• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Megaminx: Which color for cross?

Samlambert

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I was wondering earlier today what color I should do my cross on on my megaminx and wanted to know what you guys used.

Sidenote: I was considering Dark Blue for my cross, good choice?

EDIT: Yeah, sorry, I meant star actually but I think everyone figured that out :p

Other question: Will the megaminx stickers replacement set here fit on my chinaminx? (Puzzleproz chinaminx)
http://cubesmith.com/megaminx.htm

Thanks in advance ^^

Last edited:

julz0716

I would go for white, cause it's always like the norm when it comes to solving the cross... anyway, i think neutral is good... :D

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use gold right now because my gold face screw tightens or loosens itself, so it is impossible to use. Thus I leave it, and finish it first ^^

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
I use white. I don't think it's a particularly better choice than others, I'm just used to it.
The only colors that should be avoided for the star are the colors which are too close to some other one, like the two greens on the chinaminx.
And IMHO geting color neutral on the megaminx is really hard.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
No. I have to find F2L pairs for the actual F2L (and I don't even solve them in pairs, I am faster at putting first the 5 edges then the 5 corners), and the last 5 pairs before the LL. If I start with any color other than white it completely messes up my recognition.
I'm currently practicing on my new supernova, and although it turns better than my chinaminx I am still slower on it, because the color scheme is different and I have to relearn which pieces must be solved at which step of the solve.

Laetitia

WCA
2007LEMO01
Dark blue!!!
And then white for the second face.
But I don't think there is a "good choice" or a "bad choice";)

I also think that colour neutrality would be very difficult.
I have a decent colour-scheme, by that I mean that FOR MY EYES, every colour is different. You can show me a green tile of chinese megaminx, without the piece, I can tell what green it is.

I can't be sub-2 if y don't start with blue then white etc. (that's why I can't be sub-2 with a megaminx with another color-scheme)

Of course I have to find F2L for several different colors, but I know when I have to find what color. If I have to think "well, now, I have to look for ....yellow-green-red", then, I lost a loooot of time and I'm not sub-2 anymore.

(and I'm also faster on my chinese than on my new supernova, but it's NOT a problem of color-scheme...)

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
I use blue exclusively for regular cubes, when I got my minx I thought dark blue would be the best for me. I realized that it was hard since dark blue is opposite light blue and I would always screw up when I got to the last layer. So I switched to white.

It doesn't matter what color you do the star with, just be sure that your ok with what the top color is, something that you won't get mixed up thinking that its a bottom face color.

Riceball92

WCA
2008WANG18
I like the start with the white star, simply because the white edges "stick out" the most to my eyes, and so its easy for me to find them during inspection. I don't know if I would go as far as to say it's better than any other color though...

By the way, using a specified "route" of colors (always solving the same sides in the same order) is probably better on a megaminx, for recognition's sake. But I'm no pro, so don't take my word for it.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I use gold right now because my gold face screw tightens or loosens itself, so it is impossible to use. Thus I leave it, and finish it first ^^
Take the screw out on that side, put a drop of super glue in the screw hole, then screw it in as necessary, and it will stop it from loosening/tightening.

I do my star on white.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Take the screw out on that side, put a drop of super glue in the screw hole, then screw it in as necessary, and it will stop it from loosening/tightening.

I do my star on white.

Yea, I know how to solve the problem, thanks, but to do it I first need glue >.<

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm I the only one who is not color neutral for 3x3 but completely color neutral for megaminx?

There are just so many colors! I can't even find one piece I want, so I might as well as solve whatever I see.

Is that why I suck at megaminx?
I've only solved it around 15 times ever and get better just about every solve, and last solve (the best) was around 4:30. I'll regain my interest in Megaminx someday, as I plan on learning 4 look 2GLL eventually.