• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Need Volunteers for Research on Speed Cubers [Survey]

theace

WCA
2010RAOA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, I'm doing some research on Speed Cubing and on Speed Cubers' cognitive abilities for my internship project and I need some volunteers who are willing to participate in and help out with my studies!

The current study I am conducting is a preliminary survey about 3x3 Speed Solving, 3 BLD and Multi BLD. If you want to help out, please visit the link below and enter your details. The place I designed the survey at needs me to enter email addresses of the people who want to take the survey. The form below will ask only for your name and email. I will send out an invitation to the email you provide later on.

Survey Invitation Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1w9MuNiwjzgqZ4I5krfr68yLuZGPgOY_7iW6V2rPUaV8/viewform

The more participants there are, the better the data and the more robust the results! Once I have analyzed and processed all the data and have results, I'll share them here. I won't reveal any sort of personal / private data (such as email addresses and all), so y'all don't need to worry about that :)

This study is basically aimed at trying to find parallels between the memo methods in BLD Chess and Cubing as well as trying to explore correlations between speedsolving, BLD and Multi BLD. I'm also trying to understand how memo method preferences change and how they affect efficiency in BLD and Multi BLD. There's going to be a follow up personality test as well so I can explore possible correlations on that front too.

Admins - I posted this here as I was extremely unsure about where a thread of this nature needs to go. It isn't exactly off topic and I do need help with something cubing related. If this is not the right location for the thread, I apologize for the inconvenience beforehand and request you to please move this thread.

Last edited:

theace

WCA
2010RAOA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Done! When is the study/research going to occur?
I need about 40-50 responses before I can begin analysis. I have until 24th to start preliminary work. If this goes well, I'll present the findings at a cognition conference in March. In the meanwhile, though, I will be abl to complete thorough analysis and start on another idea!

Do we have to be good at BLD? Cause I'm terrible (3 mins 3BLD and 2/3s and 3/5s usually on Multi BLD)
No, you don't have to be exceptional at BLD. A part of my study aims at comparing people with different averages.

I'm guessing you can't reveal the nature of this survey? If we don't do multiBLD should we not participate in the study?
I just updated the main post with details about the study. I can't reveal the questions in the survey yet, though.

theace

WCA
2010RAOA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Specifically who is this research for and has the study been reviewed by an ethics board?

Though I cannot reveal the identity of the institute to avoid any possible biases in the participants' response, I assure you that I am working at a national level institute and all the formalities have been taken care of. This is a small scale internship project and the information involved so-far is not sensitive enough to involve ethical issues. An ethical committee was formed and has approved of my project nonetheless.

As to who the research is for, I am working in a cognitive science lab and I'm interested in the cognitive aspects of cubing (the details of course can be revealed post-analysis). That apart, the results may also help a lot of newbie cubers choose memo systems (I'm going to be running some statistical analysis on them) and I'm certain that the findings are going to be pretty cool. Besides, this is pretty much one of the first ever formal studies on speed cubers :D

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
The survey had multiple typos and spelling errors. Bad result boxes (didn't accept decimal)
Bad choice options with no "other"

Before you release surveys, give it to some friends.
Questions like "how many practise sessions in a typical week" "average practise time" "how many weeks to learn blind" "when you learnt multi blind" "100% success rate for how big of a multi"
Were either badly worded, didn't have "no idea" options and didn't allow for decimals. I have generally 10 minutes or less of practise each day. I put in 0.1 for hours and it rejected.

The survey seemed rushed and felt as if it wasn't planned/had no goal.

theace

WCA
2010RAOA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The survey had multiple typos and spelling errors. Bad result boxes (didn't accept decimal)
Bad choice options with no "other"

Before you release surveys, give it to some friends.
Questions like "how many practise sessions in a typical week" "average practise time" "how many weeks to learn blind" "when you learnt multi blind" "100% success rate for how big of a multi"
Were either badly worded, didn't have "no idea" options and didn't allow for decimals. I have generally 10 minutes or less of practise each day. I put in 0.1 for hours and it rejected.

The survey seemed rushed and felt as if it wasn't planned/had no goal.

Well, the survey was kinda rushed. I built it in a hurry and didn't have enough time to proof everything in there. I did show it to some friends but they didn't spot any errors -.-
As they aren't really experienced cubers, they failed to see the technical issues the questionnaire had.

It would be really nice if you could help me out with cleaning the survey up and helping out with the language wherever you think things aren't worded well. The survey engine I am using is a free one and has a load of limitations. A lot of things in the survey aren't exactly as I wanted them to be. Unfortunately, I don't have any funding for this research as yet and cannot go in for a more sophisticated survey engine.

I fixed the decimal issue, by the way. I had asked it to accept numbers. Apparently, it took that as "whole numbers" :/

I admit, there are some things that I have overlooked. I failed to consider that 3OP users will have 2 primary memo systems for edges and corners. I should have provided check boxes instead of radio buttons there. Unfortunately, the system won't let me change it now.

brian724080

Well, the survey was kinda rushed. I built it in a hurry and didn't have enough time to proof everything in there. I did show it to some friends but they didn't spot any errors -.-
As they aren't really experienced cubers, they failed to see the technical issues the questionnaire had.

It would be really nice if you could help me out with cleaning the survey up and helping out with the language wherever you think things aren't worded well. The survey engine I am using is a free one and has a load of limitations. A lot of things in the survey aren't exactly as I wanted them to be. Unfortunately, I don't have any funding for this research as yet and cannot go in for a more sophisticated survey engine.

I fixed the decimal issue, by the way. I had asked it to accept numbers. Apparently, it took that as "whole numbers" :/

I admit, there are some things that I have overlooked. I failed to consider that 3OP users will have 2 primary memo systems for edges and corners. I should have provided check boxes instead of radio buttons there. Unfortunately, the system won't let me change it now.

Coming to think about it, I can't be of much help because I'm still learning BLD...*facepalm*

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I took the survey, and I am also interested in the results! You are already aware of an issue I commented on (using multiple of your choices at the same time for memo). My only other concern is that I found the survey unclear as to whether I should answer for my skill level as it stands right now or as it was when I was at my peak skill level. My skill level has declined since I was at my peak, as has my practice time. I answered for my skill level and practice time as they stand right now. Will this negatively affect the rating of my memo and solving systems? Should I answer the survey for my skill level and practice time from when I was at my peak?

theace

WCA
2010RAOA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I took the survey, and I am also interested in the results! You are already aware of an issue I commented on (using multiple of your choices at the same time for memo). My only other concern is that I found the survey unclear as to whether I should answer for my skill level as it stands right now or as it was when I was at my peak skill level. My skill level has declined since I was at my peak, as has my practice time. I answered for my skill level and practice time as they stand right now. Will this negatively affect the rating of my memo and solving systems? Should I answer the survey for my skill level and practice time from when I was at my peak?

That was another issue that I didn't consider before designing the survey. However, this particular problem is going to arise only for a few people as a majority of the cubers who have taken the survey are people who are really into it and are still at their peak.

Besides, you're kinda like an outlier as it is :D . You don't need to take the survey again!

There are several other concepts and ideas that I have about cubing and I want to explore them further. The next time I design a study, I will make sure I take you guys' opinion too :) Thanks for all the help!

Christian_P

Though I cannot reveal the identity of the institute to avoid any possible biases in the participants' response, I assure you that I am working at a national level institute and all the formalities have been taken care of. This is a small scale internship project and the information involved so-far is not sensitive enough to involve ethical issues. An ethical committee was formed and has approved of my project nonetheless.

As to who the research is for, I am working in a cognitive science lab and I'm interested in the cognitive aspects of cubing (the details of course can be revealed post-analysis). That apart, the results may also help a lot of newbie cubers choose memo systems (I'm going to be running some statistical analysis on them) and I'm certain that the findings are going to be pretty cool. Besides, this is pretty much one of the first ever formal studies on speed cubers :D
Hello there.

I was wonderingnif this research was ever published? Really keen to read and reference this piece of work if I can.

Best wishes,
Christian