• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is this a good beginner method?

PianoCube

Note: This is not a tutorial, so I will not make any detailed description for each step. Just say the purpose of each step, some algorithms and a few comments. I'm not 100% sure this is the right place to post this, but I think it is.

There is something I have discovered while trying to teach others how to solve a Rubik's Cube: I don't really like any of the beginner methods I know of, so I decided to make my own. This method is supposed to be easy to understand and learn (When explained properly, and not by just reading this). It uses a lot of sexy-moves, and very short/simple algorithms.

Step one: First layer edges (cross).
Solve the cross!

Step two: Second layer edges.
Algs:
R U' R'
L' U L
Should be easy to understand.

Step three: Corners first layer.
Algs:
U' (R U' R') U2 (R U' R')
U (L' U L) U2 (L' U L)
(R U R' U')x3
The same as F2L case 32, 33 and 34 http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/F2L
If a corner is in the right place, but oriented wrong, just use (R U R' U')x3 to get it out, and then solve it normally

Step four: Orient edges last layer.
Algs:
F (R U R' U') F'
f (R U R' U') f'
F (R U R' U') F' f (R U R' U') f'

Step five: Permute edges last layer.
Algs:
R U R' U R U2 R' (sune)
Have to be used once or twice, depending of which case you get.

Sexy-move all the way from here.

Step six: Orient corners last layer
Algs:
Sexy-move!
Turn the cube upside down, then orient the corners by using sexy move times two or four and D moves.

Step seven: Permute corners last layer
Algs:
Sexy-move!
Use three sexy moves to swap the two front right corners. Solve the rest by using this and D moves.

The solving of the last layer corners requires a lot of moves (around 80-130), but since it’s all sexy-moves, it can be done quite fast with basic finger tricks. Learning to do (U R U' R')x2 instead of (R U R' U')x4 for orienting, and the four PLLs Aa, Ab, E and H will help even more (around 40-50 moves), and is a good start towards learning 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL too.

I would like to get some feedback of what you think about it, and if you think it's a good method to teach people that knows nothing about solving a Rubik's Cube?

Last edited:

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
You seem to be permuting those edges twice, and ignoring the permutation of your corners...

Also, move-counts would be a bit lower if you did corners in FL before edges in second layer.
Overall, this is pretty standard, though.

PianoCube

You seem to be permuting those edges twice, and ignoring the permutation of your corners...

Also, move-counts would be a bit lower if you did corners in FL before edges in second layer.
Overall, this is pretty standard, though.

Permuting edges twice? Ignoring permutation of corners? I can't see where you get that from, but maybe it's just my explanation that isn't good enough.

The reason for solving the second layer before the first layer corners, is because I think those algorithms are easier to learn.

Chrisandstuff

Hmm very intersting and very easy to understand. I might use this method to teach the next person that wants to learn how to solve a cube.

Edit: I timed myself with this method I average 25ish using CFOP but with this I managed a 1:15 definetly able to be faster for someone who just practices the method and is alot more fluent in it.

Last edited:

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This method seems like a combination of classic LBL and the Sexy Method / 8355 Method. Interesting.
Step 6 and 7 can be done in one (still easy?) step with Sexy moves, however, I do not know how much a beginner would "like" it. :)

Edit: I like your Step 4. I teach here different algorithms, but these are much easier to learn.

If you learn the inverse of the sexy move, you can spare a lot of moves in Step 6 and 7. (e.g. two sexy plus two inverse sexy instead of two sexy and four sexy).

Last edited:

PianoCube

I said something about using the inverse sexy-move, but I just didn't use that word.

This method will also (almost) force you to learn some finger tricks, unless you want to kill your wrists while solving the last corners.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I'm teaching people to solve the cube, I teach them the same F2L method.
I posted about it three years ago: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?15356-A-new-way-to-F2L-correct-me-if-I-m-wrong
The general response there was that it wasn't practical for speedsolving, but could be used as an alternative to "standard" LBL.

I have a beginner's method written tutorial here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1tgEkDH4PZQSHFCb2lhaEVkWUU
Google Docs butchered some formatting, and there are a couple of mistakes.

PianoCube

I'm glad I'm not the first to think of that F2L method, and that some others seems to like it, but I think its weird that it's not used more in beginner methods, as I think it's easier for beginners to learn. Another cool thing about it is that you can solve the corners without cube rotations (but that will of course require some additional algs).

I have a beginner's method written tutorial here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1t...HFCb2lhaEVkWUU
Google Docs butchered some formatting, and there are a couple of mistakes.

Your LL seems to be pretty much the same as badmephisto's beginner method?
The reason I have chosen to use something else, is because I think it has a bit too many cases for being easy to learn.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm glad I'm not the first to think of that F2L method, and that some others seems to like it, but I think its weird that it's not used more in beginner methods, as I think it's easier for beginners to learn. Another cool thing about it is that you can solve the corners without cube rotations (but that will of course require some additional algs).

Your LL seems to be pretty much the same as badmephisto's beginner method?
The reason I have chosen to use something else, is because I think it has a bit too many cases for being easy to learn.

I find it easier to relate the first-layer corner permutation algorithms easier to explain intuitively, save for the (sexy)3 alg.

I haven't looked into Badmephisto's beginner LL method, but I agree with you on the notion of high case count. I try instilling this because it forces the beginning solver to learn how to recognise subtle differences in cases (namely OCLL and EPLL).

nqwe

I have tought some people this method, but using a different corner permutation approch.
My corner permutation method is the same as in Erik Akkersdijk megaminx method.
You do R U R', turn the d layer, R U' R, d layer, repeat.
This is more efficient altought a bit harder to get.