• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Noah's BLD Tutorials

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
4BLD video finally up =D

Right now no one convinced me to use floating buffer - neither did you.
You said you highly recommend it, but a profit of using floating buffer is low - you just do 3 targets (1.5 algs) less.
And that is only if all your cycles have even number of targets. If one cycle ends on the odd letter and you do (as you said in your video) two 3-cycles, then you do one more algorithm, so if you didn't switch your buffer at this moment, you would do the same amount of algs.
(FYI, there are pure commutators that do two 2-cycles, but they are very specific, so setup moves would be complicated).

Another problem is memorization: how do you memorize you started a new cycle?
Another adavntage of fixed buffer is that you can speed optimize your algs so you don't think what setup move you must do now. Well, you can use speed-opt algs with floating buffer too, if you adjust top layer after switching the buffer, so the position of your buffer is always Ubr or Ubl. But you must not forget to adjust it back after all centers are solved, of course.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right now no one convinced me to use floating buffer - neither did you.
You said you highly recommend it, but a profit of using floating buffer is low - you just do 3 targets (1.5 algs) less.
And that is only if all your cycles have even number of targets. If one cycle ends on the odd letter and you do (as you said in your video) two 3-cycles, then you do one more algorithm, so if you didn't switch your buffer at this moment, you would do the same amount of algs.
(FYI, there are pure commutators that do two 2-cycles, but they are very specific, so setup moves would be complicated).

Another problem is memorization: how do you memorize you started a new cycle?
Another adavntage of fixed buffer is that you can speed optimize your algs so you don't think what setup move you must do now. Well, you can use speed-opt algs with floating buffer too, if you adjust top layer after switching the buffer, so the position of your buffer is always Ubr or Ubl. But you must not forget to adjust it back after all centers are solved, of course.

I probably shouldn't have said that given that I have no experience of a fixed buffer. I think the two ways are equally valid though. Maybe I'll play around with a fixed buffer at some point, but i'm kind of scared of cycles with two pieces on the same face. I think it's nice though how floating buffer centers fit into my journey technique, and it's not hard to be speed optimal with a floating buffer if you have a little bit of thinkahead since center comms are so easy.

Veerexx

YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there an actual tutorial (that you would recommend as the "best" for a beginner at BLD or that you have released) that covers the full BLD solving 'technique'.
Kind of weird question, but yes, is there just one place I can go to learn 3BLD. Videos are preferential, or even images. I just want it all in one place and it would be great if it had the "Noah Seal of Aprroval" so to speak haha.
I know that you are going to be providing full tutorials, but I am not actually sure if they are released yet. Sorry if they have and I am just missing something. Please just link me if that is the case.
Thank you.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there an actual tutorial (that you would recommend as the "best" for a beginner at BLD or that you have released) that covers the full BLD solving 'technique'.
Kind of weird question, but yes, is there just one place I can go to learn 3BLD. Videos are preferential, or even images. I just want it all in one place and it would be great if it had the "Noah Seal of Aprroval" so to speak haha.
I know that you are going to be providing full tutorials, but I am not actually sure if they are released yet. Sorry if they have and I am just missing something. Please just link me if that is the case.
Thank you.

My BLD tutorial will be out on YouTube in a few weeks.

I learned from Zane's tutorial myself: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?34298-How-to-solve-a-Rubik-s-Cube-BLD-Progression

I think it's a very good tutorial for everything except memo. I recommend you use that tutorial to learn the techniques and then pick up a letter scheme as soon as possible for memo.

Veerexx

YouTube
Visit Channel
My BLD tutorial will be out on YouTube in a few weeks.

I learned from Zane's tutorial myself: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?34298-How-to-solve-a-Rubik-s-Cube-BLD-Progression

I think it's a very good tutorial for everything except memo. I recommend you use that tutorial to learn the techniques and then pick up a letter scheme as soon as possible for memo.

Thank you for this Noah :)
I really want to get into 3BLD and maybe multi-blind after a long time :)
I will definitely check out Zane's while waiting for yours so I can be mroe prepared. Thanks a bunch :)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice video, Noah. So I haven't practiced 3BLD much lately, and I've found that I was hurt very little by taking the break, except for one thing: my "balance" is off. Apparently I have to be in practice to stay in balance - once out of practice, I often take too long or too little time to memorize. Fortunately, the balance does appear to be coming back fairly quickly, though.

A Leman

I don't look back at my Edge images at all until execution because loci anchor them fairly well, but I usually add the association while I am finding the next pairs. That is really doable and helps me make them better.