• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

YddEd

WCA
2012SHAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Look at all of badmephisto's F2L videos. They are really helpful if you want to master F2L. Definitely practice F2L if you want to get good at 2h, because that's 2/3 of most people's times.
Ok thanks Im watching a video on lookahead now. And I need to improve my F2L.

I jumped from around 45-50 seconds to mid 30s
I've been practicing for like 2 weeks and I only OCCASIONALY get under 40 sec solves.

Last edited:

legitcuber

One Handed Solving Advice

Hey Guys,
So recently I've been trying to solve one handed and I am practicing. I wanted to ask if you guys use your middle finger and thumb to hold the cube or thumb and ring finger because I've seen both and wanted to know which is faster and better (in the long term).
Thanks

Last edited:

Chrisandstuff

I usually use my thumb and middle and ring finger. If I have a double turn Ill release my middle finger to allow the double flick. But take this advice witha grain of salt I average just over a minute one handed so I cant give any really great advice anywhere.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just got into OH recently. I know more practice would help, but I feel like I have another problem. I have a long ring finger and short pinky. Doing R moves is ok but R' is sometimes really hard if I'm not holding the cube in the right angle. If I hold the cube so it's easy to do R' with my pinky, my ring finger in the back gets in the way of that layer. If I hold it so the ring finger isn't in the way, I have to reach very far for my pinky to do R'. Or if I hold my hand closer to the D face, it's hard to do U and U'. There is one place I can hold the cube that is ok, but it seems like a small window. Are there some hands that are just better for OH because of the proportions? I have a 50mm mini Zhanchi coming soon so I hope that will help a bit but any other tips or suggestions for me?

WCA
2010CANT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just got into OH recently. I know more practice would help, but I feel like I have another problem. I have a long ring finger and short pinky. Doing R moves is ok but R' is sometimes really hard if I'm not holding the cube in the right angle. If I hold the cube so it's easy to do R' with my pinky, my ring finger in the back gets in the way of that layer. If I hold it so the ring finger isn't in the way, I have to reach very far for my pinky to do R'. Or if I hold my hand closer to the D face, it's hard to do U and U'. There is one place I can hold the cube that is ok, but it seems like a small window. Are there some hands that are just better for OH because of the proportions? I have a 50mm mini Zhanchi coming soon so I hope that will help a bit but any other tips or suggestions for me?

Practice with pinky, and always try to get the cube at the right angle. I also used to have trouble with that, and another thing that helped me, was to start on a smaller cube to practice the fingertricks, then eventually move up to a full size cube.

Outsmash

How do you guys perform F and F's (Front face) moves? When I use my thumb, it ruins the "flow". I use x some times and do U or U'.
I can't seem to find a proper way to use it while speedsolving.
(I average 34-36).