• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Kalius

Autocorrect. Meant alg

Gotcha, I have seen other people commenting on this matter, and I imagine it's about knowing where the pieces are headed to, once you execute the alg. This is where a lot practice comes into place. Thank you all!

macncheese

Gotcha, I have seen other people commenting on this matter, and I imagine it's about knowing where the pieces are headed to, once you execute the alg. This is where a lot practice comes into place. Thank you all!
You're welcome:D
Honestly, don't memorize basic algs. Just see what they do. Only memorize the special cases like piece in the slot, joint cases etc.

EddyEnvelope

Hi, I use just standard CFOP method and I am trying to constantly be sub 10 (I can do sub 13 AVG of 100 on good days).
I have noticed the stop that happens while recognizing OLL and PLL is slowing me down (btw I know 2sides PLL recognition) so I'd love to figure out ways to lookahead into OLL while inserting the last slot and lookahead into PLL while doing the OLL algorithm.
Cheers guys

Thom S.

Hi, I use just standard CFOP method and I am trying to constantly be sub 10 (I can do sub 13 AVG of 100 on good days).
I have noticed the stop that happens while recognizing OLL and PLL is slowing me down (btw I know 2sides PLL recognition) so I'd love to figure out ways to lookahead into OLL while inserting the last slot and lookahead into PLL while doing the OLL algorithm.
Cheers guys

Essentially they come with just enough practise. Now, a big part of lookahead is to know where pieces are heading. This is where it all begins to be time immersive. If you really want to be 100% sure about your OLL at the last Slot you would need to know that exactly for every F2L algorithm. But don't lose hope. Try to look into edge orientation. If you already know EO, you can rule out a lot of OLLs every time from recognition. Knowing some VHLS and WV always helps. For OLL there is a -new- recognition method called ROLL/JOLL developed by Jayden McNeill but I can't guarantee anything with it as I haven't used it myself yet. Now, pure OLL exists but that is uninteresting. I'd say start with the H OLL and the L OCLL - they are really good examples to looking ahead to PLL. Now, as with the last slot, knowing Algorithm sets(COLL, OLLCP) never hurts.
Now, to come back to my original Sentense, it's essentially just practise and messing around one case at a time

Vizovo

I've been practicing 4x4 and I've been realizing look ahead (especially when creating edge pairs) is really hard.
Any tips on how to get better at look ahead,

Do you mean that both MoYu MeiLong 4x4 and Yuxin Little Magic M 4x4 should be deleted?
I mean that you should just listen to everyone else and just roll over. There are SO MANY cubes these days, you just can't keep up with all of them. I mean, look at the Moyu Weipo 2x2. The cube came out in 2016. and people, from just starting and new cubers to the best of the best (albeit using custom options like w/ magnets). You dont need to update a thread every 2 weeks for it to be updated. Just every once in a while so people who are looking for a new speedcube know what is new and recommended. Seriously, you dont even have a WCA profile. @pjk has had his first comp 12 years ago, so by now if he thought really he needed to update it every two weeks, he would have.

And idk HOW you thought I was talking about mid-range 4x4s lmao.

I am just asking about 4x4s and the list.
Hold on a sec. Let me copy-paste my previous post into this. Can you please just ignore your lists for a sec and listen to me?

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 9.23.24 AM.png
Here:
'I mean that you should just listen to everyone else and just roll over. There are SO MANY cubes these days, you just can't keep up with all of them. I mean, look at the Moyu Weipo 2x2. The cube came out in 2016. and people, from just starting and new cubers to the best of the best (albeit using custom options like w/ magnets). You dont need to update a thread every 2 weeks for it to be updated. Just every once in a while so people who are looking for a new speedcube know what is new and recommended. Seriously, you dont even have a WCA profile. @pjk has had his first comp 12 years ago, so by now if he thought really he needed to update it every two weeks, he would have.'

WCA
2023FUKU01
Hold on a sec. Let me copy-paste my previous post into this. Can you please just ignore your lists for a sec and listen to me?

View attachment 10583
Here:
'I mean that you should just listen to everyone else and just roll over. There are SO MANY cubes these days, you just can't keep up with all of them. I mean, look at the Moyu Weipo 2x2. The cube came out in 2016. and people, from just starting and new cubers to the best of the best (albeit using custom options like w/ magnets). You dont need to update a thread every 2 weeks for it to be updated. Just every once in a while so people who are looking for a new speedcube know what is new and recommended. Seriously, you dont even have a WCA profile. @pjk has had his first comp 12 years ago, so by now if he thought really he needed to update it every two weeks, he would have.'
Online bullying should be curtailed.
Please don't post irrelevant contents.
Your post belongs here: https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/which-cube-should-i-get-up-to-date-recommendations.70960/
Edit: By the way, I appreciate pjk's effort onto the community.

Last edited:
WCA
2018LOIT01
Hi everyone,
I've been stuck with improving my lookahead for a while now and need a solution better than to slow down. Would any of you have a practice method that you found useful when learning lookahead?

Iwannaganx

I don't know if this has been made before, but I can look to at least 3 cross pieces in inspection, and find the 4th one while I make most of the cross, and look to first pair (mostly). But then from 1st pair to 2nd pair I can't look ahead as well, and 3rd and 4th are the same. Then during 4th pair I can look to the first look of OLL (I don't know full oll). I can mostly look to the 2nd look as well, but then I can't look to PLL first or second look. (I know about 13 mby PLL algs)

Does this just come from practice, or is there a specific way to practice just looking from OLL to PLL and from 1st pair through F2L? Do I just have to repeat my F2L over and then scramble, solve F2L, scramble, over and over? Same with OLL to PLL? Or is there something else I can do?

Tl;dr
How do I lookahead to 2nd, 3rd and 4th pair and to PLL?

zman

In inspection you should start forcing yourself to find and plan out the entire cross even if it takes more than 15 seconds. Keep doing that and youll improve to the point where you can do it in well under 15, and you can start working on finding first pair in inspection.

For F2L make sure you have all the cases in muscle memory and you know what to do with a case immediately upon seeing it, therefore you can force yourself to not look at the pair youre inserting and instead look for other pairs.

For lookahead into PLL, you can learn how your second look oll algorithms will effect the corners and know if youll get solved/adj/diag/3 cycle corners after OLL. PLL recog mostly comes with time though.

Iwannaganx

In inspection you should start forcing yourself to find and plan out the entire cross even if it takes more than 15 seconds. Keep doing that and youll improve to the point where you can do it in well under 15, and you can start working on finding first pair in inspection.

For F2L make sure you have all the cases in muscle memory and you know what to do with a case immediately upon seeing it, therefore you can force yourself to not look at the pair youre inserting and instead look for other pairs.

For lookahead into PLL, you can learn how your second look oll algorithms will effect the corners and know if youll get solved/adj/diag/3 cycle corners after OLL. PLL recog mostly comes with time though.
ok those are some good ideas. does anyone have a pdf or something with the arrows showing what the 2nd look algs for oll do to the corners/edges?

lol i just watched jperms new vid on lookahead