• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ideas for Hardware revolutions

ketchupcuber

Hi guys this thread is about completely new hardware ideas, for example magnets was one.
To start off i had an idea of slight indents between the centres and edges for this is where your thumbs rest in home grip, this could make regrips a lot faster because you could instantly know where to place your hands, let me know what you think of this and don't hesitate to post your own ideas.

also i know this would not work for stickered cubes.

PalmsOnCubes

I would think that if a manufacturer set out to make a $50+ revolutionary flagship that there’d be room in production costs to account for weight and other problems through engineering and pricier materials. Could ultra lightweight magnets be used in conjunction with springs to create a maglev tensioning/compression system while still keeping the cube 80g or so? On that point, if a $500 speedcube were released that showed proof of concept with maglev and low weight, could it be worth it for the innovation? On top of that, would that price be worth it for the top cubers if the performance were significantly better than an XS, Weilong, or Valk?

xyzzy

The description of it on TheCubicle states that it is not WCA legal.
TheCubicle isn't a WCA delegate and I don't know why I should trust their words specifically, when the regulations have been tending towards "anything (reasonable) goes" and the concave shape doesn't seem to give more information (compared to e.g. old tiled cubes where the tiles have considerable thickness, or even to standard stickerless cubes).

ketchupcuber

guys do u agree that i think that cube hardware has got to a point where even someone comes up with something incredible for hardware it wont actually effect times because if you look at feliks he has no lockups and the cube doesn't limit his tps, i feel that hardware has got to a point where it wont effect times only feel.
like if you agree

brododragon

guys do u agree that i think that cube hardware has got to a point where even someone comes up with something incredible for hardware it wont actually effect times because if you look at feliks he has no lockups and the cube doesn't limit his tps, i feel that hardware has got to a point where it wont effect times only feel.
like if you agree
Feel is everything. If you've ever gotten a cube with a really good feel (hopefully everyone reading this), you'll notice you practice more. Really bad feel makes cubing a chore, while a good feel makes cubing a treat.

Also I'd rather spend 10 more bucks to get a good cube rather than spend months perfecting my turning.

Magnets in a certain pattern so that they align perfectly only in the solved position. Therefore you take the cube and the cube solves itself on it's own.

Last edited:

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
TheCubicle isn't a WCA delegate and I don't know why I should trust their words specifically, when the regulations have been tending towards "anything (reasonable) goes" and the concave shape doesn't seem to give more information (compared to e.g. old tiled cubes where the tiles have considerable thickness, or even to standard stickerless cubes).
That's true. Reading the regulations, it is unclear whether the concave pieces count as "elevated pieces" that "significantly distinguish" the types of pieces.
Source? I'd have assumed that that cube is comp legal (but who would actually want to use it…).

Yeah, I don't think anyone would use it at a competition, except for maybe Wish Lin. :p

like if you agree
It's called a mature market. It's happened in many other industries, such as cars. Disregarding electric vehicles, which are like the magnetic cubes of the car world, when was the last major innovation in that industry? It's prevalent in many other industries as well, such as smartphones or laptops. It can really happen to anything if it gets developed enough.

xyzzy

That's true. Reading the regulations, it is unclear whether the concave pieces count as "elevated pieces" that "significantly distinguish" the types of pieces.
"significantly distinguish any piece from a similar piece"

They're all identically elevated. There's no distinguishing to be done there.