• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Official WCA Cuboid Event

Hi guys,

Just some food for thought. Do you think the WCA will expand on the existing official events in the future by adding a new event?

In the past events were official and were taken out but for the future I'd love to see a cuboid event added, possibly 3x3x4?

What do you guy think?

Fact, your right there. 2x2x3 hardware is pretty stable. The cuboid algs flow very very in my opinion. I only mention 3x3x4 because it introduces parity which would make the event very competitive.

Any cuboid event introduced would automatically fuel the need for quality hardware.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I enjoy cuboids and would be happy to see an official event. 2x2x3 is too small though . I'd prefer to see a puzzle with times greater than in 3x3. Maybe 3x3x4, 3x3x5 or even 3x4x5.

I'm with you there Mark. 3x3x4 or 3x3x5 might be winners. Keeping it in that range allows for reasonable times in competition to be achieved and solid WR's in the long run.

They already made a run at Redi cube for a WCA event im right?

Billabob

Honestly if they ever used a cuboid it would probably be a 2x2x3, as it has came the farthest in terms of hardware.

That's not a reason to add an event, especially one as trivial as 2x2x3. Both the average and single WRs will immediately fall under 1 second, and cubers will lose interest quickly (like what's happening with Skewb, Pyraminx and 2x2)

It'll just be another "Learn 40 algorithms and 1-look the solve as quickly as you can" event. 2x3x3 is the same (albeit slightly harder) - you could blockbuild the first layer and predict the second layer in inspection, then solve LL in one step (I don't know how many cases there are but it's the same amount as 4x4 PLL cases)

I haven't tried 3x3x4 and upwards but they look quite challenging, which is what you want in an event. I could see 3x3x4 ending up like Square-1 though, in that the fastest methods will just be <R2, U, D> algorithm spam. 3x3x5 shapeshifts though so that could be fun

I personally don't agree with most of the suggestions for WCA events I see on this forum. They're either too similar to current events (Redi Cube being a larger Pyraminx, Kilominx being a smaller Megaminx) but I couldn't offer any alternatives. Maybe caving into popular demand and making people happy for a few weeks is the right thing to do, but honestly I can't see the WCA adding a new event any time soon.

Last edited:
I understand where you are coming from in the sense that solve times would drop rapidly, but sub 1 second 2x2x3... I'd pay to see that given the fact that 180 degree turns are required to solve the puzzle.

I'm not saying the WCA should add a new event, only that cuboids are a huge staple in the solving community. It could be possible that momentum builds and an event is added. A 3x3x5 event... Personally I think that would be tricky.

Simply because the hardware to date would never stand up to speedsolving and would be difficult in the future to develop. I'm no hero or advocate of 3x3x4 but it just seems the most plausible for a cuboid event. Sure you could argue spaming R2 dominant algs but Skweb.... Sledgehammer...

n-perm

if they were to add cuboid it would add way too many new events, so if they added it, there would only be 1 or events for cuboid

If by "they" you mean MoYu, and by "a run" you mean a half-assed attempt at holding sponsored, unofficial competitions, then sure.

It was only through the grapevine that I heard the Redicube might be an official event... kinda going of topic here a bit but is there any reason why it fell off?

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
It was only through the grapevine that I heard the Redicube might be an official event... kinda going of topic here a bit but is there any reason why it fell off?
Mostly because Moyu is the only company that made it and so it would be giving so much power to Moyu because their Redi Cube would be the only one available and all that. It would be a punch in the face to all the other companies, and so in the interest of being neutral, the WCA will almost certainly never include it.

That makes sense, cheers for clearing that up. all the more reason for a cuboid event ladies and gentlemen... I swear I not getting paid by the hour here.. ha

Hazel

Premium Member
Mostly because Moyu is the only company that made it and so it would be giving so much power to Moyu because their Redi Cube would be the only one available and all that. It would be a punch in the face to all the other companies, and so in the interest of being neutral, the WCA will almost certainly never include it.

This may have been part of it, but I think the biggest reason is that it's just too fast and trivial of an event. The UWR single is already 2.34, and the Ao5 UWR is 4.64. It would become luck-based way too quickly and turn into another 2x2/pyraminx/skewb.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
This may have been part of it, but I think the biggest reason is that it's just too fast and trivial of an event. The UWR single is already 2.34, and the Ao5 UWR is 4.64. It would become luck-based way too quickly and turn into another 2x2/pyraminx/skewb.
I agree w/ you, but I think that would be something the WCA would consider after they consider Moyu’s influence on the event.