is in and where, otherwise bad stuff happens.

Last edited:

Llewelys

Do this scramble with green front white top: D' L' F' L' D' L B U2 L F L2 U2 L2 F' B2 L2 F' R2 U2 F'

Apparently you use EFGH on front, so the following letters are taking that into account. I don’t know your orientation so I’m going with green front white top.
You use OP for edges right ? So UR is your buffer ? Let’s go with that :

You start memorizing HG PO

Since you’ve just hit your buffer piece, you need to start a new cycle. That means you’re gonna target a piece you haven’t targeted (solved) yet, for instance D. Your new cycle will end once you’ve reach that piece again, ie once you have to memo D or Q.

Your new cycle goes like this : DX MK CT LD

Here we reach the same piece we started the new cycle with, so that’s the end of the cycle.
You’re either done memorizing or you need to start a new cycle.
In this exemple we’re done memorizing bc we’ve targeted every edge.

So we memo : HG PO DX MK CT LD.

Note: I might have made mistakes bc I’m not used to doing Speffz with EFGH on front, but regardless of that you can see that we never worry about the place/orientation of the buffer piece

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do this scramble : D' L' F' L' D' L B U2 L F L2 U2 L2 F' B2 L2 F' R2 U2 F'

Apparently you use EFGH on front, so the following letters are taking that into account. I don’t know your orientation so I’m going with green front white top.

Since you’ve just hit your buffer piece, you need to start a new cycle. That means you’re gonna target a piece you haven’t targeted (solved) yet, for instance D. Your new cycle will end once you’ve reach that piece again, ie once you have to memo D or Q.

Your new cycle go like this : DX MK CT LD

Here we reach the same piece we started the new cycle with, so that’s the end of the cycle.

Note: I might have made mistakes bc I’m not used to doing Speffz with EFGH on front, but regardless of that you can see that we never worry about the place/orientation of the buffer piece
You assumed everything correct, and got everything correct :). Thanks for the example.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do this scramble with green front white top: D' L' F' L' D' L B U2 L F L2 U2 L2 F' B2 L2 F' R2 U2 F'

Your new cycle goes like this : DX MK CT LD

Wait, so what if I get Q instead of D at the end tho? Plus, I’m bamfoozled with corners, since you can’t tell what the other two colours apart from the top sticker is, so if you target the same piece, but a different sticker, its harder fir me.

Llewelys

A cycle ends when you reach the same piece, not necessarily the same sticker.
Try it for yourself: next time you have a cycle, consider it over once you've reach the starting piece and start a new cycle (do NOT cycle forever). You'll see it actually works ;)

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
A cycle ends when you reach the same piece, not necessarily the same sticker.
Try it for yourself: next time you have a cycle, consider it over once you've reach the starting piece and start a new cycle (do NOT cycle forever). You'll see it actually works ;)
I know what u mean, but what I’m saying is that since a corner has 3 stickers, working out what orientation it will be in is a pain.

Edit: As in like I know what the top sticker will be, but the other two... I have a 50-50 chance. I suppose it comes with practise.

Edit two: I got it!

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't want to confuse you but basically in Llewelys' s example, when you reached O, that was the white of white/red. And thus you ended up with D instead of Q. If O was the red of white/red, you still would have had to break into a new cycle but then you wouldve ended on the other sticker then, Q.

Okay the question you just posted:
I know what u mean, but what I’m saying is that since a corner has 3 stickers, working out what orientation it will be in is a pain.

Edit: As in like I know what the top sticker will be, but the other two... I have a 50-50 chance. I suppose it comes with practise.

This is irrelevant. So if you need to cycle break corners, pick any piece you have not yet 'solved' (memorized to be solved) and just cycle break to it, it doesn't matter to what sticker. Eventually you will again reach that same CORNER PIECE, but not neccessarily always the same STICKER on that piece. That means the cycle is over. Now you either have to cycle break again or the cube should be solved. You don't have to know where what sticker is because if you had correcly solved 7 of them, the last corner has to be solved.

Llewelys

I'm just saying it doesn't matter, don't think about the orientation at all

Scramble : U2 L' F2 D F' B L' B2 U2 L2 B2 R2 U' R2 L2 U' L2 F2 D2 R U2

Memo : JC GX
Buffer piece is reached, so you start another cycle (let's start with D):

DK OQ
The cycle is over because you've reached Q, which is on the same piece as D. You're either done memo'ing or you need to start another cycle.
In this example you need to start a new cycle. Let's start with H.

HT R
The cycle is over because you've reached R, which is on the same piece as H. You're either done memo'ing or you need to start another cycle.
In this example you need to start a new cycle. Let's start with L.

LM F
The cycle is over because you've reached F, which is on the same piece as L. You're either done memo'ing or you need to start another cycle.
In this example you're done.

So you memo: JC GX DK OQ HT RL MF.

It works exactly the same with corners: don't worry about their orientation, as long as you end with the same piece you're good.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've achieved my first BLD solve! :) Took me an age to memorise, check it was correct, then make sure it was in my head (like 5-10 mins) then the actual solve was 4 mins. The corners took an age, and when I was done, I paused for like 5 seconds until I went 'hey...'
Memo used was JaH TaM Winter Variation ES LaG DaQ Great Britain KaX FRance HaS.

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's funny how this thread has been a Blindfolded Help Thread aswell as Blindfolded Failures Thread and a Blindfolded Accomplishment Thread, although threads for all of the above exist. lol. Congrats tho PetrusQuber, always happy to see more people discover the world of blindfolded cubing!

M O

WCA
2017KLOS01
gonna share my favorite image in while here, since that's what this thread was created for..
memo: TPFMUQSK
> a TaP (for water) that is Famous because USHer SucKed on it.
I was literally laughing while executing it because the image looked so silly in my head

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
gonna share my favorite image in while here, since that's what this thread was created for..
memo: TPFMUQSK
> a TaP (for water) that is Famous because USHer SucKed on it.
I was literally laughing while executing it because the image looked so silly in my head
Nice one! I rarely ever get ones that make plausible sense. I usually have words which don't go well together in the world of grammar. :) Its very rare that I actually get a good sentence.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Bumping this, I just got a M2/OP BLD success, 14 minutes :). Memo was:
BO’s chicken and waffle HaM’s PQ YaNnis LEech, LaJ RaCe YeS KaL

Pretty good for me actually! Last solve took forever... No skips either, I cycled a several times and also used M’ U M’ U M’ U2 M U M U M U2 to flip edges at the end (buffer and DR were flipped).

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Bumping this, I just got a M2/OP BLD success, 14 minutes :). Memo was:
BO’s chicken and waffle HaM’s PQ YaNnis LEech, LaJ RaCe YeS KaL

Pretty good for me actually! Last solve took forever... No skips either, I cycled a several times and also used M’ U M’ U M’ U2 M U M U M U2 to flip edges at the end (buffer and DR were flipped).
For that case, I would learn the pure edge flip ELL and rotate to solve it. I think it’s easier to not mess it up blindfolded for a lot of people since it doesn’t use MU moves.