• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Legendary Things That Happened on This Website Thread

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
@CubeRed thanks for the idea

This is where all the things that happened here AND ARE LEGENDARY go.

I will start. Earlier today a post in the Youcuber argument thread became the first thread in all of the forums with EVERY SINGLE REACTION. No this isn't fact checked but it probably doesn't need to be. I was the last reaction reacting with meh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210813-000215.png
    Screenshot_20210813-000215.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20210813-000234.png
    Screenshot_20210813-000234.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 61

Porcupine01

The one that was asked for shouldn’t count, because it was intended for by the poster, but the other one, was unintentional, and not asked for by the poster, so it should count as the first post with all the reactions (if this hasn’t happened before.)

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright, back on topic.
This is not that amazing but this is the first thread posted on this forum.
I might be wrong tho

This thread is older, and also @pjk 's first forum post. I'd imagine he was the first to post on here since he's the founder of the forum, but I wasn't cubing back then so I can't be sure!

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
People no longer remember the truly legendary things that happened on this forum :'(

Here are some things that I remember happened here:
  • Countless barriers and UWRs broken
    • Ville Seppanen getting UWRs 3-4 minutes below the bigBLD WRs at the time
    • Alex Lau temporarily bringing the Roux UWR avg100 below the CFOP UWR avg100
    • Feliks getting the first sub 1 avg5 on 5x5 after trying out a Florian modded 5x5 and blowing the minds of everyone here
  • Important progressions:
    • Alex Lau doing 10000 solves in a month to almost singlehandedly prove that roux is a viable method, and tracking his progress on this forum
    • The earliest learners of full ZBLL posting their progress
  • The development and popularization of techinques which are used to this day:
    • The development of 3-style (the name 3-style became popular because of posts here)
    • Early debates about Yau leading to its eventual popularity
    • The first discussions of table abuse for roux.
  • The development of countless algs - I'd bet all of you use at least one or two algs which were first shared on Speedsolving.com.
It's sad that people don't remember what speedsolving used to be. It used to be THE place that where important things in our hobby happened or were discussed. I hope that in years gone by people will remember these things and not some Among Us meme getting a bunch of reacts.

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's sad that people don't remember what speedsolving used to be. It used to be THE place that where important things in our hobby happened or were discussed. I hope that in years gone by people will remember these things and not some Among Us meme getting a bunch of reacts.
That's what this thread is for https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/best-most-useful-threads-on-speedsolving-com.70376/ . Feel free to add to the list. Also, it's true that if you have been around for a while, you forget some of the contributions you have made. The link in my signature goes to a thread where each poster can freely keep editing/updating as time goes on.

This thread is older, and also @pjk 's first forum post. I'd imagine he was the first to post on here since he's the founder of the forum, but I wasn't cubing back then so I can't be sure!
If you change the .3 in the url with .1, you get an earlier thread.

This is where all the things that happened here AND ARE LEGENDARY go.

I will start. Earlier today a post in the Youcuber argument thread became the first thread in all of the forums with EVERY SINGLE REACTION. No this isn't fact checked but it probably doesn't need to be. I was the last reaction reacting with meh.
The term legendary is different than things of rarity/chance. (This reminds me of the misuse of the term, "epic".)

With regards to things on a forum, a single post can be legendary when:
  • The poster or whom the post was about broke some type of barrier which was thought to not be possible to break (like for a while). This could have been speed related, FMC, etc.
  • A revolutionary useful (or different) method was created.
  • A concept/idea was made simple that was over-complicated (by everyone) since the dawn of the cubing age.
But entire threads can be legendary as well. Great discussions, for example.

So I think we need to properly define what "legendary" is for this to become a good thread.

Some Examples of What I Define as Legendary

Last edited:

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel