• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How is Feliks so fast?

Stuart Wade

Okay so everyone asks this question lol. But I’m wondering what in particular makes him so much faster. Is it his cross techniques?

Also, Feliks and I use the same algorithms and thought process, yet I’m right around 10 seconds.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, Feliks and I use the same algorithms and thought process, yet I’m right around 10 seconds.
You probably don't use the same algorithms as he does unless you know a lot of ZBLL and random tricks.
Feliks never had to solve the corners during PLL on his current WR average. As you probably know, PLLs when you only solve the edges are some of the best cases.

He also averaged 8.8 TPS and 52 moves through the whole average o_O
Feliks is color neutral and is good at making X-crosses.
Feliks has an incredible amount of dedication to cubing and he is very talented.
That's the best I can explain it :p

Last edited:

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
He just practices alot, he is able to plan out at least cross +1st pair and has pretty much instead case recognition and great lookahead but he is also able to do this at very fast TPS, all that makes him very fast. Recently we have seen some newer cubers getting sub 7 averages and the reason for that is simply practice, they spam solves for hours every day I assume.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was curious about the actual numbers, since I wasn't sure it was fair to say Feliks is still king of 3x3x3. So I averaged all the official competition means of Feliks and Max over their 2019 competitions:

Feliks (only 22 rounds): 6.745
Max (38 rounds): 6.512

So it seems that, on average, Max is indeed a little faster than Feliks in 2019, at least in official competition. And while it is true that Max gets more competition practice than Feliks these days, the discrepancy really isn't all that great - it's less than double. (Though I'm sure it is true that Max gets a lot more practice at home than Feliks does now.)

Admittedly, Max does it with turning speed vs. Feliks' tendency to more efficient solves, but still, fast is fast. Max may not dominate 3x3x3 like he dominates big cubes, but he does appear to be the best in the world right now, even at 3x3x3.

(bracing for the attacks from the Feliks fanboys) :)

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok so I said Feliks was king do to max not having the 3x3 world records yet and Feliks having them ... I say yet because max is going to most likely get the 3x3 WRs
Fair enough. And the 3x3x3 WR is so contested right now that it's really in the reach of a lot of people - it's just that Feliks and Max are the most likely to get a new one at the moment. The fact that the World Championship podium left out both Max and Feliks proves how competitive it really is.