• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Interview with Stefan Pochmann

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
YouTube
pjkcards
Thread starter #1
July 25, 2008 : Interview with Speedsolving.com member Stefan Pochmann : Was the first person to solve the 5x5x5 Blindfolded Officially (Europe 2004), and the first person to solve the following puzzles blindfolded unofficially: Megaminx, Super 5x5, Square-1, Skewb and Clock.

Just finished my diploma in computer science, now I work as software developer (mostly Perl).

What is your favorite event, why?
Right now 3x3 BLD, even though I'm quite slow. I just love blindcubing, it's always exciting to open your eyes and see a solved puzzle. And 3x3 is the only one I can do in a reasonable time, otherwise I might prefer multi or large cube blindsolving (I enjoy watching the good guys finish their attempts in those events). I need to stop dreaming of better methods and start practicing.

What made you become interested in solving puzzles?
I don't remember what it was back when I started as a little kid. Probably the playful challenge, I've always loved riddles. In 2003 I returned to cubing after a long break when I found the emerging community on the web and saw people much better than me. Together with the riddle aspect, the people and the competition were important factors to get me back to cubing.

What, in your opinion, is your biggest "cubing" accomplishment?
My 5x5 blindsolve at the Euro2004 competition. That was actually my first attempt ever, I hadn't even tried just memorizing the whole cube before. It was such an incredible feeling when I saw I had succeeded, and my cubing friends being right there and happy for me amplified the joy so much. Community-wise I'm also quite happy with the blindcubing methods I invented, maybe my most influential contribution to the community.

What are your other hobbies?
My what? Ok, just kidding. Although, cubing has indeed become my by far most dominant hobby ever. Before cubing, I've been very involved in programming competitions, as I like (algorithmic) problem solving very much. Nowadays I don't have time for it anymore, but I combine programming with cubing by writing solver programs, creating cubing websites, etc. I also like mathematics, physics and juggling, although in these areas I'm more interested than skilled (so far). Music is
something I love, too; I sing to myself all the time but never learned to play an instrument (although I do have a guitar). Oh and I'm fairly health-conscious and read a lot about exercise and nutrition and have started putting the information into action, so don't act surprised if we meet some day and I look like the Hulk.

What is/are your pet peeve(s)?
Disrespect and recklessness in their countless forms. Although maybe that doesn't fit the "pet" part of the term. So here's a pet one: I can't stand any distraction when watching a TV show or movie I seriously care about, that's why I only watch them alone and in darkness with headphones.

Last edited: