• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Foreign Cubing Terms?

martinss

Let's recapitulate for french translations : (I know this is an old thread but it needs to be ok, and it's very interresting !)

Corners = Coins
Edges = Arêtes
Algorithm = Algorithme / Formule
Sticker = Autocollant / Étiquette / Sticker (Doesn't every frenchie understand Sticker ?)
To scramble = Mélanger
A scramble = Un mélange
Rubik's Cube = Rubik's Cube / Cube Rubik (Québec) / Rubicube (french noncubers)
F2L = 2 premiers étages (2PE ?)
Blind = à l'aveugle / Sans regarder

Those ones are pretty fun :
Std LBL Edges ALg = Belge (Some cubers only : it's "Belgium" due to a (famous) mnemotechnic device)
Nikklas = Le petit curieux (Some cubers only : it's "the little curious man" due to a (famous) mnemotechnic device)
AntiSune = La chaise (Some cubers only : it's "the chair" due to a (famous) mnemotechnic device)

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Blind = à l'aveugle / Sans regarder
Or just say "blind", everybody will understand.

A couple more about BLD:
Big blind = Gros blind (or just say "big blind", every will understand)
Multiblind = same as in English but with a slightly different pronunciation (the official French name of the event is "résolution multiple à l'aveugle" but that's too long :p)
blindfold = bandeau
memorization, execution = mémorisation, exécution

martinss

Or just say "blind", everybody will understand.

A couple more about BLD:
Big blind = Gros blind (or just say "big blind", every will understand)
Multiblind = same as in English but with a slightly different pronunciation (the official French name of the event is "résolution multiple à l'aveugle" but that's too long :p)
blindfold = bandeau
memorization, execution = mémorisation, exécution

"Ben, en fait non, il n'y a que ceux qui parlent anglais, qui font des compets, ou qui s'interressent un peu au cube qui comprennent "blind". Si je fais un "blind" à côté de mes grand-parents, je leur dirais que je vais le résoudre sans le regarder..."
Well, actually no, only english speakers or advanced cuber know what "blind" means... If ever I do a blind behind my (french) grand-parrents, I would tell them I will solve the cube "sans le regarder" (means without looking at it) instead of the english term "blind".

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the interesting part is what cubers say when they talk to each other... of course non-cubers won't understand the slang and you will need to explain stuff to them, but that's boring and everyone will do it differently.