• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Curvy Copter Discussion(New)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I'm not actually sure that there is room for magnets, at least in this one. I'll look into it in the next couple week though
Is that the LanLan version? I pulled mine partially apart this morning to see. I'm not sure about fitting the magnets in, the puzzle might have to be redesigned around them. I think to get jumbling to line up correctly you would have to have very precisely placed magnets in the triangle centers and the edge-centers. 144 magnets, I think? 2 in each center and 4 in each edge?

Edit: I can't do arithmetic. That's 96, not 144. I'll look more closely at the puzzle when I have a chance.

Last edited:

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Is that the LanLan version? I pulled mine partially apart this morning to see. I'm not sure about fitting the magnets in, the puzzle might have to be redesigned around them. I think to get jumbling to line up correctly you would have to have very precisely placed magnets in the triangle centers and the edge-centers. 144 magnets, I think? 2 in each center and 4 in each edge?

Edit: I can't do arithmetic. That's 96, not 144. I'll look more closely at the puzzle when I have a chance.
I believe this is the meffert's.

do you have a tutorial? I'm not a speedsolver but it could be fun to try

Are you asking about for solving the CC in general or florian modding? I'm thinking about making a tutorial for solving the CC, as well as speedsolving tricks and algs.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
The lanlan's performance actually isn't bad. It locks up much less than their FTO and even has a small amount of corner cutting (no reverse cutting)

Are you asking about for solving the CC in general or florian modding? I'm thinking about making a tutorial for solving the CC, as well as speedsolving tricks and algs.
The modding. A few pages ago I posted my own method I figured out.

Last edited:

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I have the LanLan. FWIW here are some pictures of how I think it would need to be magnetized. Magnets need to go about on the gray dots, because the triangle centers need to be attracted to the edge centers both "right side up" (cube shape) and "upside down" (jumbling). The magnets in the edge centers might actually work, just barely. The triangle centers have obnoxious posts right in the way, though. 20201121_221509.jpg20201121_221633.jpg

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
The lanlan's performance actually isn't bad. It locks up much less than their FTO and even has a small amount of corner cutting (no reverse cutting)

The modding. A few pages ago I posted my own method I figured out.
I can make a video on it if you want. I’m still not satisfied with how it’s performing currently. I think I need to do some solves to smooth out the pieces and find better tensions.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Just thought I would post an update on the modded CC:

After several solves and a lot of turns, the modded pieces are finally starting to smooth out and not catch as much. I'm pretty sure I overmodded it though since there are times the corner moves into the hole in the center of each side and can catch, but it's not too bad. I think I still need to just get used to how the puzzle turns now, as well as find the ideal tensions.

Now for what I was hoping to see: Fingertricks are now starting to become viable! I was able to do them before I modded them, but the puzzle caught too much to be worth using over wrist turns. Now, I'm starting to experiment with using the fingertricks I've been working on on the side, and I've gotten some pretty fast alg executions with them!

Edit: I think if I could add 3 magnets into each corner and an magnet to connect them to the center triangles, the catching issue would be greatly reduced.

Last edited:

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've diagnosed what's causing a lot of the major catching/lockups, and it looks like I'm going to have to do some more modding to the edge centers. Yay ( sweats in sarcasm)

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
There were a couple of cases we had where people had put in sub-1 singles because they didn't understand how to properly scramble the puzzle with jumbling. They were doing unjumbled solves. I corrected those; the current record single on our Weekly Competition is 1:36.53 by Aedan Bryant.

can you add a non jumbling category? we can just use a random move scrambler.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Jumbling is better, just do jumbling. Curvy Copter without jumbling is like Square-1 without cube shape.
no I'm pretty sure in squan you solve cubeshape at beginning and then never leave cubeshape. in curvy copter you can fix orbits along the way although there still may be a weird two swap center at the end.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
no I'm pretty sure in squan you solve cubeshape at beginning and then never leave cubeshape. in curvy copter you can fix orbits along the way although there still may be a weird two swap center at the end.
You fix parity in square-1 by leaving cube shape. Curvy Copter is more complex than square-1, but it's actually a pretty good analogy.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
no you solve both during cubeshape parity

And you can solve orbits at the start before making any blocks. A "CSP" for Curvy Copter to solve all orbits directly is theoretically possible but probably too difficult to be worth it for 15 seconds of inspection.

Point is that the Square-1 analogy was pretty accurate. Almost every analogy can be broken down into minute differences across cases, and if these differences didn't exist, it likely wouldn't be a very meaningful or insightful analogy.

FWIW, I also agree that non-jumbling curvy copter makes the event incredibly bland. Even if there were good hardware, the ergonomics for speedsolving are incredibly poor and the solve has no characteristics that set it apart from other events.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
And you can solve orbits at the start before making any blocks. A "CSP" for Curvy Copter to solve all orbits directly is theoretically possible but probably too difficult to be worth it for 15 seconds of inspection.
To my knowledge (I'm not at squan solver) cubeshape is solved using one algorithm and then that's it. While curvy copter orbit solving is too complex to be solved with one alg.

You can also solve orbits while solving CC cube shape. Seriously, if you're not jumbling you're not fully using the puzzle. Just jumble it, it's really not that hard.
I already said if you go like two pages back you can see I solved with jumbling using my own method.
I think the puzzle is still quite interesting without jumbling. We've only scratched the surface of finger tricks and algs.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Welp, I'm pretty sure I overmodded my CC into being essentially useless for speedsolving, so that's unfortunate.

Oh well, I was planning on ordering a Meffert's and a Lanlan this week to compare the two, both at a base level and with modding, anyway.

I might make a video showing off the pieces and what it looks like if anyone is interested in seeing it. I can still solve on it though, so I'll probably use the time between ordering the new CCs and their arrival to learn how to solve with jumbling and improve my solve efficiency!