• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random draw: win a Gan 11 M Pro 3x3!

jaredlucas

I got back into cubing after a 10 year hiatus in the fall of last year. I mad eit my goal to get a sub-30 AO5 and to get at least one blind solve by the end of the year. I practiced pretty relentlessly to get there. I had to travel to NS (I'm in Canada) to help some family through health issues and as a result had to quarantine for 2 weeks. Needless to say, thst was a solid 2 weeks of cubing every night. I quickly found out that f2l had to improve and I spent my time focusing on it after learning 2 look oll and full pll. It was a difficult year with covid related things being third on my list of bad things in 2020. At least as far as my personal experience goes. I'm hoping for a better 2021. Goals for this year include getting to sub 1 for 3bld, getting a sub 20 AO5 and being globally sub 25 (AO100). Thanks for doing this giveaway! I'm excited to keep the ball, er cube rolling.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
2020 was when I started cubing more seriously. I went from having very little skill to being pretty "fast" at Megaminx and Clock. I also started my Youtube channel, and have had a lot of fun with that. In 2021, I am going to be doing more focused practice instead of just solves in order to improve further. Although I already have an 11 M Pro, I would still like to win this one in order to give it away for a nearing Youtube subscriber milestone, 500!

In the spirit of the new year, I'm going to do some puzzle giveaways. To start, I will be giving away a brand new Gan 11 M Pro 3x3!
View attachment 14479

All you have to do is reply to this thread telling about your 2020 cubing story during this covid lockdown period. Just some ideas of what to write: how did you practice? How has your cubing practice/competing changed since covid? What improvements have you made? What, if anything, will you change in 2021? I'll leave it open, it can be as long or short as you want.

Only 1 reply per person.

From all the entries, all the replies will go into a random number generator and a winner will be chosen at random. It starts now and will end in 10 days on January 17th at midnight EST GMT-5, so get your response in early!

Good luck, looking forward to the responses. Happy cubing!
In November & December I decided to cube a minimum of 30 mins a day, everyday. My fastest time up to that point was 2 mins 39 secs. The last week of December my fastest time was 37 secs. I know it's nowhere near what most of you guys can do, but beating my time by 2 mins flipped my 2020 around.

huytton

In the spirit of the new year, I'm going to do some puzzle giveaways. To start, I will be giving away a brand new Gan 11 M Pro 3x3!
View attachment 14479

All you have to do is reply to this thread telling about your 2020 cubing story during this covid lockdown period. Just some ideas of what to write: how did you practice? How has your cubing practice/competing changed since covid? What improvements have you made? What, if anything, will you change in 2021? I'll leave it open, it can be as long or short as you want.

Only 1 reply per person.

From all the entries, all the replies will go into a random number generator and a winner will be chosen at random. It starts now and will end in 10 days on January 17th at midnight EST GMT-5, so get your response in early!

During Covid lockdown I had time to bring out my old rubik's cubes to mess with again (I am now 53 years-old). While doing a podcast with two good friends of mine, he asked me to solve his son's Rubik's cube (3x3x3). My one friend, also in his late 50s, was amazed that I solved it in about a minute (I am old, a little rusty and the cube was 'pos' from Walmart). Anyway, I want to get a better cube (3x3x3) so I can start teaching my friends who are all in our 50s. It's like learning guitar, if you get a 'pos' guitar you will become discouraged in learning it. Yes, old people can learn to cube, too!

Laila

I started cubing during Covid so that I could have something to take my mind off life. I found out I really enjoyed it and started doing online comps and practicing all the time. I would wake up and the first thing I would do is cube. I would end up cubing 5 hours a day and started to get times below 25. It has been really therapeutic and become a sport in my world.

Fromage1926

I actually just got back into cubing last year! My cubing adventures first began in late 2017, when I got interested in the 3x3. I learned full beginner's method over winter break and got a PB of around 50 seconds in 2018. Slowly, though, I practiced less and less. I had learned intuitive F2L, but the daunting thought of having to learn full CFOP discouraged me quite a bit. I ended up quitting.

One day, I discovered that a good friend of mine was actually into cubing, and he had already learned full CFOP! Having not cubed for almost two years, I took a look at my one decent cube, the Dayan Zhanchi, in the middle of 2020. I could still recall most of my algorithms, but I was getting really sick of beginner's. I then decided to step up, and actually get faster. CFOP (or at least the algorithm count of it) had left a sour taste in my mouth, even before I first quit, so I went searching for a method, discussing some things with my cuber friend. I was really considering Roux, but I wasn't too much of a fan of blockbuilding and M moves. Soon though, I remembered one of my favorite YouCubers, ColorfulPockets. In some of his old videos I had watched before, he would talk about methods, and he himself used ZZ-CT. I looked into ZZ, on the speedsolving wiki, mostly. It wasn't too exotic, but also had the unique element of EO and dozens of variations to choose from. Hearing so much about CT, I became filled with motivation, looked up a ZZ tutorial and wanted to get to the CT algs as fast as possible.

By October I had learned ZZ with only a few PLLs left to learn. "Finally, I can start CT soon!", I thought. It was then that I discovered ColorfulPockets actually streamed on Twitch, even if he wasn't making videos anymore. I told him in chat that he had inspired me to learn CT soon, but he then said that he didn't consider the variant very good, anymore. He is now using ZZ-A and is in the process of learning ZBLL.

This realization made me quite sad for a few days. I knew I was definitely sticking with ZZ, but which variant should I pick? Through Tao Yu's algorithm database discord server, I got into the "ZZ Method Solvers" server and a lot of my questions were answered. Not only that, it is a very nice community and I really enjoy just chatting with the members as well. Currently, I am planning on learning some COLLs and then going to tackle at least the T U and L sets of ZBLL. I still need to work on EOCross and look-ahead/recognition, first.

At the time of me writing this, I average about 31 seconds. I practice often, to one day overtake my friend, who averages about 22 seconds. I also got another one of my friends into cubing for the first time, and he also wants to learn ZZ! So yeah, my journey has been a bit of a bumpy one, but I am very happy with where I stand and what the future might hold.

I want to thank my friend who got me back into cubing, the speedsolving forums, Tao Yu, ColorfulPockets and most of all, the ZMS discord server. Thank you for reading.

D

Deleted member 55877

I actually just got back into cubing last year! My cubing adventures first began in late 2017, when I got interested in the 3x3. I learned full beginner's method over winter break and got a PB of around 50 seconds in 2018. Slowly, though, I practiced less and less. I had learned intuitive F2L, but the daunting thought of having to learn full CFOP discouraged me quite a bit. I ended up quitting.

One day, I discovered that a good friend of mine was actually into cubing, and he had already learned full CFOP! Having not cubed for almost two years, I took a look at my one decent cube, the Dayan Zhanchi, in the middle of 2020. I could still recall most of my algorithms, but I was getting really sick of beginner's. I then decided to step up, and actually get faster. CFOP (or at least the algorithm count of it) had left a sour taste in my mouth, even before I first quit, so I went searching for a method, discussing some things with my cuber friend. I was really considering Roux, but I wasn't too much of a fan of blockbuilding and M moves. Soon though, I remembered one of my favorite YouCubers, ColorfulPockets. In some of his old videos I had watched before, he would talk about methods, and he himself used ZZ-CT. I looked into ZZ, on the speedsolving wiki, mostly. It wasn't too exotic, but also had the unique element of EO and dozens of variations to choose from. Hearing so much about CT, I became filled with motivation, looked up a ZZ tutorial and wanted to get to the CT algs as fast as possible.

By October I had learned ZZ with only a few PLLs left to learn. "Finally, I can start CT soon!", I thought. It was then that I discovered ColorfulPockets actually streamed on Twitch, even if he wasn't making videos anymore. I told him in chat that he had inspired me to learn CT soon, but he then said that he didn't consider the variant very good, anymore. He is now using ZZ-A and is in the process of learning ZBLL.

This realization made me quite sad for a few days. I knew I was definitely sticking with ZZ, but which variant should I pick? Through Tao Yu's algorithm database discord server, I got into the "ZZ Method Solvers" server and a lot of my questions were answered. Not only that, it is a very nice community and I really enjoy just chatting with the members as well. Currently, I am planning on learning some COLLs and then going to tackle at least the T U and L sets of ZBLL. I still need to work on EOCross and look-ahead/recognition, first.

At the time of me writing this, I average about 31 seconds. I practice often, to one day overtake my friend, who averages about 22 seconds. I also got another one of my friends into cubing for the first time, and he also wants to learn ZZ! So yeah, my journey has been a bit of a bumpy one, but I am very happy with where I stand and what the future might hold.

I want to thank my friend who got me back into cubing, the speedsolving forums, Tao Yu, ColorfulPockets and most of all, the ZMS discord server. Thank you for reading.
Congratulations on your first post, and welcome to the forums!
ZZ is a cool method! I think CFOP is objectively better, but feel free to choose whichever method you like! Cubing is not only about speed but also how much fun you're having. If you enjoy ZZ then I would suggest you stick to it.

Hayden Ng

WCA
2018NGHA02
After not really cubing during 2019, (which was unfortunate as that was the year worlds came to my country) I started around the beginning of 2020. near the end of last year, I got myself a 7x7 and a square-1. Next weekend I have a comp, which is the first one I will have been to since 2018. After that, I hope to get better at big cubes.
Good luck to everyone who entered the giveaway, and congrats to whoever wins! (hopefully me)

Couber

So, I start cubing in march 2020 and averaging 40 seconds on 2x2 cube, I was proud to get my first sub-5 in July I was so happy, After that, I started to cube with a 3x3 cube and Average 100 seconds by using LBL method. until now, I still use the Intermediate LBL method and Average 50 seconds! Then, I join the forum at the end of 2020, I think I a lot slower than you guys

Last edited:

Ace19212

View attachment 14479

Only 1 reply per person.

Well I dont have a story but I used to cube in 2019 which on a 2x2 i did not know how to solve a 3x3 but then i lost intrest in cubing. But then in lockdown I dedicated myself to learn to solve a 3x3 rubiks cube. And what do you know i solved it and averged under 1 minute. I am averaging under 20 seconds with cfop but thge problem is i have a rubiks brand 3x3 so I would like to have a new and better cube as it could increase my time and performance. Thanks.

Kathy218

For the first half of covid, I didn’t cube. But when I was super bored and when i saw my friends cubing, I just bought a cube and started cubing. I rly have no idea y i got a rubiks brand one. It took me a week to learn beginner method. Now I have learn begginer cfop. I have three cubes, the rubiks brand one, a qiyi warrior w, and a yuxin little magic m. I got 33 sec recently. This year, I plan on learning full cfop. I also plan on starting on 2x2 and maybe 4x4.

Last edited:

eric8he

I've known how to solve for many years now, got through half of intuitive F2L and lost interest. End of October I was bored and decided to get an RS3M 2020 and to pick up cubing again. Even though I averaged 40 seconds, I was instantly hooked. I broke sub-30 within a week, and was rapidly progressing. I set a goal - to be globally sub-20 by the end of the year at the beginning of November. Little did I know that the seemingly 2-month journey would be over in under... 2 weeks. Going into 2021, I was averaging 16.5. Last week, my average miraculously went down a full second, and the same thing happened this week. Hopefully I'll be able to crush my sub-10 goal long before 2022. I need to drill algs a lot and practice fingertricks, my LL and cross are pretty slow in comparison to my F2L.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
I'm just going to start by saying that I don't want/need the cube, I have plenty (including a Tengyun v2 that I main and am very happy with), and it would be awesome to see somebody who really "needs" this cube to win.

I started cubing in early 2018, and made steady improvement up until I was averaging about 20 seconds on 3x3 early this year. When everything got shut down in early March, I found myself with much more time to practice than normal. Looking back on it, I wish I would have practiced much differently, but I enjoyed the cubing that I did during quarantine, which is what counts the most. I finished learning full PLL and got myself all the way down to sub-17 over this year. I switched mains 3 times (Gan X ---> Thunderclap v3 M ---> Tengyun v2), and steadily improved with each new cube. I was able to set up my Tengyun just right, and start practicing. While I didn't focus on one event, I did improve in everything.

This year, for the first time, I started to explore some new methods. Early this year, I learned Petrus. A relatively similar solving experience to CFOP, just basically blockbuilding the F2L. This has taught me skills that I will be able to use if I ever decide to get into FMC, and blockbuilding is useful in general. Late last year, I started to learn Beginner's Mehta, which improved my blockbuilding skills even more, as well as helping to be one of the first to learn this new method. Even later, I basically realized that ZZ is essentially just CFOP, but with EO at the beginning, and I learned that as well. Petrus and ZZ have also helped with my EO skills, which could also possibly come in handy with FMC, as well as using during CFOP solves.

Overall, I made some great improvement this year, and I look forward to seeing how me and everybody else improves this year and beyond!

I was averaging about 30 sec and I was able to get it down to sub 23. I wasn't doing daily practice. Someday I would just focus on f2l someday only cross. I also got many 16-17 sec solves . This year I want to learn full pll and oll

CubingPig

YouTube
Visit Channel
During quarantine, I finally got around to learning full PLL. Before quarantine I was averaging around 30-40 seconds, and now I average 25-37 seconds. Thanks to the extra time, I have started learning more algs and practicing lookahead rather than just doing many solves in a row. My goals for 2021 are to learn full OLL and be sub-30. I am also focusing on optimizing my F2L and learning advanced cases, as well as turning slower for lookahead rather than spamming tps with pauses.

Last edited: