• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Problem getting below 70 seconds

Jackason13524

I've been practicing for a while and my time is always about the same. My average is 1:10. I've thought about moving on to a better method (I'm currently using basic F2L and 2 look OLL and PLL). I'm worried about moving on because most tutorials for better methods say my average should be 40 or lower. I've been practicing 2 look for a while and nothing seems to be happening with my time. Is there any helpful tutorials I could use? Should I move on anyway, or just keep practicing? I'm using a ShengShou 3x3. Would a different cube help? Any information would be useful and appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
SS 3x3 (or any cube really) should be good enough to get you under a minute, imo. Do you find yourself pausing a lot between F2L pairs? Are you using fingertricks instead of all wrist turns? 4LLL (2-look OLL and 2-look PLL) is good enough to get you pretty far. How long is "awhile"?

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You're already under 100 seconds. Way under it, in fact.

If you want to avoid F turns, you can do rotations (y or y'). But you should learn to do L turns quickly. Try doing the same moves you normally do, but with the other hand.

RubiXer

WCA
2012MORA05
Cube doesn't matter at this point. I was using a Rubik's brand and LBL till I averaged 30 seconds. All you need to do at this point is learn fingertricks.

AlexByard

YouTube
Visit Channel
Screw finger tricks for now! You can easily get a sub-40 average using wrist turning. Focus on your cross and F2L, if you know 4LLL with a solid understanding of how pairs work, you should be well under a minute in no time, just keep playing around with it.

Jackason13524

I can solve the cube with relatively no "pauses to think". However my main problem is doing F turns. I end up turning the entire cube sideways and then back to turn F once.By the way, sorry about the 100 and 1:10 seconds thing.

Also, about how many weeks of practice should it take me to get to "x" time.

Last edited:

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
However my main problem is doing F turns. I end up turning the entire cube sideways and then back to turn F once.

All you have to do is shift the grip of your right hand a bit while holding the cube steady with your left hand. Hold the cube with your right thumb on the DR sticker and your right middle finger on the UR sticker, then your right index finger should be able to do an F.

RubiXer

WCA
2012MORA05
Screw finger tricks for now! You can easily get a sub-40 average using wrist turning. Focus on your cross and F2L, if you know 4LLL with a solid understanding of how pairs work, you should be well under a minute in no time, just keep playing around with it.
*sighs* why on earth would you wrist turn when he already has a speedcube. "screw finger tricks for now", sorry but that was an extremely ignorant thing to say, if he learns them now the quicker he will progress and get used to those fingertricks and develope his own turning style.

AlexByard

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think you read too much into my post. My bluntness was just to emphasize my opinion that finger tricks should not be to much of a priority. I never said he should "wrist turn", just, once again, highlighting my previous opinion. In short. Finger tricks are good and will make you much faster (in comparison to wrist use), but I personally believe working on your F2L would be more beneficial in reaching the sub-60 mark, faster.

Im sorry if I caused offense.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can solve the cube with relatively no "pauses to think". However my main problem is doing F turns. I end up turning the entire cube sideways and then back to turn F once.By the way, sorry about the 100 and 1:10 seconds thing.

Also, about how many weeks of practice should it take me to get to "x" time.

Maybe you need to work on efficiency as well as fingertricks. Each F2L pair shouldn't really take more than 8 moves. How fast you progress depends on how much you practice every day and how you practice. Don't worry about how fast you're supposed to be by a certain time. Just practice and be happy with progress.

RubiXer

WCA
2012MORA05
I think you read too much into my post. My bluntness was just to emphasize my opinion that finger tricks should not be to much of a priority. I never said he should "wrist turn", just, once again, highlighting my previous opinion. In short. Finger tricks are good and will make you much faster (in comparison to wrist use), but I personally believe working on your F2L would be more beneficial in reaching the sub-60 mark, faster.

Im sorry if I caused offense.
You didn't cause offense. But for what he was asking for here which was how to get under 100 seconds (pretty sure he meant 1 minute) F2L, OLL, and PLL are pretty much pointless at this point compared to learning fingertricks. Let me explain it this way, let's say he learns an algorithm with poor fingertricks and later he learns new fingertricks. That would mean in order to get faster at that algorithm he would have to re learns how to fingertrick it. So personally in my opinion learning fingertricks first is much more efficient than using **** fingertricks and having to re learn algs later. Trust me Jackason13524 I've had to spend time that I could've spent practicing, re learning how to fingertrick algorithms. So pause on F2L, OLL, and PLL and get down LBL and fingertricks until you average about 40 seconds I would say. But hey that's just my 2 cents :)

Jackason13524

I was checking my times and I realized I get the same time when I rush and when I take my time. I think this is because when I rush I over turn and the cube gets caught.
Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I might just need more practice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackason13524

Kinda a newby off topic question about the forums but, would a post for opinions on best beginner's methods on a different type of cube go in the "Help" section, or the "General" section?

Arkwell

What helped me a lot was Badmephisto's Youtube page, it was the first that actually made sense of 'Intuitive F2L' The OLLs & PLLs you can get elsewhere as you get better. There is no time to get to 'x', just practice like everyone says till it starts to make sense and try to think of a solve from Cross to PLL as one long continuos algorithm. That's what I'm trying to do.

Last edited:

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Fingertricks, more algorithms and a good speedcube will only get you so far. I'll bet you anything you're losing most of your time in F2L recognition and lookahead. That's something most people are still practicing and honing well after they've passed the sub-20 mark. Sub-60 should be easily doable with 4 look LL.

Jackason13524

1: Why is there a quote in Arkwell's post? It has absolutely nothing to do with what you said.
2: Badmephisto's page is really useful, I use it all the time.