• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My Tips for Becoming Color Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
Things like this really annoy me, this thread needs to be closed or removed for spreading misinformation.

Many fast people have tried to switch for months and months and no one has ever succeeded. This thread has already convinced people that it is worth their time. All that's going to happen is they will try and realise that's they're still heavily colour biased and evetually give up trying to switch. Switching takes a very very very long time if you're already fast.

I made my colour neutral thread to stop this kind of misinformation spreading. This is obviously a response to that thread, and I attempted to stress how difficult switching was. Without evidence, the contrary to what has been observed to happen has been stated as if it was a true fact, wasting people's time.

I don't think anybody is truly colour neutral. Whether they realise it or not they probably are slightly biased to certain colours, or will notice crosses (or the equivelant) more quickly on certain combinations. I think we should drop the term and go for something that expresses general indifference alongside a vague preference for those who are closest to true colout neutrality. And I am aware I have responded to a fair few of your posts on the matter Kirjava, just saying that I'm not trying to be contrary.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Things like this really annoy me, this thread needs to be closed or removed for spreading misinformation.

Many fast people have tried to switch for months and months and no one has ever succeeded. This thread has already convinced people that it is worth their time. All that's going to happen is they will try and realise that's they're still heavily colour biased and evetually give up trying to switch. Switching takes a very very very long time if you're already fast.

I made my colour neutral thread to stop this kind of misinformation spreading. This is obviously a response to that thread, and I attempted to stress how difficult switching was. Without evidence, the contrary to what has been observed to happen has been stated as if it was a true fact, wasting people's time.

Maybe they haven't done it because they haven't had the right way to do it man. Just chill out and see if others like my method for switching. How can you say my method doesn't work when you haven't tried it? It worked for me and I think it can for others. What "misinformation" am I spreading? I am saying that if you stick to it IIIIIIIII believe you can switch in a month. Let's see if I am right instead of getting annoyed for no reason because YOU, who has not tried my method yet, thinks it wont work. Just because you gave up dude doesn't mean it is impossible. I am almost certain your reasons for it not working are because you didn't switch systematically. Think about it, with cigarettes, if you just try to go cold turkey your chances of suceeding are far less then if you ween yourself off of them. This is the same thing, you are weening yourself off of white and onto other colors.

PS. Can everyone stop hatting? I am simply trying to help out the forum with a new, structured way to switch, something which the forum did not have before. If you don't think it will work then either try it 100 percent sticking to my method and prove me wrong or don't try it. Your repetitive nay saying without any real proof (this is a new method so trying to say that others have tried and failed does not count as proof, the only really proof you can provide is to actually try it and fail.) is just to qoute Kirjava "misinformation".

Last edited:

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think anybody is truly colour neutral. Whether they realise it or not they probably are slightly biased to certain colours, or will notice crosses (or the equivelant) more quickly on certain combinations. I think we should drop the term and go for something that expresses general indifference alongside a vague preference for those who are closest to true colout neutrality. And I am aware I have responded to a fair few of your posts on the matter Kirjava, just saying that I'm not trying to be contrary.

I disagree. Colour Neutrality means no active preference to a colour when solving the cube. If you can solve consistently using any colour then I think you're allowed to call yourself colour neutral. Obviously it's a spectrum thing; for all I know I could solve faster on red or slower on blue, but cluttering the cubing rhetoric with meaningless definitions is pointless and confusing. Either your CN, White/Yellow (or any other combination) neutral or one colour.

When we come down to it, it's not important whether someone claims to be CN or not. It's a curio at best because it offers no obvious speed advantage (until someone does a study that shows either way).

Last edited:

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
I disagree. Colour Neutrality means no active preference to a colour when solving the cube. If you can solve consistently using any colour then I think you're allowed to call yourself colour neutral. Obviously it's a spectrum thing; for all I know I could solve faster on red or slower on blue, but cluttering the cubing rhetoric with meaningless definitions is pointless and confusing. Either your CN, White/Yellow (Or any other combination) neutral or one colour.

Agreed, nice point.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is not a new way to switch, really.

Most people just say try switching, they never really give you a method or a particular time you should spend on each color, I did. Also, they don't teach that it is color filters and patterns, not just an entire new color. The way I am trying to explain it, there are only really three colors to learn seeing as the f2l pieces are the same. Let me ask you this Joey, who I hear is quite the good cuber and with whom I am honored to be speaking, how many times have you tried to switch to color neutral?

Cool Frog

When I averaged 30 seconds with CFOP and I tried switching to color neutrality (Beginning)
It took me A week to switch where my times where consistent with my old times,

I did it where i just solved whatever cross was best.

Therefore, with 2 pieces of data (yours VS mine), my "method" is faster.

pdilla

After hearing the word "filter" something just clicked in my mind and I can, all of a sudden, solve color neutrally without strain.

Holy crap. o_O You HAVE to be kidding me...

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Day 1: Solving all day with yellow D. Avg12: 20.38 (σ = 1.34). This is Yellow D, L/R neutral. Might I say, I could only(Literally) solve White D, Red F.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
After hearing the word "filter" something just clicked in my mind and I can, all of a sudden, solve color neutrally without strain.

Holy crap. o_O You HAVE to be kidding me...

Thats great for you dude!!!

Day 1: Solving all day with yellow D. Avg12: 20.38 (σ = 1.34). This is Yellow D, L/R neutral. Might I say, I could only(Literally) solve White D, Red F.

Nice work dude, and that is only after one day of practice!!

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
I disagree. Colour Neutrality means no active preference to a colour when solving the cube. If you can solve consistently using any colour then I think you're allowed to call yourself colour neutral.

Fair point actually. I think alot of people make the assumption I made when they hear/read the term though. I guess thats their own problem for misunderstanding. I live and learn I guess! I'm personally going to give this a go though. I am around 30 seconds but its more down to using bad insertions and bad last layer that it isn't quicker, rather than recog. I would consider my recog fairly drilled in by now. I'll see how it goes but I seriously doubt a month is realistic even no-life-ing it.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Its really helped my lookahead. Its making me go slow and look ahead. If i dont , i will have a 4 second pause to look for pieces.

Yea, I just noticed xDDD

That's a nice bonus ;) So a few of you guys have messaged me asking for a schedule so I made one:

Days 1- 4 Practice Yellow only
Days 5- 9 Practice Blue only
Day 10- Practice Blue and Yellow, always doing the best cross
Days 11-15- Practice Green Only
Day 16- Practice with Blue Green and Yellow Only
Days 17- 21- Practice Red Only
Days 22- 26- Practice Orange Only
Days 27- 30- Practice all Colors Except White
Day 31- Til you quit cubing- Practice all colors, always choosing the best cross.

This assumes you will be starting with white, if not just switch yellow with the color opposite of your normal starting color. You will also see that on days 10, and 16 i have you doing all the colors you have learned, after some thought I realized that it might be a good idea to have some review every now and then.

Last edited:

Jaycee

YouTube
Visit Channel
Even if your "method" "worked", would a schedule really help? It's not like you can say "follow this schedule. You'll be color neutral!" If I believed this was really something special, I'd want it to be on my own terms so I can progress at my own pace.
Also, please try this method
I think going cold turkey isn't a very structured way to do it
those who are trying my method will be the proof one way or another.
I personally tried my approach and it worked,
Just chill out and see if others like my method for switching. How can you say my method doesn't work when you haven't tried it? ... because YOU, who has not tried my method yet, thinks it wont work. ... because you didn't switch systematically. ... I am simply trying to help out the forum with a new, structured way to switch, something which the forum did not have before. ... sticking to my method and ... (this is a new method so ...)
Most people just say try switching, they never really give you a method ..., I did.

What's your method? Hard work, dedication, motivation, persistence, practice, etc etc? Olook I can do this too!

Go set the WR for every event. All it takes is practice!!!

Exaggerated but it's the second thing I thought of and it's still the same concept.

I think these people do a pretty good job of explaining my point.

Way too much effort. Man up and go cold turkey.
If CN was just like learning a new alg, many more people would be CN.
Good video but I don't think a month or two of work is worth the extra 1 move I'll save...
This video doesn't really explain anything. ...You're saying "look at other colours like you look at white".. RIGHT! That's the whole point in CN. ... Also this whole 1 month thing, that's just a made up figure until someone actually does it.
This is not a new way to switch, really.

EDIT on next day : Still haven't answered my question -.-

Last edited:

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Even if your "method" "worked", would a schedule really help? It's not like you can say "follow this schedule. You'll be color neutral!" If I believed this was really something special, I'd want it to be on my own terms so I can progress at my own pace.

What's your method? Hard work, dedication, motivation, persistence, practice, etc etc? Olook I can do this too!

Go set the WR for every event. All it takes is practice!!!

Exaggerated but it's the second thing I thought of and it's still the same concept.

I think these people do a pretty good job of explaining my point.

To all of those who wish to comment on the validity of this idea please watch this first:

Last edited by a moderator:

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Every time I try to switch to color neutral I get slower with white cross.

Really now, I have never seen that before. I would think it would be the opposite. In its simplest form trying to be color neutral is a way to practice going slower and mastering what you know in all environments/colors. This is a chance to work on turnign slower and looking ahead more and getting more comfortable with what you know. Maybe it didn't work because you are focusing on it way too much, like I said in the video, switching doesn't mean you have to stop learning other things, it just means you should try to apply them while doing others colors. If you can do a new f2l pair on all color then I think you have it. Just relax and practice a colors for about five days each with a few practice days of all colors. How did you used to try being color neutral?

Status
Not open for further replies.