• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MEMO time for 3x3x3?

MEMO time for 3x3x3?

• Total voters

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Over 2 mins using Old Pochmann. I don't practise though.

I've never heard of the Old Pochmann memory method.

Just as you solve, you memo sticker by sticker in a cycle. I think the easiest way to categorise this is the same way as the method used to solve it, "Old Pochmann". You might feel the need to contest that but I don't really see any need.

Okay. You meant that you memorize in order of the cycles. But almost everyone does that. I think by memory method he means *how* you remember the pieces and what order they are in.

Oh, you mean like visual memo? Like as if there are people around that don't use visual memo for 3x3? XD

Also, I memo corners first, then edges. This way I can establish parity, and adjust appropriately during edge memo. I know that's stupid but I don't bld enough to care.

I'm not quite sure I understand what your sarcastic comment meant. :rolleyes: My point was that calling your memory method "Old Pochmann" doesn't make any sense, just as calling your memory method "BH" or "M2" tells people nothing about how you memorize.

Heh, I was just trying to say that I memo visually, as I should hope that everyone does for 3x3 bld. There really is no reason to do anything other than visual, which is clearly the best way.

aronpm

Heh, I was just trying to say that I memo visually, as I should hope that everyone does for 3x3 bld. There really is no reason to do anything other than visual, which is clearly the best way.

I don't do visual for anything... :eek:

I memo everything with letters. Maybe I will start doing visual corners when I finish learning BH corners. Normally my memo takes about 30-45 seconds I guess. I'm not sure about the individual times though.

Micael

Premium Member
WCA
2009BOUL03
YouTube
Visit Channel
40-60sec. I don't really practice (though I want!, just too busy). Once I got it, it is just like bike: I can do it anytime.

Method: Person-Action combined with method of loci. I "see" those images in my mind. Not that fast, but very good for recall and multi. I can memorize 10 cubes in 25-30 minutes.

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I'm pretty sure Haiyan uses letters or something of the sort. Plus a lot of very fast BLD solvers don't use visual. But I guess your BLD times are the ultimate testament to visual. :rolleyes: :p (Just to clarify, my last sentence was a joke.)

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
4 minutes,

I memo in this order:

Edges
Flipped edges
Parity
Corners
Twisted corners

I use letter pairs for memo, and usually just remember a bunch of letters, which edges to flip (eg. DF buffer, FL FD etc.), and the same for twisted corners (eg. L2 y' chameleon shaped oll with commutators y L2 etc.)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Visual is the best, by far.

If it's really true that Haiyan uses letters instead of pure visual, then I would be inclined to disagree with you. But I admit I don't know if that's true or not.

It seems to me that it should eventually be possible to be just as fast with a mnemonic system as you are with pure visual, although it certainly would take a lot of practice to get that fast, whereas visual is immediately very fast.

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
<15s. Letters for edges, mainly visual for corners.

PLEASE tell us how you memorize corners! What tricks do you use?

Haiyan just has VERY good exec, not memo.

I'd say < 15s memo is pretty damn good.

I know some of the fastest BLD solvers use visual, but that still doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone. I think some people are better off using memory methods because they can't recall pure visual.

Last edited: