• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer 4x4 Question Thread

caters

So, I have gotten to the point where I am almost done with the 4x4 solve. But, there are 2 edges that need switching. And they aren't the front and back edge switch that I easily find algorithms for, these are diagonal edges. I looked up diagonal edge switch algorithms and immediately got one for 3x3, so, since I am using the reduction method(reducing 4x4 to equivalent 3x3), I thought I would try it and, it messed up the corners. I had one edge in the front and one edge on the left just like in the 3x3 case, but the corners got all messed up when I fixed the edges. And then, when I went back to do the corners again, I still had the diagonal edges. I did the 3x3 diagonal edge switch algorithm 3 times now and have gotten nowhere. This is the 3x3 algorithm I'm talking about:

R U R' U R U2 R' U

That switches front and left edges on a 3x3, so I figured it should work for a 4x4 with the same edges needing swapped. But, I did this algorithm 3 times and it always messes up the corners and then when I correct the corners, I still end up with 2 edges needing to be swapped diagonally. Here is a picture of my cube(which by the way uses the Japanese coloring scheme, so blue is opposite white):

1220191409.jpg
Is there a way to switch diagonal edges on a 4x4 without messing the corners up?

icarneiro

So, I have gotten to the point where I am almost done with the 4x4 solve. But, there are 2 edges that need switching. And they aren't the front and back edge switch that I easily find algorithms for, these are diagonal edges. I looked up diagonal edge switch algorithms and immediately got one for 3x3, so, since I am using the reduction method(reducing 4x4 to equivalent 3x3), I thought I would try it and, it messed up the corners. I had one edge in the front and one edge on the left just like in the 3x3 case, but the corners got all messed up when I fixed the edges. And then, when I went back to do the corners again, I still had the diagonal edges. I did the 3x3 diagonal edge switch algorithm 3 times now and have gotten nowhere. This is the 3x3 algorithm I'm talking about:

R U R' U R U2 R' U

That switches front and left edges on a 3x3, so I figured it should work for a 4x4 with the same edges needing swapped. But, I did this algorithm 3 times and it always messes up the corners and then when I correct the corners, I still end up with 2 edges needing to be swapped diagonally. Here is a picture of my cube(which by the way uses the Japanese coloring scheme, so blue is opposite white):

View attachment 11130
Is there a way to switch diagonal edges on a 4x4 without messing the corners up?

(R U R' U') r2 U2 r2 Uw2 r2 Uw2 (U' R U' R')

(R U R' U') = Sexy move
r2 U2 r2 Uw2 r2 Uw2 = PLL parity
(U' R U' R') = Insert the last pair

ThatGuy

WCA
2010GUSH01

R U R' U R U2 R' U

View attachment 11130
Basically, you setup your case into the 'front to back' case, do the algorithm (r2 U2 r2 Uw2 r2 Uw2 that icarneiro gave), and then undo the setup you did. Note that you can also just apply the front to back algorithm on your case to get a 3-cycle, which you can just solve with a 3x3 U-perm. Less efficient, but more straightforward.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
That is a condition called centers in the wrong position, however it is curable. All you have to do is either swap the Blue and Green centers or the Red and Orange centers after that fix the F2L pairs and your cube it back to healthy.

If you look at a 3x3 and hold it as you have in the picture you will notice the difference.

3x3x3 Cube

Hello everybody!

I am learning how to make 4x4x4 Cube. I have already built it, but then I have scrambled it. Then I tried to build it again. I successfully went through the centers and matching edges. But then I came to the 3x3x3 part. I finished white cross, white face, the second layer, yellow cross and matching yellow edges with the other part of the cube. Then I mixed up the four corners on the top. But right before the finish, I came to the strange part:
rubik.png
I see this configuration first.

I also entered that into the online solver: https://www.grubiks.com/solvers/rubiks-revenge-4x4x4/. It said that I deconstructed the cube or something like this. But I am sure that I haven't done this. 10 min before I normally solved this cube.

Is there any way to solve this without deconstructing? (I bet that it is, just online solver isn't so smart.)

P.S.
I don't want to scramble all over again. :)

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello everybody!

I am learning how to make 4x4x4 Cube. I have already built it, but then I have scrambled it. Then I tried to build it again. I successfully went through the centers and matching edges. But then I came to the 3x3x3 part. I finished white cross, white face, the second layer, yellow cross and matching yellow edges with the other part of the cube. Then I mixed up the four corners on the top. But right before the finish, I came to the strange part:
View attachment 11603

I also entered that into the online solver: https://www.grubiks.com/solvers/rubiks-revenge-4x4x4/. It said that I deconstructed the cube or something like this. But I am sure that I haven't done this. 10 min before I normally solved this cube.

Is there any way to solve this without deconstructing? (I bet that it is, just online solver isn't so smart.)

P.S.
Do PLL Parity

2R2 U2 2R2 Uw2 2R2 U2 2R2

2R is the layer on the middle right

Hello everybody!

View attachment 11603

P.S.
y Fat sexy + Fat sledge, then PLL which will have parity.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Hello everybody!

View attachment 11603

P.S.

This looks like a regular OLL algorithm. You should be able to solve it the same way you normally do, only you will have parity for PLL