• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Probability Thread

YaleZ1023

YouTube
Visit Channel
I just have to say this:

WOLFRAM ALPHA IS AMAZING

That is all.

That's actually quite funny. But how exactly were the odds of dying calculated?
After solving centers then edges, you most likely can't keep track of the scramble. Scramble was legit.
Hello, just thought somebody saying X said X said etc. looked cool.

Jeff Dunham

I asked in the probability thread the probability of having a WV case at last slot , and the answer turned out to be about 1/150.
But in practice, since a lot of f2l algs involve an (R U' R') insert at the end, I'd imagine that WV would actually appear more than 1/150 of the time.

So when actually solving, does WV appear a decent amount in cases where it is justified to use it? Like at least 1/50 chance?

Last edited:

I'm A Cuber

I asked in the probability thread the probability of having a WV case at last slot , and the answer turned out to be about 1/150.
But in practice, since a lot of f2l algs involve an (R U' R') insert at the end, I'd imagine that WV would actually appear more than 1/150 of the time.

So when actually solving, does WV appear a decent amount in cases where it is justified to use it? Like at least 1/50 chance?
You will have a wv case 1/8 times
Edit: but you can influence eo to make it slightly more common

Last edited:

SpeedyCube

What are the chances of skipping PLL on a 2x2? I just got a 9.65 seconds for the first time, and part of it was no PLL except for turning the top layer one turn, which I don’t personally count as PLL. And, regardless of wether I mix the cube or the computer scrambles, I end up skipping the PLL quite often, I would think about 1/10 or more of the time. Is there a mathematical way to determine this?

Q--

WCA
2019MCGA02
What are the chances of skipping PLL on a 2x2? I just got a 9.65 seconds for the first time, and part of it was no PLL except for turning the top layer one turn, which I don’t personally count as PLL. And, regardless of wether I mix the cube or the computer scrambles, I end up skipping the PLL quite often, I would think about 1/10 or more of the time. Is there a mathematical way to determine this?

Yep! It occurs 1/6 of the time. Here’s the math:

The corners when oriented can be arranged in 24 ways (4 places for the first corner times 3 places for the second times 2 places for the third and 1 for the last.) Considering all 4 possible AUFs brings it down to 6 (24/4).
Out of six possible arrangements, 4 are Adjacent, 1 is diagonal, and 1 is solved. Therefore the odds of a PLL skip are 1/6.