• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hawaiian Kociemba 3x3x3 TUTORIAL - Method of Michael H.

wir3sandfir3s

So most of your are probably familiar with Micheal Humuhumunukunukapua'a's debut video(I didn't copy and paste the name, I memorized it...). In this video, he does a few solves, claiming the method he uses is "Hawaiian Kociemba". The first solve was reconstructed on Reddit, and I have decided to try and decipher his method as no one knows for sure how it works. Keep in mind that this is mostly a theory, and that this could all be totally wrong, but if this is correct, then it is a pretty decent method.
EDIT: This is an amazingly efficient method, and great for both speed solving and FMC. Read some of the later replies.

1. Create EO arrow (only orient F2L pieces, arrow is 3 cross pieces. Missing piece is placed on right.)
2. F2L-1 edge: Use RUL moves, like in ZZ, to do F2L-1 edge. Use temporarily free R slice to your advantage.
3. HKOLL: This is mostly similar to normal OLL, except you also orient RD.
4. HKPLL: 149 cases, 21 PLL, 128 new.
Cube is solved.

1.EO "Arrow": If you are familiar with ZZ, this should be pretty easy. Orient all or just F2L edges, if you orient all you will get an easy corner OLL. The best choice is probably just F2L. This allows you to do F2L with just RUL moves like in ZZ. After edges are oriented, place in 3 D edges, and place the incorrect one at RD (or LD, if you want, but later algs will have to be mirrored).
2. F2L-1 edge: Pretty easy step, uses only RUL moves. The -1 edge is the missing D edge. BE SURE to use the free R slice to your advantage in the beginning, it will help your F2L.
3. HKOLL: Use 1 algorithm. Self explanatory. Similar to normal OLL.
4. HKPLL: Use 1/149 algorithms (21 PLL, 128 HKPLL) to permute everything and solve the cube :).

I am currently having trouble generating HKOLL algorithms, so I'll add them later.
HKPLL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dxhlcnskzj5wfc/HKPLL.LUR.txt?dl=0
EHKPLL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vhumt0nrz9q8tc/EHKPLL.LUR.txt?dl=0
L5E MU: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mogt7yvgojnjye/L5E MU Cases.txt?dl=0
L5E RU: https://www.dropbox.com/s/88ktri1azi972v5/L5E RU Cases.txt?dl=0
Thanks to Cale S for generating these L5E algs.
Load this in Cube Explorer for visual (for now), I'll add pictures later. The HK algorithms only use RUL moves, and some of them are pretty long, but I'll fix them later. You may also have to AUF, especially for EHKPLL.
PLL: https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/i...gDB?mode=view&view=default&puzzle=3&group=PLL
2-gen OLL: https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/OLL#OLL_24 (only use the 2-gen ones, r moves are fine. Can also use the COLL Algs where all you have to do is twist the corners.)
L5E Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Thanks to Alex Maass for making this.

HKPLL can also be solved using commutators. You can also try COLL and then just do a conjugated EPLL, but you would have to orient all edges in the beginning.
Scramble: R2-B2-F-L'-B2-U'-B2-R-D2-R2-F-R2-U-F-D2-B-U
z y' //
D' L' U x // Cross (without the green white edge piece
R' U' R U' R' U' R // Green-Orange Pair
L U2 L' // Blue-Orange Pair
L' U L U' L' U L // Green-Red Pair
R U' R' // Green-Red Pair Insert
r U R' U R U2 r' U // Basically OLL
R' U' R U R U R U' R' U' // Basically PLL

This is the actual reconstruction for the first solve by vikktorz, exactly as he posted it.

Scramble: R2 B L2 B' R' U B R' D' B R' U' R' D B' D U' L' D'
y R' U' R U' R' U R //F2L-1
R U' R' U' R U R' y' //F2L-2
R U2 R2' F R F' R U2 R' //HKOLL
U' R U' R' D R U R' D' R U R' D R U' R' D' //PLL
Second solve reconstruction by JTWong71.

Scramble: U F U D L' U B' U R R L U' R U L' B U' R2 U2 R2
y r x' U2 U' // Stuff?
u' R U' R //Stuff?
F R U R' U' R U R' U' F' // OLL?
U2 R' D' R U R' D R // PLL?
Third solve reconstruction by TheFearlessPro.

Giant List: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l7a6vJc_eflZn1LDt9GAq4lPGQiD8HEm7oJFe2CmhfA/mobilebasic
Thanks to JTwong71 for making this.

Pretty cool method, the reconstruction is 41 moves... seems efficient, too.
EDIT: Actually, every solve so far is 45 moves or less... This is a really efficient method. Check other solves in the replies, and post your here.
Here are a bunch of variations to decrease the number of algorithms used or to make the method more efficient. I'll add them as I think of them.
This will probably be THE MOST complex variation but can be VERY fast and significantly improve recognition. You will want to plan it in inspection. During the explanation, pretend the E slice is divided in half - left and right.
1. Solve a 2x2x3 block (preferably on the left) while leaving 2 edges disoriented. Be sure to track these edges.
2. Now it gets pretty tricky, and reliant on look ahead. Pre mute the bottom corner on the right, they do not need to be oriented. Pair the front one with one of the disoriented edges.
3. Figure out which adjacent corners needs to be swapped. Put them on the left, while making sure the other disoriented edge is at UR or UL. If corners need to swapped diagonally, do this step but use a conjugate to move the corners adjacent to each other.
4. Do either F' U F (if the edge is at UR) or F' U' F (if the edge is at UL) to reduce the cube to an entirely 2-gen state. Yes, all R U moves the entire way (if you want, I wouldn't recommend it as some 2-gem EHKPLLs are pretty long). Solve the other 2 pairs on the left (cube is in F2L-1 state) and use 1/7 Algs to orient corners whilst keeping permutation, then 1/7 EHKPLLs.
This sounds like a lot, but it can be executed pretty quickly. The reason for doing all this is when you finish F2L-1, you will only have to orient corners (only use 2 gen algorithms) and the corners will be solved. You will then be left with a EHKPLL, which there are only 7 of and are pretty easy to recognize and execute. This makes the last layer only use 14 algorithms, beating ZZ-R, DRASTICALLY improving recognition, and takes the cake for fewest number of algs for 2LLL.
Just basically orient all edges in the beginning and use COLL when you get to the last layer to be left with an easy EHKPLL. That makes the last layer only require 49 algorithms.
Use CLL to finish the corners, then do a D move to place the incomplete D edge in the back and do L5E.
Thanks to Alex Maass for creating this variant.
1. Make a 2x2x3 block.
2. Solve other 2 pairs, not RD.
3. COLL or CLL.
4. L5E, or orient edges as you would in FreeFOP or Roux then do EHKPLL.

Thanks to everyone who helped with solve reconstructions and algs. :D

Last edited:

wir3sandfir3s

So essentially it's a kind of "half-ZZ"?

Pretty sure it's only efficient because they used a very lucky scramble. Try out a random scramble and count the moves with the method.
He used this method several times and got sub 8,sub 6 actually, 3 times in a row... watch his debut.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
He used this method several times and got sub 8,sub 6 actually, 3 times in a row... watch his debut.

I've watched it. Didn't know he was always using the same method (can't reconstruct at all, and there is only one published reconstruction). So if you know his other solves you can tell if it was especially "lucky" there too?

As there is a pretty high chance those are fake solves we don't want to examine his solves to decide if the method is worth/efficient. Try doing a solve with that method by your own.

JTWong71

His solves after the partial first two layers were all slightly different, but showing partial CFOP.
The first and third solve used the standard OLL's used by most people, such as F (R U R' U') (R U R' U') F', and (r U R' U) (R U2' r')
What was strange was that after doing the OLL, it also permuted move of the last layer, leaving around 3-4 pieces left to solve.

wir3sandfir3s

Before anyone makes anymore judgements, go look at the thread and read through everything and watch the video.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think everyone read the thread and everyone watched the video..

For me it doesn't even matter if it was an April Fool's joke or fake or nothing of both ; just look at the essence of the method. And the essence of a method is definitely not a bunch of example solves that may or may not be set up.

wir3sandfir3s

I think everyone read the thread and everyone watched the video..

For me it doesn't even matter if it was an April Fool's joke or fake or nothing of both ; just look at the essence of the method. And the essence of a method is definitely not a bunch of example solves that may or may not be set up.
thank you, that's exactly what this thread is about.

ima try reconstructing second solve ill edit this post when i do it! wait how do i know what the scramble is? :p anyway
y
R' U' R U' R'
something somthing.... ill try later anyone else wanna build on this?
Third solve reconstriuction attempt
y'
r2 x' U2 nvm again too much cuts and stuff dem it wut is up -.- I will keep atempting second solve
As far as the cube goes it flexes a lot i can see :p Purple replaces red. ok So third solve is un reconstructable. Time to work on the second solve now that I know what his color scheme is!

Last edited:

JTWong71

I currently have...

R' U' R U' R' U R //F2L-1
R U' R' U' R U R' y' //F2L-2
R U R' U R' F R F' R U2 R' //HKOLL (Checking to make sure it is correct still)
U' R U' R' D R U R' D' R U R' D R U' R' D' //PLL

For solve 2

Last edited: