• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Megaminx first star color

Yetiowin

WCA
2015JIAN03
Are most people color neutral on Megaminx? I am and I've never considered even choosing a main color to start with. You have to do different color f2ls anyway, so I don't see how it would decrease recognition time for pairs.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Are most people color neutral on Megaminx? I am and I've never considered even choosing a main color to start with. You have to do different color f2ls anyway, so I don't see how it would decrease recognition time for pairs.

One reason you would choose a first star color, is because then you can set up a predetermined way in which to do your f2l and s2l. For example, I do white star then red blue then red green and I continue in a clock wise way aroudn the f2l, unless there is a really easy case I see, then I'll do that one out of order. It really helps for look ahead.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Basically it's cause you already know the pairs which you form and those are the same all the time as well.

In general it also means that you know what the S2L will be each time so you can always look for the same pieces instead of trying to work out what the pieces are later. If you are fully CN on megaminx, it would not really have as much of an advantage as on a 3x3 because the distribution of the pieces would usually be greater and more sides would have to be drilled with even more practise time than for 3x3.

TorbinRoux

WCA
2014KITT01
I use orange star because the orange stickers are much brighter than all the others on my mega so it's just easier and faster to do f2l

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Robert Yau is color neutral on megaminx, so it's possible to get fast with it but I think it would be pretty difficult

You have to remember Rob is the most CN person ever, and he has also admitted he doesn't really think CN is that advantageous for megaminx. You'll generally improve way faster sticking to one colour.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, I always considered color neutrality on Megaminx impossible. :p
I do star on dark green, then I do light blue, white, the final purple pair, red, and then light green for LL. It works for me because I know to start looking for light blue while I finish up F2L, etc.

ZZTrooper

WCA
2015HOKE01
I do yellow star because the cream colour on the other side is easy to recognize for last layer. White is even better, but then I would have to do grey star. Yellow star is easy to find pieces and gives a good colour for last layer.

nvpendsey

The star and F2l recognition and look ahead is already terrible with fixed color. With CN it might be hopeless for people.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I do white star because the F2L colours stand out better than the S2L colours. I find it easier to deal with the pale low contrast colours when I don't have to search around the entire puzzle for them.