• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 117 68.8%
  • Above average

Votes: 36 21.2%
  • Average

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Below average

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 7 4.1%

• Total voters

elyas10

This thread is for reviews of the MoYu WeiLong 3x3x3. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calvin posted a video on his youtube... Check it out! Any thoughts?

Also there are pictures of it on the HK Now Store!

Body
Side 1
Side 2

Attachments

• 8Fc17Wu.png
    8Fc17Wu.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 53
  • sbPM7u4.png
    sbPM7u4.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:

XtremeCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
[Video] WeiLong Prototype with 3 Other Top Cube Comparisons Youtube

There's a new speed cube on the market called the MoYu Weilong that's buzzing around youtube.

It's got all the mods people having been looking for and a mix-up of the fanshi shuang ren and zhanchi antipopping construction.

The vid is extremely long, broken into 2 parts and spoken waaay too slow.

Check it out and please try to understand the guy was extremely exhausted before filming the vid.

If you find it useful, a simple thumbs up will help support this new channel

Part 1/2

Part 2/2

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When? Got a prototype from Calvin
Where? HKNowstore
Thoughts: Amazing. Only bad things are that it's white, and that it's a bit uncontrollably fast. The speed can be controlled by overlubing it, which makes it really really good. Main cube material. People who like the ZC will like this cube

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: hknowstore.com
When the puzzle was purchased: Pre-ordered the 5th of june.
Thoughts on the puzzle:

It's an excellent cube. Cuts through anything any time. Does not really lock up unless you really get the cube misaligned. Only locks up where other cubes would pop. As said by Username it's very fast which can be a problem to some. I've had this on a Zhanchi and a ShuangRen too, so I dont know if the cube can be blamed for it. I can see huge potential for very fast solvers and it can definitely be used as a main. It feels like a Zhanchi that never locks up.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got a prototype and a production line. Both are extremely good. Super fast, and no lockups. Good sticker quality, good price. Perfect cube. But untill someone has used it in a WCA competition, I will not make it my main. First the whole 'illegal thing' must be cleared.

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry, I've missed something here. Why would it be illegal?

The corner pieces are formed by 2 corner piece "caps", so the corner piece caps are not identical. This gives room for imperfections; When you put the caps together to form a cornerpiece, there remains a little "edge" or bump on the junction line between those two caps. The bump can be felt when solving and some argue that for example if you put all white and all yellow on the sides where the bumps are it would help you with lookahead or BLD solving since you'd know where 2 opposing colours are located.

At the very beginning of this video I'm showing the pieces and the "bump" is marked with a yellow line.

[youtubehd]mYvm7DxRKU4[/youtubehd]

On another note, I find myself solving LL on this and just being amazed how I can just perform OLL/PLL so fast without even a chance for lock ups.

EDIT:

Changing the poll options to make results public. I'd rather see who votes and what hoping for insight. I'm having a hard time believing someone would actually rate this particular puzzle "poor".

Last edited:

Danimal

Where the puzzle was purchased: HKnow store
When the puzzle was purchased: June 6th pre-order
Thoughts on the puzzle: I love this puzzle. Very stable and fast cube while not requiring too much tension. It's a fix to the issues I had with the Huanying. 1/2 as loud, feels far more solid and is very smooth. It's everything good about the Huanying mixed with the feel of the Zhanchi. Although I still can't stand the color scheme, but that's why there's replacement stickers.

BaMiao

WCA
2013BAHR01
Where: thecubicle.us
When: July 1

Thoughts: After a couple days, I'm calling this my main, and I'm very confident it will remain so. The turning is very fast and smooth, and doesn't suffer from the minor 'catching' that I always get with my Dayan cubes. Algs just seem to fly. The feel is very nice, and turning makes a pleasant, soft, low-pitch noise.

And as far as the corner non-uniformities, I can't imagine it being any trouble. The ridges that you see are less noticeable than what you see on a SS 4x4.

I was surprised by the quality of this DIY kit. There was literally ZERO flash on any of the pieces. The pieces fit together quite well. However, once assembled some of the corners don't look quite square to the puzzle but it's not a big deal.

If 16mm stickers are used on this puzzle, then the slight ridges on the corner junctions are covered by the stickers FWIW.

It may be my favorite 3x3 right now.

stensgaard

Just got mine from hknowstore today... And I'm loving it :)
It's a bit more noisy than a ZhanChi, but way better corner cutting!

Have yet to try it without the 'torpedoes'!

Zyrb

WCA
2010BRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got mine about an hour ago. I got it from Wallbuys.com, and I ordered it on the 30th of June so I'm pretty impressed with the shipping time.
This Cube is absolutely fantastic, I lubix'd it and I really love the airy loose feel. After using it and then going to my ZC it makes the ZC feel really tight and gummy. This Cube is my new main. As far as the corner controversy I really tried my hardest to feel the line that is so terrible, I really don't think it is that bad. Also I haven't had any problems with center caps falling out.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well I just received a new Zhanchi and a new Weilong (as well as a ShuangRen). So far I've lubed the Weilong but not the Zhanchi and right now they're about the same loudness. Probably after I lube my Zhanchi it will be a little quieter so I tend to think Weilong is a little louder than a Zhanchi. Who knows what will happen after breaking in? I'll have to come back later and review this puzzle. For now I'm still playing with my ShuangRen.

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: HKNow
When the puzzle was purchased: whenever the protoypes were shipped out?
Thoughts on the puzzle: Best 3x3 I ever had.

I don't really like the feel or the noise (because I prefer smoother and quieter cubes such as the guhong v2) but I get really good times on this cube and can't stop using it. It feels a lot like a smoother faster alpha 5 and there are no lock ups or corner twists at my tensions (maximum corner cutting, almost tightest tensions possible). It can be hard to control so I purposely over lubed it and the puzzle is still super fast and a lot better than it was when it had the normal amount of lube in it. It feels completely different from the Huanying. It feels a little unstable compared to other cubes but there have been no pops (other than the first super loose tension I set it at) or lock ups so far after about 500+ solves. I don't know if this applies to production line WeiLongs but my blue and green center caps kept falling off so I just stuck a piece of paper under all the center caps and none of the center caps have fallen off since.

I personally improved by 2 seconds right after getting this cube (went from lots of 14-15+ sec solves on the guhong v2 to consistently 12-14 sec solves on the weilong) but needed to get used to the speed and keep myself from going too fast during F2L. LL is super fast because there are no lock ups and that's when I usually got my lock ups with other cubes. It is definitely my main and I am considering getting a black WeiLong when I get the chance.

I got a prototype and a production line. Both are extremely good. Super fast, and no lockups. Good sticker quality, good price. Perfect cube. But untill someone has used it in a WCA competition, I will not make it my main. First the whole 'illegal thing' must be cleared.

Is there any difference between the prototype and the production line one? I'm going to use my prototype on Saturday at Tree Town 2013 and I'll update whether or not it's competition legal. Since there are other cubes (such as the SS 4x4s and type f3?) that have similar problems with the corners, I'm pretty sure it is legal.

Last edited:

dbuck84

WCA
2012SILV10
YouTube
Visit Channel
[Video] MoYu WeiLong - Unboxing & Review (Portuguese-BR)

Hey guys!

This is my first ever filmed unboxing, I'm learning how to do it! ;)
It's in my mother language: brazilian portuguese...

If you can watch, rate and comment in order for me to start getting better at this, I wouldn't thank you enough! :D

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm going to use my prototype on Saturday at Tree Town 2013 and I'll update whether or not it's competition legal. Since there are other cubes (such as the SS 4x4s and type f3?) that have similar problems with the corners, I'm pretty sure it is legal.

It's legal.

Epic failed look ahead and cross and stuff for no reason other than probably nerves/adrenaline at the competition though.