• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MEMO time for 3x3x3?

MEMO time for 3x3x3?

• Total voters
There have been many suggestions for BLD memorization methods/techniques over the last year or so, and I am wondering what affect this has had on memo times for 3x3x3.

Using your fastest memo methods on freshly scrambled 3x3x3's (please post method descriptions) what are your best average times for just the memo?

Simboubou

WCA
2007BOUR01
I average 25-35 seconds on memo : 15-20 to memorize edges with a "story" method, 10-15 to memorize corners : permutations in "shape", and orientation in "Flash"

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess I should vote 30-60. I've had times when I've managed to memo sub-30 on a whole set of solves, but that's rare. My overall average is probably 40 to 45 seconds.

I memorize edges first, then flipped-in-place edges, then corners, then twisted-in-place corners. I use images in a story to memorize edges, a single image (or 2, if necessary) for flipped edges, words (my image names, but without visualizing the image) verbally for corners, and pure visual for twisted corners.

Feryll

I remember some member saying he hated people who confused the 'affect' and 'effect' words, but whatever.
I average around 2 mins, maybe more, using M2 and pochmann corners, but if this is supposed to determine the best method, it's flawed. But otherwise, interesting poll.

chahupping

i can memo >1min for edges, and maybe 30secs for corners.. the whole solve would take around 2:40 to 3:30 depends on execution..

Last edited:

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It depends much more on the person and the amount of practice they've put in than on the particular method. That's all that needs to be said.

But good times do indicate the potential of a memory method.

Over 2 mins using Old Pochmann. I don't practise though.

I've never heard of the Old Pochmann memory method.

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Just as you solve, you memo sticker by sticker in a cycle. I think the easiest way to categorise this is the same way as the method used to solve it, "Old Pochmann". You might feel the need to contest that but I don't really see any need.

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Just as you solve, you memo sticker by sticker in a cycle. I think the easiest way to categorise this is the same way as the method used to solve it, "Old Pochmann". You might feel the need to contest that but I don't really see any need.

Okay. You meant that you memorize in order of the cycles. But almost everyone does that. I think by memory method he means *how* you remember the pieces and what order they are in.

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
EO, EP (Old Pochmann), corners.
EO = 10-20 seconds. I'm slow.
EP OP = 40 seconds.
Corners = 1 min 20 sec, because I haven't really established a way to memo with OP corners.

...separate EO with old pochmann? wat?

I'm trying to interpret this differently than you, but I think you're right.

Ranzha, do you orient edges and then permute them one by one using Old Pochmann? Or have you confused the name of the edge method you use?

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
EP OP = 40 seconds.
Corners = 1 min 20 sec, because I haven't really established a way to memo with OP corners.

Ranzha, do you orient edges and then permute them one by one using Old Pochmann? Or have you confused the name of the edge method you use?

I do EO, and them I permute OP-style. It's easier to memo, but I'm trying to switch to edges as one step with M2.

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
EP OP = 40 seconds.

I do EO, and them I permute OP-style. It's easier to memo, but I'm trying to switch to edges as one step with M2.

That is really wierd. You do know that although you may find it slightly faster to memorize, execution will be way slower, since the setup moves are equally as easy for unoriented edges.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Okay. You meant that you memorize in order of the cycles. But almost everyone does that. I think by memory method he means *how* you remember the pieces and what order they are in.

Oh, you mean like visual memo? Like as if there are people around that don't use visual memo for 3x3? XD

Also, I memo corners first, then edges. This way I can establish parity, and adjust appropriately during edge memo. I know that's stupid but I don't bld enough to care.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
I can memo consistently in 45-50 seconds. It goes over a minute only when I want to secure it.

Last edited:

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Oh, you mean like visual memo? Like as if there are people around that don't use visual memo for 3x3? XD

Also, I memo corners first, then edges. This way I can establish parity, and adjust appropriately during edge memo. I know that's stupid but I don't bld enough to care.

I'm not quite sure I understand what your sarcastic comment meant. :rolleyes: My point was that calling your memory method "Old Pochmann" doesn't make any sense, just as calling your memory method "BH" or "M2" tells people nothing about how you memorize.