• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

brododragon

I've seen many beginners complain about algs being hard to memorize, and everyone's been there. So I decided to make a guide to help even intermediate and advanced cubers memorize algs. This is a constant WIP, and I am fine with changing something if you see a problem.

Most Important Rule: You shouldn't try memorizing the algs by notation, but rather memorize with four methods:
1. Muscle Memory:
Just repeat algs over and over again until you don't need to even think about it.
2. Patterns:
Try to find patterns in the alg. This might mean noticing every R move switches between R and R', and then you just have to memorize which way the U moves go.
3. Chunks:
Find memorable small chunks in algs and memorize those seperately by muscle memory. Then, you just have to memorize the moves in-between chunks.
4. Watching Pieces:
This is especially good for OLL algs. Watch the pieces in the F2L that get messed up by the first few moves and try to memorize how they move and ultimately get resolved. This especially helps with alg fluidity, since you're memorizing how different moves connect with each other.

All of these should be used in conjunction with one another. You might be able to chunk one part, but have to memorize the rest by muscle. In the end, muscle memory is the fastest, but the nice thing is that memorizing by muscle comes naturally after using the alg enough. Also, don't try to learn to many algs. If you can, learn alg sets that are smaller but slower and contain algs from the large set. For example, learn 4LLL before 2LLL.

Algorithm Trainers:
This isn't really a method of memorisation, but of recall and execution. Once you've learned a new alg set, it's probably slower then your previous algs. This is because you haven't trained recall and execution. For, this you need alg trainers. While using a trainer, try to hide it from you vision while scrambling. There are two simple ways of doing this. First, you can he the cube under the table while scrambling, Then, close your eyes and bring it up. The second method is to just close your eyes right before doing the last few moves. You may be able to predict the case with second method, though, so I would recommend against it. I personally use jperm.net, as it is user-friendly and flexible.

Last edited:

alexiscubing

WCA
2018HIRS04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I will try these techniques
I want to learn in the next 6 months -
1. Hoya for 5x5
2. Full OLL for 3x3
3. Some Winter Variation (not a priority)
4. Some ZBLL (not a priority)
5. Some easy F2L algs
6. CLL for 2x2 (not a priority)
7. Full L4E for Pyra
8. Maybe make an FB/L4E methof for pyra and gen algs (2/3 of a face, solve in 1 step)

brododragon

thanks this really helped me
Glad I could help!
and brood for oll should I learn sune ,antisune ,h ,pi ,l ,t ,u or should I learn something else
Learn 2 look OLL. Here's a really good resource: https://www.speedcubereview.com/4look.html
The only thing I wouldn't learn is the dot case. Instead just do the Bar case and then the J case. It's only one move longer and is better since the dot has an S move.
Dumb autocorrect:)