• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] One-Handed Solving Discussion

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've used my ring finger for R turns for years. Now I'm starting to practise turning with the pinky instead. Now I can rotate the cube as easily, or do D turns. Then there's holding the cube. How long has it taken for people to switch who have.

SenorJuan

I switched from many years of pinky turning to ring-finger turning, and it took me 3 or 4 months to get back up to speed, if that's any guide.

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Because of the fundamental differences between OH and 2H, isn't there a great possibility that a method other than the big 4 may be the best OH method? Im thinking M-CELL/Briggs here.

i never got around to learning what those methods are, but we should look for low movecount, low rotation count, low number of B and F moves.

oh example solve of those methods would be cool, even though no one is an expert on those yet.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
One thing I've been doing (for ZZ) is this:
I recognize CMLL case(I know full CMLL I solve roux for 2H), and based on the swap(or the "number" in the letter+number combo) I AUF and then execute a niklas(or two for the diagonal swaps) to solve corner permutation, then I do a 2-gen OCLL, then EPLL. For people learning full ZBLL, you could simplify this to Niklas step, 2GLL.

any thoughts?

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
One thing I've been doing (for ZZ) is this:
I recognize CMLL case(I know full CMLL I solve roux for 2H), and based on the swap(or the "number" in the letter+number combo) I AUF and then execute a niklas(or two for the diagonal swaps) to solve corner permutation, then I do a 2-gen OCLL, then EPLL. For people learning full ZBLL, you could simplify this to Niklas step, 2GLL.

any thoughts?
You should certainly know COLL before learning ZBLL, so I don't think this is that good. If the idea is to force a 2GLL, ZZ-porky v2 would let you skip your Niklas step with only one or two extra moves.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should certainly know COLL before learning ZBLL, so I don't think this is that good. If the idea is to force a 2GLL, ZZ-porky v2 would let you skip your Niklas step with only one or two extra moves.
I do the niklas step because it makes CP recognition really easy.(just recognizing CMLL/COLL)
Im also pretty slow, so I use this so im not over 1 minute.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I do the niklas step because it makes CP recognition really easy.(just recognizing CMLL/COLL)
Im also pretty slow, so I use this so im not over 1 minute.
You should give ZZ porky a try. Start with v1. The recognition is really simply if you know CMLL recognition. You just need to look for swaps so if you look at your CMLL cases and figure out what two swapped corners look like, you'll have recognition down in under an hour. After that it's just one 5 move alg to swap corners: L' U (R/R2/R') U' L. A quarter R in the middle does an adjacent swap and R2 does a diagonal swap. You'll recognise that it's basically just a cancelled Niklas.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a hard time choosing a OH alg for OLL55.

Antoine Cantin proposes either
r U2 R' U' R2 r' U R' U' r U' r'
or
R U2 R' U' R U' R' U' r' U' R U' R' U2 r
and notes that the second one is longer but more fingertricky.

Any recommendation with a good reason?

D

Daniel Lin

I have a hard time choosing a OH alg for OLL55.

Antoine Cantin proposes either
r U2 R' U' R2 r' U R' U' r U' r'
or
R U2 R' U' R U' R' U' r' U' R U' R' U2 r
and notes that the second one is longer but more fingertricky.

Any recommendation with a good reason?
They both seem the same fast to me
I would pick the second one because it has less wide moves so I'm less likely to drop the cube :D

M

Malkom

I need to improve my push turning since now I only do the flick based solves. To get better at it I've just been doing U R', are there any other easy excercises to practice this?

im not sure how to dedide my main for oh
ive been using a yulong but ive statred using my 3x3 main a meiying
i get the EXACT same times with both cubes and i thind them both enjoyable
do you think i should use the meiying for better pop and corner twist resistance or the yulong so i can set up the meiying so its better for normal solving

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
im not sure how to dedide my main for oh
ive been using a yulong but ive statred using my 3x3 main a meiying
i get the EXACT same times with both cubes and i thind them both enjoyable
do you think i should use the meiying for better pop and corner twist resistance or the yulong so i can set up the meiying so its better for normal solving
i think meiying is a popular OH cube, and if it is more consistent in terms of pop and corner twists, it is probably the better cube for you.