• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Hoya Discussion

SpeedCuber71

WCA
2014BHAT09
YouTube
Visit Channel
https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~dadams/hoya/ doesn't seem to show the cases anymore since a while (at least for me). Is it just me or is it the same for y'all?

Also 1:18 official avg and 1:08 single in 5x5 with the method. 32 4x4 single too (i don't practice 4x4). I don't solve individual complete cross edge pieces at once. i solve whatever piece i see first.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel

asacuber

WCA
2015SANT44
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey I want to improve at 4x4, here are my splits:

F4C: 8-10
Cross edges: 16-18
L2C: 2-3
3-2-3: 15(Not so sure)
3x3: 12-15

Full solve: 58-1:02

Where could I get faster?

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here is a 55 second solve at MCC Alpha. I'm doing 6-2 for edges. I have an awkward slice thingy during the final two centers and think I just need to do (F L) then solve the centers more freely instead of just doing (F) and slicing. Any tips for me?

It looks like my splits were
F4C: 9
Cross Edges: 11
L2C: 5
6-2: 14
3x3: 16

Reactions: Dom

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here is a 55 second solve at MCC Alpha. I'm doing 6-2 for edges. I have an awkward slice thingy during the final two centers and think I just need to do (F L) then solve the centers more freely instead of just doing (F) and slicing. Any tips for me?

It looks like my splits were
F4C: 9
Cross Edges: 11
L2C: 5
6-2: 14
3x3: 16

I kinda wish I could see what was going on from your POV, just to get a better view of the Hoya steps. All in all, I'd say that looked just fine. As for specific observations:
  • First 2 Centers looked like they coulda benefited from more lookahead, just to reduce a few split second pauses. But then the Second 2 Centers went by real quick.
  • Your flow during Cross was pretty legit, and I saw you doing a lot of plain ol' R2, L2, R B' R' stuff to just toss in single pieces at a time. Good stuff. TPS and lookahead will come with practice, so just keep doin' what you're doin'. But again, there might be some things I'm missing since I can't see the Front.
  • The slice moves during L2C seemed slightly awkward, and the alg you use seemed to require 4 of them. That kinda precision does come with time, but have you consider using wide move variants? If that was a Slash/Bar case, you could solve the Bar first with L F2 L' (or 3Rw U2 3Rw'), and then solve the Slash without using any slices. It might be 3 moves less efficient, but I find that it's quicker and has less need for precision.
  • Probably the biggest area of improvement is L8E and 3x3 stage, just looking at the splits. So, no Hoya specific advice to give there. Obv you could consider using 3-2-3, but if you like 6-2, then have at it. And 3x3 stage is just practice (gotta love the Wuque for them outer layers, though)
I always love watching people do the Hoya Cross and seeing all those D moves :-D Nice solve, man.

Niiiiiiiiiice!

Last edited:

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's what I've been doing wrong. I thought the first step of Hoya was 2 adjacent centers. Duh, it makes sense 2 opp centers is faster.

Almost all of the time, I do Opposites for my first 2 centers... but Jong-Ho actually does adjacent centers. And every once in a while, the White face is just too good not to start with it, so I'll do adjacent centers. So as with most things, it comes down to what you're used to and what you practice.

Berkmann18

WCA
2014BERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
What are your thoughts on co-centre building (building two centres at the same time) and (partial) edge pair preservation during L2Ce ?

I'm asking this because, I find myself doing that on 4x4-6x6 (I use Hoya on all three with a particular combination of 3x3 methods) and sometimes it does pay off in terms of move count (especially when the preserved edges are fully paired) but sometimes (especially when I try to preserve 2+ edge pairs) it feels like a waste of time and effort.

Apologies if it was already discussed on this thread.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What are your thoughts on co-centre building (building two centres at the same time) and (partial) edge pair preservation during L2Ce ?

I'm asking this because, I find myself doing that on 4x4-6x6 (I use Hoya on all three with a particular combination of 3x3 methods) and sometimes it does pay off in terms of move count (especially when the preserved edges are fully paired) but sometimes (especially when I try to preserve 2+ edge pairs) it feels like a waste of time and effort.

Apologies if it was already discussed on this thread.

I don't think I understand the question. During L2C, there are obviously only 2 centers left to build, and you could just throw that pair into the BR F2L slot with no problem. So I'm guessing that you're talking about something more complicated than that.