• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Learning Full ZBLL - My Journey

KenBrace

Folks, I have decided to embark on possibly the most difficult speed cubing accomplishment out there.

I'm going to learn full ZBLL.

My goal is to learn at least one algorithm per day on average.

At this rate it'll take me 1 - 2 years to learn the whole bit.

I've got 493 algorithms to learn so it'll definitely take a while.

To help boost my motivation I've decided to post a thread here logging my progress.

I'm not sure how it'll all work out but I am determined to stick with it until the end.

So without further ado, let the journey begin!

KenBrace

Day 1

#1 - ZBLL-T [No PLL] - (y') R' U' R U' R' U2 R L U L' U L U2 L'
#2 - ZBLL-U [No PLL] - (y) R2 U F U' F2 D R2 D' R2 F U' R2
#3 - ZBLL-L [No PLL] - R U2 R' L' U' L U' R U' R' L' U2 L

TOTAL: 3

NOTES: All 3 are decent algorithms. The second one feels a little awkward but it's not too bad.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
1 per day is a sub-optimal approach.

I think you need to cram them into your head faster than you can forget them.
After talking with a few people, learning whole batches and subsets at the same time seems to work well.

Good luck.

Jaysammey777

WCA
2010AMBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

After talking with a few people, learning whole batches and subsets at the same time seems to work well.

Good luck.

IMO this is true with no matter what you learn, but only for certain people. Ie if I have a vocab quiz on Tuesday with 40 words and i study only 20 mins before then I can make about a 80 switching up words, if I only study the Night before and don't look again I will get about 80 forgetting the other words, if I study a few days before and don't look I get about a 60 not even know the other words, and if I study a few days before and look back over 2-3 times then I make 95-100 and getting close with the others. Keep in mind his is only 30-40 words and I did these quizzes for a foreign language every week this semester, and this is just what I noticed. Then again this is just how I work, it's diffrent for everyone thou!

OLLiver

WCA
2015JENK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
as someone who learnt his 200th ZBLL yesterday, I would recommend doing 1-2 per day as a minimum, like somedays I can just do 6 no problem, other days, also remember to practice the ones you already know using QQ timer ZBLL scrambles.

Also this doesn't require its own thread, maybe post in the Race to full ZBLL thread instead? Or you could use the accomplishment thread for its original purpose

Last edited:

KenBrace

Good luck.

To be honest this is basically what I'm doing. Learn 5 - 10 in two or three days then cement them in my mind for the rest of the week. But all in all it works out to an average of roughly one per day. Also, I want my goal to give leeway for ZBLL vacations. I think aiming for more than that would be jumping the gun. Set a realistic goal. If it gets easier then so be it. But best not to over estimate yourself. Sometimes you can get on a role and learn five or six algs in a day. Seems great but you can't realistically keep that up unless you completely devote your life to speed cubing. Some days I might be really busy with something and don't feel like learning algs. Or I might just feel like doing some solves. You also need time to cement the ones you've learned into your mind. I think one per day (i.e. it'll take roughly 500 days to learn everything) is both ambitious and realistic.

as someone who learnt his 200th ZBLL yesterday, I would recommend doing 1-2 per day as a minimum, like somedays I can just do 6 no problem, other days, also remember to practice the ones you already know using QQ timer ZBLL scrambles.

Congrats! 200 is great.

Thanks for the tip! Didn't know that about qqTimer. That'll definitely come in handy.

Also this doesn't require its own thread, maybe post in the Race to full ZBLL thread instead? Or you could use the accomplishment thread for its original purpose

Creating my own thread feels more motivating.

also remember to practice the ones you already know using QQ timer ZBLL scrambles.

Searching around and don't see a feature for this.

How is it done exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
To be honest this is basically what I'm doing. Learn 5 - 10 in two or three days then cement them in my mind for the rest of the week. But all in all it works out to an average of roughly one per day. Also, I want my goal to give leeway for ZBLL vacations. I think aiming for more than that would be jumping the gun. Set a realistic goal. If it gets easier then so be it. But best not to over estimate yourself. Sometimes you can get on a role and learn five or six algs in a day. Seems great but you can't realistically keep that up unless you completely devote your life to speed cubing.

Throughout the years, I've noticed that's the type of thinking that leads to failure when it comes to ZBLL.

Don't underestimate yourself, because when you set limits like that, you're just hindering yourself.
Think of it this way:

Option 1: Underestimate self = slower progress.
Option 2: Overestimate self = surprise yourself with how good you are.

Only by overestimating yourself will you find your limits. (Which don't exist, there are no limits)
Seriously believe me, it's humanly possible to learn in a month, you just have to exert yourself past your comfort zone.

KenBrace

Throughout the years, I've noticed that's the type of thinking that leads to failure when it comes to ZBLL.

Don't underestimate yourself, because when you set limits like that, you're just hindering yourself.
Think of it this way:

Option 1: Underestimate self = slower progress.
Option 2: Overestimate self = surprise yourself with how good you are.

Only by overestimating yourself will you find your limits. (Which don't exist, there are no limits)
Seriously believe me, it's humanly possible to learn in a month, you just have to exert yourself past your comfort zone.

The goal is more or less a minimum limit. If I can indeed learn it faster then that will happen naturally. But the bottom line is that I'm going to force a minimum learning rate of one per day.

KenBrace

Day 2

TOTAL: 3

NOTES: Was busy all day and didn't have time for cubing. Nothing new learned.

KenBrace

The way this thread is set up, it might be better to be a race to full zbll forum competition. Just saying seems like a spam a day that we could go without especially with post of doing nothing.

Perhaps you have a point with the empty days. Might be better to only post days containing progress. Or maybe I should do weekly updates. That would be easier anyway. Yeah I thing I'll do that. This daily stuff is going to get tiresome.

KenBrace

The way this thread is set up, it might be better to be a race to full zbll forum competition. Just saying seems like a spam a day that we could go without especially with post of doing nothing.

Hey, I just noticed the link to your chess.com account. Awesome! I'm a chess fanatic!

We should play sometime. :)

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ken, based on your post history, you're in Georgia?

Which part of Georgia?
I also live there and if you'd like, I can give you tons of ZBLL help in person.