• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random draw: win a Gan 11 M Pro 3x3!

RandomPris

YouTube
Visit Channel
2020 was a bad year for cubing for me. In the first half of the year, I practiced on and off but stopped practicing 3bld for some reason. I was planning to organize the 3rd competition my country has ever had, but then covid came and ruined everything. Then my job expected so much from me working from home that I stopped practicing until around September October. I actually got slower and forgot some alg's I was learning at the beginning of the year. I was so disappointed with my cubing this year that I decided to practice cubing for 1 hour every single day this year. Until now, I did not miss a day. So that's good news. My goals are sub20 3x3, sub 1 4x4. sub 5 3bld, purchasing a new 2x2, 5x5, and pyraminx.

GAN CUBER

I just saw there are so many replies and I thought so many people need a better cube so i will not be participating cause i already have a xs and will get the 11m pro on my bday:)

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Struggled for motivation at the start and then remembered what comps were like for me in 2010-2014. I didn't improve much at all. But being in New Zealand I got to have a comp in October and December. We only spent six weeks in lockdown here. We have been back to normal or as close as for months now.

Arnav22

I had stopped cubing initially, but took it up again some weeks back ; have slowed a bit, but I hope I catch up soon!

AlphaZiege

First started cubing years ago. During the lockdown I started to learn advanced CFOP. Still learning... Good Luck to everyone!

chiefoggy

First started cubing in the middle of 2019, did not do much, and decided to do more about cubing in 2020.
I leaned some new puzzles, such as pyraminx, 4x4 and more.

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
During lockdown I started cubing when my mom gave me an intergear 3x3 on amazon, and she bought it as a secret because i saw the cubers documentary in netflix. It took 3 days for me to learn how to solve the cube, and I averaged around 5 minutes then. Practice brought me to around 2 minutes, and more practice got me to 1:30. I already knew about speedsolving.com then, but I thought I was too slow to be a speedcuber like them. I was wrong!

I registered in speedsolving.com though, looking for a way to get faster than just a minute and a half. I made a member intro, made a quest thread, and it took a while to get under 1 minute, but eventually I did. I was averaging 50 seconds then, aiming to get around 40 seconds. 40 seconds took not much time, just a bit of practice and some algs maybe to get it down, and I also learned intuitive f2l. Now I wanted to reach 30 seconds, and I did, wasn't really hard and only took a few weeks. Sub 30 is where I got really slow. Because of school, I didn't make much progress in 2 months, I didn't even did a solve the rest of the day most of the time. But now in 2021 I've gotten back to practicing, and I'm almost there to sub 30!

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
I started in 2018 but quit because of school. Suddenly before the lockdown, there was someone new in my second period class. He had a cube and sat right next to me. He encouraged me to get back to cubing. I only had one cube at the time, my rubik's brand. I bought a YLM from amazon and because sub 40. I learned new things and attended Cubing @ Home. I later bought a horrible used Gan X for $3 out of my pocket. I recently bought the RS3M 2020 and am sub 35. Horrible improvement over the lockdown.

Jeffdacuber

I picked cubing back up in 2020, and It was a great year for me cubing wise. I managed to shave off about 20 seconds, and learned 2 look cfop. I am currently learning full pll. I practice new algs, until I can consistently use them, and I learn 2 algs a day. My goal is to be sub 15 by the end of 2021, as i average about 22 seconds rn. I also got much better at 2x2. I learned a part of ortega, and I am continuing it now. I hope to be sub 5 by the end of 2021.

edit: I just want to share my story, I already have this cube, so I am not a part of the giveaway

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think overall, 2020 was a very satisfying cubing year for me. I didn't do hardly as much solving as I would have wanted, but I did accomplish the one main thing that I did want to do.

Starting the year, I think I was at about 280-300 ZBLLs, and I was relatively sure that I would be able to finish by summer. There weren't very many unique cases left, so if I stayed consistent, it wouldn't be too hard. I stayed on pace through February, but then the pandemic hit, I moved back home, and I cut out most of my hobbies to focus on my academics and be able to finish the year with a passable GPA.

In the summer, I recorded a couple videos for my youtube channel, just to get some more solves on camera. I started posting more solves and walkthroughs too. I decided that I really really wanted to finish ZBLL to help with my OH, so I quit megaminx. I also went super competitive on a typing game for a little over a month, so I didn't really make any progress in July. I stopped doing solves for a bit trying to focus all of my energy on learning algs, but that didn't pay off too well. I realized that solving tends to make one faster, so I did a couple thousand solves and got some fast OH ao100 pbs which was nice, but it wasn't helping me learn new ZBLLs.

The year was drawing to an end, and a family member tested positive for covid. I had to/got to be quarantined for two weeks and spent maybe the first 4 days learning so many algs. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to hold onto that pace and spent the rest not doing a whole lot. With only a handful of algs left to learn and with the new year approaching rapidly, I was able to take advantage of christmas and new year's breaks from my work to grind out the remaining algs before the year closed.

Ultimately, I made essentially no improvements time-wise, but going forward, I've put myself in an excellent position to improve. I want to make a conscious effort to do more solves, but also to train/replace/optimize my algs which has never really been something that I've done much. I think taking the year one month at a time and evaluating what I can do at each step can be a very effective way to make sure that I am intentional about my practice.

Vishnal

In the spirit of the new year, I'm going to do some puzzle giveaways. To start, I will be giving away a brand new Gan 11 M Pro 3x3!
View attachment 14479

All you have to do is reply to this thread telling about your 2020 cubing story during this covid lockdown period. Just some ideas of what to write: how did you practice? How has your cubing practice/competing changed since covid? What improvements have you made? What, if anything, will you change in 2021? I'll leave it open, it can be as long or short as you want.

Only 1 reply per person.

From all the entries, all the replies will go into a random number generator and a winner will be chosen at random. It starts now and will end in 10 days on January 17th at midnight EST GMT-5, so get your response in early!

Good luck, looking forward to the responses. Happy cubing!
I only started cubing in the covid lockdown period and have been aiming for a sub 30 second average for now. literally today I got my best time of 23.7 seconds

SlowCubez

Few people saying they don't want that cube - hey, if any of you win you're more than welcome to send it to me?

I don't practise as much as I should/could. My cheap cubes are just so stiff and notchy. After a new hours my arms ache and the girlfriend tells me that the constant clickity click noise it makes gets on her nerves. Well, she shouldn't have bought me a cheap, clickity, stiff 4x4 - but dare I tell her that? no chance :)

Humble Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Before Corona, I was super slow in basically every event, averaging 8 on 2x2, 29 on 3x3, and 2:58 on megaminx. At the time those were the only event I really cared about, and were the only cubes I had. Now I have a collection of over 30 cubes, I average 4 on 2x2, 13 on 3x3, 1:28 on megaminx, and almost sub 6 on clock. I also own and can compete in every WCA event. Although quarentine presented many issues with staying at home, an upside of it was having much more time to cube and get more involved in the cubing community.

Swamp347

WCA
2018PORT06
YouTube
Visit Channel
My practice was really off and on during 2020. Sometimes I’d go a month without but then go 3 with and vice versa. It was just how I was feeling and did pretty good at 5x5 and 6x6. Still just a lot of work to continue.

scrubizilla

YouTube
Visit Channel
I started hardcore cubing in september so ive never been to a competition and ive never cubed outside of covid (except when i was solving in 10 minutes etc)
I already knew how to solve it and i basically just had a lot of extra time at home, so i cubed. i toke a few breaks over the year but ive always come back, my times got from averageing 2 minutes to averageing 13-14 seconds! my pb right now is 9.91 and i want to be solidly sub 10 this spring! Even tough covid has been rough it helped me to get better at cubing, so Yeah.

Last edited:
I was suprise about my improvement cause i am not that good of a cube. But the fact I I got my time down from 1 min to about avg.12.22

bryanliew26

Ever since the Covid-19 lockdown down had happened on my country. I’ve more time to start cubing more frequently at home since I’m quarantined for a few months back then. Throughout those months. I’ve been learning some 3x3 PLL Algorithms to get under 30 seconds on my solves(now 19/21 done). Not gonna lie there’s not much people who cubes on my country.

2021 had begun. Maybe it will be a good time to get faster at cubing now. I also heard that the Gan 11 M Pro is one the current flagship cube on the market. I’ve been anticipated to have that cube as I don’t have a Gan cube before. I might get a chance to win the giveaway! Who knows?

Cheesecake05

In the spirit of the new year, I'm going to do some puzzle giveaways. To start, I will be giving away a brand new Gan 11 M Pro 3x3!
View attachment 14479

All you have to do is reply to this thread telling about your 2020 cubing story during this covid lockdown period. Just some ideas of what to write: how did you practice? How has your cubing practice/competing changed since covid? What improvements have you made? What, if anything, will you change in 2021? I'll leave it open, it can be as long or short as you want.

Only 1 reply per person.

From all the entries, all the replies will go into a random number generator and a winner will be chosen at random. It starts now and will end in 10 days on January 17th at midnight EST GMT-5, so get your response in early!

Good luck, looking forward to the responses. Happy cubing!
HI! Thanks for doing this giveaway. During COVID I fell back in love with cubing and have been working on achieving sub10 for quite some time now. I've started with learning COLL algorithms and hope to finish those soon and learn some winter variation algorithms as well. I feel like my lookahead has improved but there's definitely still room for it to get even better.