• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Foreign Cubing Terms?

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
X-perm is actually H-perm + U2

learn2context, he was talking about 4x4 pll parity

case1.png

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
The initial name for the Rubik's Cube in The Netherlands was "De Hongaarse Kubus" = "The Hungarian Cube"

In the 1981 book "De Hongaarse kubus" a scrambled cube was called a "vuile kubus" = dirty or filthy cube and solving was called "opschonen" = cleaning up :)
The author also considered a sub 3:00 cuber a "master" :)

y235

WCA
2011BROD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The initial name for the Rubik's Cube in The Netherlands was "De Hongaarse Kubus" = "The Hungarian Cube"

In the 1981 book "De Hongaarse kubus" a scrambled cube was called a "vuile kubus" = dirty or filthy cube and solving was called "opschonen" = cleaning up :)
The author also considered a sub 3:00 cuber a "master" :)

that reminds me, in israel we also call it the hungarian cube:
"kubia hungarit קובייה הונגרית"

CRO

In Croatia, we have

vrh=corner
rub=edge
naljepnica=sticker

But we tend to use english words more often..

Sarahjdes

For the french:
http://forum.francocube.com/topic484.html
But you could read the french and the english for many terms, because we usually use both. (for exemple, we use "scramble" as often as "mélange", we mostly use "coin(s)" for "corner(s)", but we always use "corner first", never a translation).

I think I'll stick with English. What really messes me up is when I find algorithm in French... D H D' H D H² D' makes no sense to me (this is Sune in French).

Hippolyte!!!

WCA
2008MORE02
That's an old notation wich was used by a few sites, before so many people become cubers.
No more people are using this now, the international notation is always used.

LarsN

WCA
2008NIEL01
The danish language causes a lot of confusion when talking about cubing.

Back in the 80's a Rubiks cube was named "professorterning"/"professor cube", which most people still call it. This was a problem for me when I started cubing and searched for a solution online. It took me of course to bigcubes.com.

A cube is called "en terning" which is the same word we use for "dice". Again this causes a lot of confusion. I wrote on FB that my son got a national record for placing dice on top of each other. Everbody thougt I was talking about cubes.

For cubing terms we mostly adapt the english words, because directly translating only works for words like "corners", "edges", etc.

For bld it's a pain to look at other peoples wordlists, because the letters C, W, Q, X and Z are hardly ever used in our language. But then we have a few letters of our own (Æ, Ø, Å).

LuckyShadows

WCA
2011NOVA02
In Hungarian it's the Rubik Kocka (Rubik's Cube) or Varázs Kocka (Magic Cube).
As to things like CFOP, F2L, and those terms, I have no idea, and I would actually like to hear the Hungarian terminology :)