• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New Events for the Weekly Competition for 2021

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
On this thread, I will take suggestions for events to be added to the Weekly Competition. I believe in the past we have been too quick and lenient to adding events, so I will raise the bar this year. The weekly average of participants this year has been around 150. Any event that gets at least 22 recommendations (15% of the weekly average of participants) over the next two weeks (ending 2019/12/08) will get its own poll thread. Note that to count as a recommendation, you must actually post on this thread with a statement that you would like to see the event added. Likes will not count as recommendations - you must actually post the recommendation yourself in order for it to count as one of the 22 needed recommendations.

The poll threads will then be open for about 2 weeks, until December 24. The poll will be worded such that an upvote implies that the voter BOTH wants the event added AND intends to compete in it if possible, while a downvote implies that the voter specifically does not want the event added. At that point, any event that receives at least 30 upvotes (hence over 20% of the weekly average of participants) AND ALSO has more upvotes than downvotes will be eligible to be added to the competition. However, I will add no more than 2 events this year, so if more than 2 events reach this threshold, only the top 2 will be added. I will close the poll threads after the deadline is reached.

Last year, I feel we were too generous adding 4 events. Under no circumstances will I add more than 2 events this year. Also, last year, the only event that would have made it under these stricter requirements would have been 15 puzzle, interestingly. We will see what happens this year.

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
I nominate the following

2x2x4 (cant use bandaged 4x4)
2x2x3
Pyramorphix
Master Kilominx
Quadrangular Pyramid

Last edited:

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I nominate FTO as well

Not to be mean, but I'm a little suspicious of this. This person joined 3 minutes ago, so clearly specifically for this message. They couldn't have been a person who competed in the weekly comp but never bothered to join the forums, because you need a forums account to join the weekly comp now.

I also don't really know how much one potentially fake nominations, just though I'd point it out

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also here to nominate FTO for this year.

Not to be mean, but I'm a little suspicious of this. This person joined 3 minutes ago, so clearly specifically for this message. They couldn't have been a person who competed in the weekly comp but never bothered to join the forums, because you need a forums account to join the weekly comp now.

I also don't really know how much one potentially fake nominations, just though I'd point it out

There's a decent sized discord server for FTO that just posted about this thread to rally support. We have a weekly competition but it's at a specific time and there aren't any other online competitions for the puzzle, so FTO fans are looking for more places to compete. Would be nice to know who the new account is for sure (We have a discord account on the FTO server with that name though), but I imagine many from that discord server will be joining the forums for the first time looking forward to completing in the weekly comps if it is added. I did just clarify on the server that people should only come to nominate here if they actually do intend to participate somewhat regularly.

VIBE_ZT

WCA
2018TRUD02
isn't 2x2x3 even simpler than 2x2?
Not exacly the thread for this, but I figured I'd answer. 2x2x3, when positioned a certain way, can be solved basically like a simple Square-1 with extra equator pieces. It is honestly an intuitive solution. So... Yes. It is easier than a 2x2.

Now for the events I would recommend. I'm adding these out of... well... sheer curiosity.

3x3x5

2x2x4

Last edited: