• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing Under Pressure!?

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I went to my local hardware store to find some silicone for my cube and I asked the guy that worked there. Well after not finding the can, he asked me what it was for. I told him im a cuber and I need some for my cube...Next thing I know i was surrounded by workers. They asked my to solve it...

I started to shake so much that at the end of my solve I messed up the easiest perm i knew and had to restart an F2l pair and Oll. Finishing time? 1 minute 20 seconds....:fp

Even for a newb like me thats a bad time.

They let me go at it again, but the crowd was bigger and my hands were shaking even more! I did it 1 minute 2 seconds.:fp

Does anyone know how I can stop this from happening!?

Please help!:(

Zbox95

Just try to relax, try to feel relaxed by the solving itself. That's what I do.

tozies24

WCA
2010TOZI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One of the better things to do when cubing in a crowd of people would be to maybe even talk to the people who are watching you. For example, saying, "Now I am going to finish the first two layers, and now I will get the top, and now I will finish." This way you take the pressure of the solve off a little bit and you just let yourself solve the cube. If you worry about messing up, then you probably will mess up a little bit.

EDIT: this idea is only for non-competitive solving when you are in a store or a public place.

timelonade

WCA
2011MERC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do what tozies suggests, I tell people what I am doing as I am doing it, if you know your OLLs and PLLs by muscle memory people think you're magic sometimes if you can do the OLL and PLL while saying "now I make the whole top one colour" and then "now I just swap all the pieces around.."

:)

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Urgh. I find exposing yourself to such situations is very good. I'm now comfortable with crowds on on the bus and the usual stupid comments.

But I have had a terrible experience with pressure. A couple months ago at school, I was averaging like 30 sec btw.
I was cubing with some of my other friends in our usual classroom, then a teacher came in. Next thing I know I'm surrounding by many teachers and one wanted to time me.
My hands were so tense I dropped the cube and it popped.

Final solve 2:18. That was horrible. However now I don't care about people crowding around me. I just pretend they are not there, or just think as if I'm showing my friends.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Urgh. I find exposing yourself to such situations is very good. I'm now comfortable with crowds on on the bus and the usual stupid comments.

But I have had a terrible experience with pressure. A couple months ago at school, I was averaging like 30 sec btw.
I was cubing with some of my other friends in our usual classroom, then a teacher came in. Next thing I know I'm surrounding by many teachers and one wanted to time me.
My hands were so tense I dropped the cube and it popped.

Final solve 2:18. That was horrible. However now I don't care about people crowding around me. I just pretend they are not there, or just think as if I'm showing my friends.

Oh wow sorry. Atleast im not the only one xD

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeh I get tense easily.
Related: do other people in your year (assuming you still go to school) tend to mock you about cubing?
This is another thing that can contribute to tenseness IMO.
People who do this IMO of course, are (idi--s) who get their fun out of making fun of others which is a stupid hobby.

Edit: oh yeh. It's censored. Forgot bout that.

Last edited:

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeh I get tense easily.
Related: do other people in your year (assuming you still go to school) tend to mock you about cubing?
This is another thing that can contribute to tenseness IMO.
People who do this IMO of course, are (idi--s) who get their fun out of making fun of others which is a stupid hobby.

Edit: oh yeh. It's censored. Forgot bout that.

Um yeah im about to finish 10th grade(southern hemisphere, flipped year) and no, not really. Some say I cube wayyy too much, but thats about it.

iEnjoyCubing

WCA
2011VALL01
This happens to me at school all the time. I average around 24 seconds and got two 38 second times in a row :fp

I just try to relax even though it's difficult.