• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] I Dont fully understand f2l very well

Xoey

Ok so i have a slight understanding of f2l but it takes me soooo long to pair and insert them. I dont know where to got to learn the algorithms and how to take less time trying to pair them. aAmost every YT vid is towards intermediate and that confuses me even more. Can anyone help me or guide me in the right direction. If we need to fully discuss things i have discord so just ask for it.

MohamadAA

Don't worry, I avarage 16.5 sec and when I started learning CFOP about four months ago I couldn't. I spent a whole week leterally each day I wake up, open Jperm's intuitive f2l vid and get confused and then WADDLE AWAY WADDLE WADDLE. Back to the point, if you can't understand f2l, that's normal. Just keep SWIMMING SWIMMING(stop with the puns) As I was saying, I found out later that I was confused BUTT. :mad: THATS IT I'M DONE.... EHHHHH I probably should focus on the point. I thought I was confused but in fact if you gave me an f2l pair I could solve it but I wasn't comfortable with it. So I think you should watch a couple of intuitive f2l vids and then practice for a week and see if you become comfortable with it

vidcapper

My most dreaded word in tutorials is 'intuitive', because IMO that usually means 'screw you, i'm not going to help'. ;)

Some people are happy with the 'throw you in & you either sink or swim' method, but that's just not me. If I mess up, I need to know where I went wrong, not be told 'keep at it and you'll get there' - the latter just disincentivizes me.

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't like intuition because it just makes you think and experience by yourself instead of actually speedsolving with useful tools, strategies, and algs.

MohamadAA

I don't like intuition because it just makes you think and experience by yourself instead of actually speedsolving with useful tools, strategies, and algs.
Well he said he doesn't fully understand f2l which means he is still in the "Beginner stage" so intuitive f2l is better than algorithmic f2l. Later he could learn algorithmic f2l but early on intuitive I'm better

Well he said he doesn't fully understand f2l which means he is still in the "Beginner stage" so intuitive f2l is better than algorithmic f2l. Later he could learn algorithmic f2l but early on intuitive I'm better
in algorithmic F2L, you literally doesn't need to think, in intuitive F2L, you will have to be aware of many things, and beginners often don't really know how things work.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I highly recommend watching this a few times and really understanding what is going on here.

You must understand the idea of pairs and inserting pairs to advance any further.

vidcapper

Do I detect a little sarcasm there? ;)

I should point out that when you're learning a new puzzle/technique you're not going to be *speedsolving* with it for a while anyway...

My point is that we all learn in different ways, some of us prefer a more structured approach, at least until we are comfortable.

zslane

From what I can tell, "Intuitive F2L" just means learning the fundamental principles of finding corner-edge pairs, splitting them up if necessary, then (re-)pairing them up, and inserting them into their slots. Eventually, after enough practice and experience, this process will become so internalized that it will feel similar to OLL or PLL in that your brain will recognize "cases" and your muscle memory will execute the necessary moves without you having to think about each of the individual steps that are involved (I'm not there yet myself). They become akin to algorithms. However, I am told (in another thread) that F2L is not an algorithm-based process per se. At least not in terms of how you learn and practice it (except possibly for a few really "tough" cases).

So, intuitive F2L refers to learning the following steps for each of the four slots that need to be solved:
  1. Find a matching corner/edge pair of cubies.
  2. Set them up on the top layer so they can be "paired up" properly. (This may require splitting them up first.)
  3. Pair them up and insert them into their "slot".
Any decent "Intuitive" or "Beginner" F2L tutorial will explain each of these steps, along with the kinds of moves it takes to accomplish them. As you can see this is not a case-alg approach, but rather, a series of steps you follow for each of the four F2L slots.

Ander

Ok so i have a slight understanding of f2l but it takes me soooo long to pair and insert them. I dont know where to got to learn the algorithms and how to take less time trying to pair them. aAmost every YT vid is towards intermediate and that confuses me even more. Can anyone help me or guide me in the right direction. If we need to fully discuss things i have discord so just ask for it.

I learnt by watching
Fairly old tutorial, but it's very clear.

Watch it and learn the three basic cases. The rest is all exercise. Or so they tell me: my times still suck :D

BTW: Feliks Zemdegs learnt F2L from these videos. He said so himself.