• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Lock Up Help

aaronb

On the bottom of the corners there are probably 3 bumps. Sand those off and put the torpedoes back in. This makes it so the torpedoes move smoothly.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On the bottom of the corners there are probably 3 bumps. Sand those off and put the torpedoes back in. This makes it so the torpedoes move smoothly.

Did that. There's still the change in the smooth, "simple" guhongy feel.

yeah torpedoes suck on all cubes.... they basically tighten them but make them less smooth.

At least I can keep it at a really loose tension with it popping.
As of now I've just decided to take the torpedoes out but keep the very loose tension and make myself turn more gently and accurately.

aaronb

Did that. There's still the change in the smooth, "simple" guhongy feel.

Hmm, sorry. I only have torpedoes in my Zhanchi, so I wouldn't know. That was just my first thought, as that is what is commonly suggested for the Zhanchi.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is my point. It doesn't seem to hinder the zhanchi's feel an awful lot. Plus the zhanchi explodes like crazy and even worse without torpedoes. Además, it still feels tight. Which is why I prefer the guhong.

I'm using zhanchi torpedoes btw.

aaronb

This is my point. It doesn't seem to hinder the zhanchi's feel an awful lot. Plus the zhanchi explodes like crazy and even worse without torpedoes. Además, it still feels tight. Which is why I prefer the guhong.

I don't think they are perfectly interchangeable, did you modify the edges of the Guhong to the torpedoes to do it? If you buy Guhong torpedoes that were made for them, may fix your problem.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel

A mi no me gusta el guhong. Me gusta más el Zhanchi. Ya saque los torpedos del Zhanchi y no esta apretado. Hasta ahora, no me ha “popped” . Lol

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think they are perfectly interchangeable, did you modify the edges of the Guhong to the torpedoes to do it? If you buy Guhong torpedoes that were made for them, may fix your problem.

Sí, porque este si no lo hice (i'm sure this is not quite the correct spanish phrase, bah) , i wouldn't have been able to fit them in in the first place.

A mi no me gusta el guhong. Me gusta más el Zhanchi. Ya saque los torpedos del Zhanchi y no esta apretado. Hasta ahora, no me ha “popped” . Lol

Eh. Odio el zhanchi lol. Siempre 'pop' y exploda.

melrohner

What's wrong with my guhong?

A few months ago, a friend and I both bought guhong POM diys. We put them together the same way (actually at the same time, sitting at the same table, etc.). His was great but mine is very clicky. It catches and locks up ALOT. I've done the edge mod where you shave off the little ridges (four on each edge - 48-point edge mod, I think it's called) and I've lubed it. Those things helped, but it still catches alot. I will say that it was my first-ever diy, but it was pretty simple and I don't think I really messed anything up. Is there anything I can do to improve it? Any mods, ideas or suggestions? If it weren't for the lock-ups and catches it would be a really great cube, and it has really nice cubesmith stickers for it too. I looked over the guhong thread, but I was hoping for help with my specific problem. I'd love any suggestions to make it a better cube! Thanks!

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there extra plastic anywhere? You can also try to tension it a little looser/tighter.

EDIT: might be some of the pieces are not completely closed too. Check corners (especially base)
and check to see if you put the screws in crooked

Last edited:

asportking

YouTube
Visit Channel
I reassembled my Guhong once, and it got really catchy on one side for some reason, like the "wings" on the edge pieces couldn't quite fit into the space between the center piece and the core. I think it was because I screwed one of the screws in weird, so if your Guhong is sort of like that, then maybe that's the problem.

skeletonboy

You might want to take apart the whole Guhong again, and reassemble, but this time keeping in mind to make sure every piece is perfect and the way it should, you may want to spend a bit more time inspecting each cubie, checking for extra plastic, defected pieces or other irregular things.

EDIT: Also, if your cube catches again after doing what I just said, slowly turn the cube and wait for the "click". If you turn it carefully and have a good ear, you can tell where the click is coming from.

Alvin Tan

Make sure the tension are even throughout all 6 centers as my guhong before tensioning properly locks a lot.

melrohner

I don't see any extra plastic anywhere. The corners don't really fit tightly together - there are slight gaps between the pieces. But I've tried taking them apart and putting them together several times, and no matter how hard I push on them, the gaps are always there. I just don't know how to fix it. I don't even know if that's what's causing the lock-ups or if that's normal. If anyone has any solutions to that I'd love to hear them. I've thought about shaving off some of the edges but I'm afraid I'll do more harm than good.

I even looked again at the pieces I shaved in the edge mod, to see if any of those are still rough, but they all seem good.

Thanks everyone for the replies - I really appreciate the help! If it weren't for the catches I think this would be my favorite cube now.

choza244

WCA
2011FLAR01
See if your friend's cube have the same gaps, I often push the corners of my cube a bit hard and I feel like they were those little gaps between the pieces of the corner, even when the gap is small it makes a big difference. Is not a GuHong but maybe with the GuHong is the same.

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
Pictures might help but try to clean the inside of the corners or you could try getting rid of the bottom thing that connects the corners. I heard some peoples cubes were better without it. I never had that problem with any of my guhongs. Try comparing everything to your friend's cube and double check to see if there's any crooked screws.

skeletonboy

I don't see any extra plastic anywhere. The corners don't really fit tightly together - there are slight gaps between the pieces. But I've tried taking them apart and putting them together several times, and no matter how hard I push on them, the gaps are always there. I just don't know how to fix it. I don't even know if that's what's causing the lock-ups or if that's normal. If anyone has any solutions to that I'd love to hear them. I've thought about shaving off some of the edges but I'm afraid I'll do more harm than good.

I even looked again at the pieces I shaved in the edge mod, to see if any of those are still rough, but they all seem good.

Thanks everyone for the replies - I really appreciate the help! If it weren't for the catches I think this would be my favorite cube now.

Ah, the corners don't go well together. Then try this, take out 1 edge piece and 1-2 corners out of the cube and try to move the pieces around each other like as if the cube itself. Just put the 2 or 3 pieces together out of the cube, and see if the gap is still there. If there is no "gap" then it's the rest of the cube's problem. If you put the pieces together and you STILL see the gap, then seriously, the problem is on the pieces. Post what you find.

cannon4747

WCA
2011vili01
YouTube
Visit Channel
no two cubes will be precisely the same after the molding process and one specific cube may not be as good as another of the same type. sometimes all you need to do is set the tensions or just solve it a bunch to break it in. if this doesn't work you'll have to go hardcore:

take the cube apart completely core and all. clean it out fully inside and out with a paper towel. get an exacto-knife and use it to scrape away any molding imperfections also make sure you smooth out any imperfections left over from the 48 point edge mod by scraping the blade across holding it an a 90 degree or less angle in the direction you are scraping: (knife blade = "/")
/ -->. screw the centers in with perfectly even tensions as best you can. after it is assembled see if the problem is gone. if not, repeat. once it seems fine tension and lube and you should be good.

skeletonboy

no two cubes will be precisely the same after the molding process and one specific cube may not be as good as another of the same type. sometimes all you need to do is set the tensions or just solve it a bunch to break it in. if this doesn't work you'll have to go hardcore:

take the cube apart completely core and all. clean it out fully inside and out with a paper towel. get an exacto-knife and use it to scrape away any molding imperfections also make sure you smooth out any imperfections left over from the 48 point edge mod by scraping the blade across holding it an a 90 degree or less angle in the direction you are scraping: (knife blade = "/")
/ -->. screw the centers in with perfectly even tensions as best you can. after it is assembled see if the problem is gone. if not, repeat. once it seems fine tension and lube and you should be good.

I'm quite sure he has fully taken apart and fully assembled the cube a few times and he said he had the right tensions even then. And he said that he has compared both cube's pieces and he has found no imperfections.
You may want to post some high definition pictures of each profile of the edge, corner, core etc.