• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MEMO time for 3x3x3?

MEMO time for 3x3x3?

• Total voters

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh, and since Ville uses letters too, then I'm even more convinced: letters must be at least almost as good as visual. So, visual might still in fact be best, but I don't believe it's best by far. Sorry, Joey.

Agreed. Personally I don't like visual. Its not for me. I use letters for edges and visual for corners but corner memo is what's killing my solves at the moment.

Micael

Premium Member
WCA
2009BOUL03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think I'm sort of a mix between visual and letters for edges. I use letters to memo but most of the time I would actually visualise those letters in my head to memorise them.

If you visualise those letters, then you use letters. "Visual" mean to memorize directly where pieces should go. That is how this word is used in this forum.

In my opinion, the word "visual" is a bit ambigous. I use images so I actually "visualise" them. That is not at all what we mean by "visual". Most people here understand what we mean by "visual", but I still think a more specific word would be better.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
EO, EP (Old Pochmann), corners.
EO = 10-20 seconds. I'm slow.
EP OP = 40 seconds.
Corners = 1 min 20 sec, because I haven't really established a way to memo with OP corners.

...separate EO with old pochmann? wat?

I'm trying to interpret this differently than you, but I think you're right.

Ranzha, do you orient edges and then permute them one by one using Old Pochmann? Or have you confused the name of the edge method you use?

I do EO, and them I permute OP-style. It's easier to memo, but I'm trying to switch to edges as one step with M2.

That is really wierd. You do know that although you may find it slightly faster to memorize, execution will be way slower, since the setup moves are equally as easy for unoriented edges.

I find it harder to memo, is all. I end up forgetting the orientations of edges, and it all goes downhill from there.

I memo letters for edges, and numbers for corners. Simple modifiers for CO.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm getting bullied now.

Just so you know, even though I don't think it's "better by far", I do suspect it is better. So don't take it too hard - I still think you have a point.

I think visual is probably fastest (perhaps by only fractions of a second) when perfected. But the advantage of not doing visual is you're more likely to be able to do lots and lots of them in a row, where with visual it seems like it's hard to just keep going for hours at it. But maybe that's just me.

Feryll

I'm getting bullied now.

Just so you know, even though I don't think it's "better by far", I do suspect it is better. So don't take it too hard - I still think you have a point.

I think visual is probably fastest (perhaps by only fractions of a second) when perfected. But the advantage of not doing visual is you're more likely to be able to do lots and lots of them in a row, where with visual it seems like it's hard to just keep going for hours at it. But maybe that's just me.

Not really too hard to keep going. Your head might feel fuzzy and used, but as long as you take a minute or two break, the short term memory of what pieces you tapped are flushed away.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
[...] where with visual it seems like it's hard to just keep going for hours at it. But maybe that's just me.

What!? To keep going for hours! You do that?

Sometimes. Unfortunately, I don't often have that kind of time, but I like to when I can. It seems like after about 25 3x3x3 BLD solves, I really get warmed up and I can often get some of my fastest solves.

I know Chester said he did something like 20 5x5x5 BLD attempts in one day a few months ago. I wish I had the time to try that sometime - it would be fun!

Yes We Can!

WCA
2009DIEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
EP OP = 40 seconds.
Corners = 1 min 20 sec, because I haven't really established a way to memo with OP corners.

I know. This thread is a bit old.
But... WHAT?! The principle of Old Pochmann is pretty much to do orientation and permutation in one step!

My memo is about 30-50 :) I will practice though.

Micael

Premium Member
WCA
2009BOUL03
YouTube
Visit Channel
EP OP = 40 seconds.

I know. This thread is a bit old.
But... WHAT?! The principle of Old Pochmann is pretty much to do orientation and permutation in one step!

My memo is about 30-50 :) I will practice though.

Hum... good question. Maybe He really orient first. I did it when I first learn R2, so at first I just need 7 algs and could start to do full solve quite soon.

roundy

WCA
2007XUYU01
my memo time is about 15-20 . i hate it .... slow down my overall time:( both corner and edge use letters, but edge letters memo with "sound", corner letters translate to "image". maybe i should try ville's mainly visual corner method.

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
my memo time is about 15-20 . i hate it .... slow down my overall time:( both corner and edge use letters, but edge letters memo with "sound", corner letters translate to "image". maybe i should try ville's mainly visual corner method.

Hey, great to have you on the forum! I'm currently in the process of switching to a memo method equivalent to your current one, and its good to see that it has a lot of potential. I know you aren't entirely satisfied with it, but 15-20s memo would be more than enough for me!