• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Qiyi Thunderclap

Your thoughts on this cube

• Total voters

fiftyniner

I have always like loose, fast but controllable cubes
Hualong, set loose, pops. Aolong V2 is too "tight". 356 catches (and if I do the corner mod, it jiggles/rattles)

I revisited the thunderclap last night, but set it loose, tempered with 10k differential oil in the corner stalks to manage the overshoot.
The thunderclap is a now great cube - feels like a better weilong.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can't decide weather I should get a thunderclap or a MeiYing... I tried them both at KCubing, and love both of them. I think I'm going to get a Meiying (got my 16.46 on it) and I really like the block-y feel, but I also love the feel of the Thunder Clap...

fiftyniner

I can't decide weather I should get a thunderclap or a MeiYing... I tried them both at KCubing, and love both of them. I think I'm going to get a Meiying (got my 16.46 on it) and I really like the block-y feel, but I also love the feel of the Thunder Clap...

Why not both - meiying is expensive, yes, but thunderclap is rather cheap (at least at lightake or cubezz)

AnthonyCubes

Just ordered one for myself from TheCubicle.us. I'll be letting you guys know how it is when I get it. Can't wait!

Update: I got the cube a few days ago, and I am very happy with it.

First Impressions: Came in a big box, like, a BIG box. I thought I was opening a 4x4 or 5x5. Stock shades are close to Moyu. I'm colorblind, so, with all cubes I get, I replace my stickers with a set that I can solve with before anything else. First turns were smooth as butter. This cube has literally NO bumpiness to it. Compared to something like a ShaungRen, the turning feels heavier, and more force seems to be needed to turn a face. It's not enough that the cube feels like it's sluggish, it just has a nice weight to it, which I found to be enjoyable. After taking it apart to lube the core, I found that only 4 of the screws had washers, which kinda sucks. I will have to order more. I broke the cube in with an avg of 100, lubed the core with Weight 5, and put a small amount of it on the pieces as well.

Corner Cutting: With my tensions, which are a little bit loose, if not average, this thing could corner cut very well. 45 with ease, and max was at about 50 degrees. Now, right when the regular corner cutting maxed out, the cube would cut the other way. This left about a 3 degree "window" where the cube could lock up. And when this lock up can only happen when you overshoot by about 60 degrees, you don't have to worry about it. This thing just flows through algs like nothing. The turning is precise and slightly clicky, giving it a nostalgic feel that an old Rubik's brand cube might have, except, unlike a Rubik's cube, this cube can actually corner cut. Overall, the feeling is amazing in my opinion, and I just love to solve on this puzzle.

Verdict:I highly recommend you check this cube out. For only $9, you can't really go wrong. It has everything you should expect from new 3x3 speedcubes, and it has a buttery smooth feel that, when combined with the stability, makes for a controllable, fast cube. Corner cutting is as good if not better than other 3x3's, and I think that this could be a main for beginners and sub 10 solvers alike.

Last edited:

AnthonyCubes

I don't have that much, and I also just got a different cube.

I would get the Thunderclap. In my opinion, stability is everything. And if you find that it isn't the best cube for you, the low cost means you don't lose as much money than if you got a MeiYing and didn't end up liking it. Get what you think would best suit you.

Last edited:

Ingo

Some shops (f.e. Cubezz.com) sell a Qiyi Thunderbolt. Is that the same as the Thunderclap? I guess so, buy can anyone confirm?

Cubister

I don't have that much, and I also just got a different cube.
You could get this cube for $5.85 incl. shipping from cubezz. They accept payment via Paypal.

Some shops (f.e. Cubezz.com) sell a Qiyi Thunderbolt. Is that the same as the Thunderclap? I guess so, buy can anyone confirm?
Yes, the Qiyi/MFG/Mofangge Lei Ting/Thunderclap/Thunderbolt is the same cube.

I don't know if it really makes a difference, but the first time I ordered from cubezz, it took them 11 days to ship my order, after I contacted them. The whole process took 29 days from the day I ordered and payed to the arrvial at my door.

The 2.order took only 13 days. Before I payed I wrote in the field "Optimal shipping time:" "Immediately". Not sure if they really care about that field, but the whole shipping process was a lot faster this time.

I received 2 stickerless Thunderclaps from cubezz yesterday. The cubes came wrapped in a plastic sheet + manuals and the bags, no Qiyi cardboard box, so basically a bulk version.

The cubes had been "lubricated" with a sticky substance, not sure why. Except for the core I took everything apart, cleaned it and used a 1€ silikon spray to lubricate it. When I put everything together I was worried to break a piece, because of the thin plastic material. The pieces feel fragile and the cornerpieces are a bit unstable on the tip which is part of the mechanism. Compared to a Yulong or Aolong mini it feels cheap and not as sturdy.

Of course the price is quite low and the cube was as expected. For a V2 I would like to see a little thicker and more stable plastic and maybe a different approach for the center caps to adjust the tensions.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Checkout My Unboxing And First Impressions Video Of The QiYi Thunderclap! IMO, This Is A Great Cube and is Comparable To Moyu Cube Out Of The Box.
Catch It Live Here:

And Ya, Don't Forget To Check My YouTube Cubing Channel 'Periodic Cuber': http://https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVRCAKbq7qjKq3DA9vqYUFQ?sub_confirmation=1[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean the difference in pricing? Ever heard of market economy?

Yes i meant the difference in pricing, sorry for not clarifying. i just find it weird there's such a big difference, but now i see the rest of cubezz products are cheaper, ok, nvm then (I'm guessing from your statement that they are the same thing).