• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Method Development Competition - August 2020

Athefre

Voting Now Open!

Methods (click on each to learn more):

2 Square
EBBP
Yellow Bird
23RF
Square-101
L2L5

Take time to carefully review each method and determine what you think is the best for each category in the poll. Even though not every team has the same number of members, I encourage the team members to also vote because some may vote anyway. You may vote for your own method or study the methods and vote for the one you truly think is deserving. Another note for the teams: Don't have your family and friends vote. Let the voting naturally happen from the views of the community. I will release the results once a good number of votes have been cast.

Last edited:

Athefre

The results are in! The overall winner is...

Team "the" with EBBP!
Congratulations to @RadicalMacaroni, @MichaelZRC, @AlphaCuber is awesome, @Sosimomonon, and @Username: Username: for their work on the winning method.

Below are the statistics:

EBBP won Best Overall Method
Forms response chart. Question title: Best Overall Method. Number of responses: 30 responses.

Square-101 won Best for FMC
Forms response chart. Question title: Best for FMC. Number of responses: 30 responses.

Square-101 won Most Original Method

Forms response chart. Question title: Most Original Method. Number of responses: 30 responses.

Thanks to everyone for participating and making this such a fun competition. There were some interesting steps introduced in these methods. I've had this competition idea for 10 years and am glad to have finally gotten to make it happen. My goal with this was to get people thinking more about method development. Thanks to @MichaelZRC for allowing the use of his Discord server and for holding a small non-team method competition some time ago. That is what reminded me of this idea that I had. If anyone has suggestions for how to improve for the next one, please let me know. As the competition progressed and I learned what works and what doesn't, I added a lot of stuff to my personal template for this competition.

Hazel

Premium Member
Awesome! Congratulations to the winners :)
One idea for future method competitions is to include restrictions to make each individual comp unique—maybe something like the most advanced version of the method must have less than 100 algorithms, or the number of steps must be less than 5.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I personally think having a few judges to decide which method is best would be better than having anyone vote on it. theoretically, someone could just use several alt accounts to vote for themselves. And people who are on a team most likely aren't going to be voting fairly, they will probably just vote for their own method without studying the other methods to see their potential. This means teams with the most members have an unfair advantage over teams with less members.

Still, this was a fun tournament and I am looking forward to competing in another. Thank you for hosting @Athefre!

Athefre

Awesome! Congratulations to the winners :)
One idea for future method competitions is to include restrictions to make each individual comp unique—maybe something like the most advanced version of the method must have less than 100 algorithms, or the number of steps must be less than 5.

That's an interesting idea. I'll think about that. Thank you!

I personally think having a few judges to decide which method is best would be better than having anyone vote on it. theoretically, someone could just use several alt accounts to vote for themselves. And people who are on a team most likely aren't going to be voting fairly, they will probably just vote for their own method without studying the other methods to see their potential. This means teams with the most members have an unfair advantage over teams with less members.

Still, this was a fun tournament and I am looking forward to competing in another. Thank you for hosting @Athefre!

I'm not sure if I like the idea of having a team of judges. That is only a few people compared to the whole community. Having judges would get rid of the potential for cheating, but it would also keep the community from having a say. What we really need is more of the community to vote. There were only 30 votes this time. We just discussed this on the Discord server and I also brought up a combined idea. Basically a weighted system where the community counts for really high percentage. Then I pick experienced people as judges and their vote is the remaining percentage.

Thank you for participating @Owen Morrison! I could tell your team put a good amount of thought into the method.