• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Need an easy to understand speedcubing method.

b0n3s

I have been able to solve a Rubik's Cube for a couple of years with an F2L method. However my fastest is 68 secs. Still not fast.

I have searched quite a bit for a decent speed cubing method, and I have found a lot. The problem is, lots of them use a lot of notation I don't understand. I understand the turn notation such as F, F', R, R', R2 . . . that sort of stuff, but I dont know mush else.

So what I need is a easy to understand speedcubing method that can cut my time in half. I am trying to find one that explains a lot, moves slowly step by step, and has somebody I can contact if I get stuck on some steps. I am willing to take time to memorize lots of algorithms, I just need to understand where to use them in the first place.

Thanks. B)

Now here is a 4x4 question. I haven't done too much research on this, so maybe it could have been right under my nose the whole time...

I can solve the first 3 layers of a 4x4 cube. But I am totaly stumped on trying to solve the top and last layer. I can get the corners but not the middle edges (on top). If you have any links or something that gives algs for sloving the top layer of a 4x4, that would help a lot.

Thanks again!

~Rubixlover

annon

On the 4x4, before you start solving the layers, you need to make sure every edge is paired. http://www.bigcubes.com/ can help with that.

As for strange notation, from what I know:

x is a rotation of the entire cube in the same direction as an R turn.
y is a rotation of the entire cube in the same direction as a U turn.
z is a rotation of the entire cube in the same direction as an F turn.

r = L x
l = R x'
u = D y
d = U y'
f = B z
b = F z'

Keep in mind the listed lowercase notation is only like that for 3x3 notation.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Check cubestation.co.uk and click on 3x3 >> CFOP, read through that to get a good understanding of pairing up corners and edges. With not much practice you can get down to 45-50 second average.

Pat

Johannes91

Originally posted by annon@Feb 4 2007, 10:48 PM
On the 4x4, before you start solving the layers, you need to make sure every edge is paired.
No you don't. That's just one of the many possible methods.

annon

Originally posted by Johannes91+Feb 6 2007, 02:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Johannes91 @ Feb 6 2007, 02:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-annon@Feb 4 2007, 10:48 PM
On the 4x4, before you start solving the layers, you need to make sure every edge is paired.
No you don't. That's just one of the many possible methods. [/b][/quote]
And the specific method he seems to use.

Johannes91

Originally posted by annon+Feb 7 2007, 03:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (annon @ Feb 7 2007, 03:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Johannes91@Feb 6 2007, 02:11 PM
That's just one of the many possible methods.
And the specific method he seems to use. [/b][/quote]
He's talking about first 3 layers, sounds like direct solving to me.

b0n3s

Ok thanks for the info guys! And on the 4x4 i just do the first layer, then second, then third, but cant get the fourth. If you get what I mean :D

b0n3s

Well from 3x3 knowledge I know how to solve the first layer easily enough. And now that I think about it, it may not be exactly layer by layer but none the less I get the same thing. I do first layer, then the middles on each side, then the edges on the sides, leaving the top. Sorry if i explained wrong earlier. I learned from a friend, and I dont know where he learned.