• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Qiyi Thunderclap

Your thoughts on this cube

• Total voters
WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
franktangtartharakul
Hmm. My Thunderclap is rather weird. My tensions cannot be equal (meaning I cannot tighten each side by 5 turns) because if I do put equal tensions for all sides, some will either be loose or super tight, so all the sides doesn't have the equal number of turns but corner cutting is just about the same. Anyone has this problem?
this happened to me with my weilong. it turned out some of the sides had washers and some did not. check if all your sides have washers.

Quick update- getting better and better as I break it in! Still havent tensioned, but it's even smoother and crunchier ( I love the crunchiness ) In 2 days I have broken my pb so many times it is crazy. I have gotten 7 sub-30s with this and set a pb of 22.05 with LBL. This cube is simply amazing. I will tension tomorrow and update on the performance! :D

WCA
2016CHAI03
So I got traxxas 50k in the mail the other day and decided to use the over-lubing method that chris olsen uses and I have to say, traxxas 50k actually feels different from cubicle weight 5, i think its heavier. My thunderclap used to be over-lubed with weight 5 and after breaking in it was pretty good but it's much different than it is now. the Scratchiness is gone and it feels like a less crispy, less clicky, less flexi Aolong V2. People have already made the resemblance to an OOTB thunderclap to the aolong but it makes it so much better and closer to the aolong with traxxas 50k. Definitely recommend. Don't be fooled by the super-slowness as soon as you drop the lube, break it in for a day and you'll see the difference.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
SpeedCubeReview
So I got traxxas 50k in the mail the other day and decided to use the over-lubing method that chris olsen uses and I have to say, traxxas 50k actually feels different from cubicle weight 5, i think its heavier. My thunderclap used to be over-lubed with weight 5 and after breaking in it was pretty good but it's much different than it is now. the Scratchiness is gone and it feels like a less crispy, less clicky, less flexi Aolong V2. People have already made the resemblance to an OOTB thunderclap to the aolong but it makes it so much better and closer to the aolong with traxxas 50k. Definitely recommend. Don't be fooled by the super-slowness as soon as you drop the lube, break it in for a day and you'll see the difference.
I agree. I always felt my Thunderclap is an AoLong v3. But just note that it's not a method that Chris does but pretty much what many if not most cubers do. I know Colin Burns puts a lot of lube in, I do that as well with most of my 3x3s. I mean, huge credit for all that Chris has done for the cubing community and not putting him down in any way, but I've heard over lubing as the "Chris Olson method" as if no one does it but him when it is many if not most advanced cubers.

WCA
2016CHAI03
I agree. I always felt my Thunderclap is an AoLong v3. But just note that it's not a method that Chris does but pretty much what many if not most cubers do. I know Colin Burns puts a lot of lube in, I do that as well with most of my 3x3s. I mean, huge credit for all that Chris has done for the cubing community and not putting him down in any way, but I've heard over lubing as the "Chris Olson method" as if no one does it but him when it is many if not most advanced cubers.
Yep, that's why I say "method that Chris Olsen uses". I'm not stating that he was the pioneer of over-living or anything.

Coolio

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
SpeedCubeReview
So, should I overlube my thunderclap with traxxas 50k?
If you want. Some people like a lot of lube in a cube, some people like a little, some people like none. Also it depends how think the lube is and what your intent is.

It doesn't hurt to try it. If you don't like it just take it apart and clean it out.

I like this cube a lot! I got a black one a few weeks ago from cubicle and I just ordered a white one and a stickerless one from puzzelsupply!

After I broke it in, I lubed the core with maru and the pieces with weight 2.

I agree with the consensus here that the cube is moderately fast, stable, clacky, smooth, and corner-cuts very well! I've never had a pop; but, I have had a corner twist or 2 when I was first getting used to it. This cube is low cost mains material for sure.

WCA
2014ARIF01
YouTube
Faraz Arif
For a few days, it was my main. Soon I switched back to my (extremely old) MoYu WeiLong. That thing never gets bad. Plus using Weight 1 in it makes it ultra fast. My complain with the Thunderclap is that it too heavy and not nearly as snappy as I'd like.

WCA
2016BAIR04
Purchased at TheCubicle.com
April 13, 2016
Stickerless version

The bad part: the yellow is too pale for my taste, and the pea/vomit green works fine for recognition but is a truly ghastly color in its own right. Just not as pretty as it could be in the stickerless version. Also, I bought this as a birthday present for my nephew, so I didn't keep it for myself :-(.

The good: Everything else. I don't have a ton of experience with different cubes, but using this one instead of my stickerless Zhanchi immediately dropped my average from ~42 seconds to ~37 seconds. I know that at that speed it's not supposed to be a cube thing, but the cuber. That's how it worked though.

Ranking of turning quality of all the cubes I've handled:
1. Thunderclap
2. [A large empty gap]
3. Aosu
4. Lingpo
5. Zhanchi
6. Rubik's 3x3
7. Unmodded Shengshou 5x5

3, 4, and 5 are close, and 6 and 7 are basically tied before you take into account extra layers. After taking that into account they switch. The point is that the Thunderclap is a clear winner.

What are the details of this method? Searched for it but couldn't find it.

WCA
2016CHAI03
What are the details of this method? Searched for it but couldn't find it.
It's not sophisticated, it's really just as it sounds: just overlube it. I took out an edge, and dropped traxxas everywhere (side of both corners, top and front center caps, tracks and both sides of the edge you took out). Keep in mind this cube and the version 2 as well seem to need a lot of breaking in. The plastic just seems to wear out more quickly than others and the cube internals can get really dirty. You might need to go through a couple clean-ups before you get it really nice.

I found this out after I lost my thunderclap and bought another one along with the version 2. The version one I set up the same as before after standard 100 solves and felt NOTHING like my old thunderclap. Haven't touched it since due to my version2 which I love. The version 2 has a different feel but the plastic still has a bunch of residue after thousands of solves. I just cleaned it out a second time and I'm going to lube it again tomorrow (not at home ATM). Basically my point is the more you can get ur thunderclap dirty, PROBABLY the better the overlubing will help. Be patient with it!

Prolly more than u were expecting to hear (and more than I thought I was going to type) but I felt the experiences I have are important because it seems to me the break in process for a version 1 thunderclap takes thousands of solves.

Coolio

Just got this in my mail from lightake I already own a gans 356 a yuexiao an aolong v2 and a mini weilong, I got this cube just to add to my collection but I didnt expect much from it, the cube at first was sandy and fast. As I broke it in and lubed it with cubicle wt.4 it became really smooth and controllable and just perfect 11/10 would buy this again.