• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New-to-Roux: A Beginner's Guide

Solvador Cubi

Here is my latest one-page, info-sheet. This one is to help beginners as a start to Roux.
my goals, as usual, are:
a small number of algorithms
a decently low move count

This one is called... "New-to-Roux" (NtR)
it suggests about 16 algorithms and can be done in as few as 60 moves!

http://www.solvexio.cf/app/#/New-to-Roux

There are 3 major steps:

1. Block Building, starting in a sort of Salvia way, but users can have leeway in this intuitive first step.
The two 1x2x3 blocks are set up with purposely out-of-place slot-pairs and can be completed in a decent 28 moves.

2. LL corners, using algs in only 6 basic structures to orient then permute them in about 16 moves.
This can be useful for someone before learning full, 42-alg, CMLL.

3. Last 6 Edges - about 18 moves
For orientation, I broke the 9 patterns down into cases that use just 5 basic "alg" sequences.
Then 2-step permutation using around 10 moves.

The longest algs (for corners) will already be familiar to someone coming from a CFOP background.
These other Roux-specfic concepts are not new, just laid out for folks that are New to Roux!

I'm excited to show how a beginner method with learnable intuition and a low number of algs can still achieve 60-move solves!

let me know your thoughts, as thinking about it from a beginners point of view.

thanks,
-= Solvador Cubi

Untrue

I think this is an excellent idea. Im currently trying to learn roux but havent been able to find a good tutorial. Hopefully you'll change that.

Solvador Cubi

thanks "untrue". I realize it's difficult to understand all the details of something that's explained on just one page.
I would love to have the time to make videos walking through this (and others I've done), but for now all I've got are these pages that I think of as reference sheets to remind someone of the specifics.

-= Solvador Cubi

YouTube
Visit Channel
I used Salvia Method to get a good start on Roux Method. Salvia is a good beginner method to start Roux. This is like a good improvement to it or good transition to get better in Roux.

Atomixcc

I realized that a standard Roux solve finishes with CE (Corners then Edges)
So I wondered how it would be to change it to an OP ending (Orientation then Permutation)

Here's the link to a one-page sheet with those changes: http://www.solvexio.cf/app/#/New-to-Roux
Now named: New-to-Roux Orientation / Permutation (NtR-OP)

This beginner version uses "2-Look" solutions for the last steps, so for this NtR-OP version:
Corners are oriented
L6E are oriented
Corners (and UL/UR edges) are permuted
L4E are permuted

An unexpected side-effect... I seem to get many more L4E skips than I did using Ntr-CE, but I don't know why.

Anyway, i'm just throwing it out there for everyone in case something in there can help someone.

-= Solvador Cubi
THAT SITE IS UNSTABLE!!!! i when't on the link (in quote above) and some very disturbing (sexually) pictures appeared on my screen! don't go on that LINK!!!!!!

Solvador Cubi

That site is back again. My solvexio.cf domain expired and the host did that!

sorry about that.