• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

North Eastern Border (USA) Earthquake - 5.8 Magnitude!!!

collinbxyz

WCA
2010BURN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This just happened a few hours ago, and everyone felt it in my family but me (I was in the car when it happened, I think, so that may be why). Half my family is home in PA, but the other half is in Ohio for a week (looking at colleges with my older brother) and they also felt it! Tell us your story if you felt it. It wasn't particularly powerful, and there are no deaths, and some injuries (I don't know how severe) but from what I heard, you could definitely feel it! I also saw this if anyone was interested.

EDIT: Oh, and I was in D.C. literally two days ago, which is where there is the most damage!

Last edited:

cubernya

Premium Member
Supposedly lots of people in CNY felt it, but I felt absolutely nothing.

Honestly, it can just be felt further away because of the ground. Nothing was damaged, what's the big deal? Seriously

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I talked to my sister in North Carolina, and she said the shaking was strong enough to knock her off balance while walking. Nothing damaged where she is at, which is good. It seems there was some damage in D.C. and Virginia, closer to the epicenter.

collinbxyz

WCA
2010BURN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
hSgBK.png

Supposedly lots of people in CNY felt it, but I felt absolutely nothing.

Honestly, it can just be felt further away because of the ground. Nothing was damaged, what's the big deal? Seriously

ya, sure...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jungleterrain

ya, sure...

I think that video shows us that structures on the Eastern part of the United States aren't really made in mind for earthquakes, not the ferocity of the quake. Those cars getting smashed was more an act of gravity, methinks :p

However, out here on the West coast I get the feeling people don't think much of < 6.0 earthquakes (or maybe that's just the people I know, since my knowledge is not representative of the whole West coast). Actually, most of the West coast (or the West coast of all the Americas) lies on fault lines. From my knowledge, not all of the energy released from an earthquake can efficiently travel between different tectonic plates, but since you guys are out on the expanse of the North American plate, the waves released should travel much more efficiently, therefore, farther. So I guess it makes sense people from numerous different states felt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
WCA
2010CAVA01
Im in virginia and i was doing math and the desk started shaking and then i was like "OMG THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!! OMGOMGMGMGO!" then my textbook fell off the table and hit my foot and i went running out of the house