• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing in public - my experience

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
So basically, I went to school today and brought my cube. Quite a lot of things happened actually? First, during an English lesson, I was solving while people were arriving, and the person next to me said I can do that’ So like a fool, I gave it to them and waited for a bit for them to solve it. I couldn’t see the cube as they were cubing under the desk flm. They gave it back when register started, and guess what? I had a blue sticker next to a GREEN, and a red next to ORANGE. I accused them of peeling stickers of, and they said no I didn’t. I am adamant they did it, it it was so annoying she kept denying it. Second, I went to the library to fix the stickers, and somebody says are u cheating. I said no, the cube’s become impossible and I gotta fix it. I do that, and show them a solve to prove I can do it. I attracted a couple of people’s attention, and it felt pretty cool. No standard non-cuber comments either ;). So that was a highlight. I went to chess club at the end of the day, and while I was waiting for my friends to finish their game, I started cubing. Another person said, wow, I used to be able to solve that a couple of years ago. I gave it to them (a little more warily now) and asked them to see how far they could get. And believe it or not, they actually did it! I caught some beginner’s method middle layer algs with sledgehammer, and an H Perm at the end. I was pretty excited, and I talked to them for a bit. The other person, non cuber, wanted to know how to do it. I showed him how to do the cross properly for a bit, and by the end of the club, he could do white cross without help. :) So yeah, I’m pretty excited about this. Met cuber, began to teach somebody how to solve it and figured out who not to give my cube to.

Last edited:

MEF227

I have a cube sticker on my school chromebook. There is this one annoying guy who sits in front of me in health class and he asked if that was a Rubik's Cube sticker. I responded with, "yeah it is". He asked if he could have one, I thought he meant a sticker so I said, "sure, but I don't know where my mom keeps them". He said that he meant an actual cube and that I have a bucket of them in my locker. I don't. I keep 4 cubes in my locker max but even though I use budget cubes, I'm not giving him one. I'm not giving anyone, except maybe my friend who needs a speed cube, one of my cubes.

GAN 356 X

What Ive learnt: Don't take your mains to school or on holiday. My 2x2 main broke on holiday. Now I need a new one.

Still, I bring my Gan x to school most days lol
I have a cube sticker on my school chromebook. There is this one annoying guy who sits in front of me in health class and he asked if that was a Rubik's Cube sticker. I responded with, "yeah it is". He asked if he could have one, I thought he meant a sticker so I said, "sure, but I don't know where my mom keeps them". He said that he meant an actual cube and that I have a bucket of them in my locker. I don't. I keep 4 cubes in my locker max but even though I use budget cubes, I'm not giving him one. I'm not giving anyone, except maybe my friend who needs a speed cube, one of my cubes.
Yup, I might be the one;y one

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was cubing at my gym because I have the flu. My wife was working out. The owner was watching me right when I got a 20. He asked if he could mix the cube up "real good" for me and time me. I got a 29. It's fun to cube in front of non-cubers. They are easily impressed. He kept telling people about it. :)

Coincidentally, I switched back to the Supernova YLM M 3x3x3 and I beat my PB Ao5 and Ao12.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a RUBIK'S 3X3 that had plastic tiles instead of stickers.
I think they all do now :).
I was cubing at my gym because I have the flu. My wife was working out. The owner was watching me right when I got a 20. He asked if he could mix the cube up "real good" for me and time me. I got a 29. It's fun to cube in front of non-cubers. They are easily impressed. He kept telling people about it. :)

Coincidentally, I switched back to the Supernova YLM M 3x3x3 and I beat my PB Ao5 and Ao12.
Lol. I said I averaged 27 to a non cuber, and he wanted me to prove it. So I had to use my AoLong V2 (my school cube) and try inspection while he counted off the seconds real fast and loud. Then I screwed up my 2x2x2. I ended up with a 32.

Atomix

So basically, I went to school today and brought my cube. Quite a lot of things happened actually? First, during an English lesson, I was solving while people were arriving, and the person next to me said I can do that’ So like a fool, I gave it to them and waited for a bit for them to solve it. I couldn’t see the cube as they were cubing under the desk flm. They gave it back when register started, and guess what? I had a blue sticker next to a GREEN, and a red next to ORANGE. I accused them of peeling stickers of, and they said no I didn’t. I am adamant they did it, it it was so annoying she kept denying it. Second, I went to the library to fix the stickers, and somebody says are u cheating. I said no, the cube’s become impossible and I gotta fix it. I do that, and show them a solve to prove I can do it. I attracted a couple of people’s attention, and it felt pretty cool. No standard non-cuber comments either ;). So that was a highlight. I went to chess club at the end of the day, and while I was waiting for my friends to finish their game, I started cubing. Another person said, wow, I used to be able to solve that a couple of years ago. I gave it to them (a little more warily now) and asked them to see how far they could get. And believe it or not, they actually did it! I caught some beginner’s method middle layer algs with sledgehammer, and an H Perm at the end. I was pretty excited, and I talked to them for a bit. The other person, non cuber, wanted to know how to do it. I showed him how to do the cross properly for a bit, and by the end of the club, he could do white cross without help. :) So yeah, I’m pretty excited about this. Met cuber, began to teach somebody how to solve it and figured out who not to give my cube to.
I was solving the cube in a room full of college seniors. By their reaction, I understood that they hadnt seen someone speedsolve before and while I was halfway through F2L some even started screaming " yo yo yo you are going to break that" . I got a U perm , so I put the cube behind my back and apply the algorithm and they went crazy. I was quite proud of myself and thats somewhat idiotic but still proud because I never solved infront of that many people.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Today, I was doing PE last period, and my friend had a broken leg, so he was sitting on the sides. He’s a cuber by the way, but solves sub 1 min. And then he pulls out a carbon fibre 3x3, and starts practising. When I was off (doing football) I came over to him and tried the cube out. It was amazing. It was like the equivalent of a GTS3, but slightly slower (or imo). A crowd gathered around us, and somebody asked for my average. It was around 25 I said. He didn’t believe me, so he asked me to show him by solving the carbon fibre 3x3 my friend had. I tried to explain to him about colour recognition cos of the black, but he wouldn’t listen. I got a 32 by the way :(

We also had a OH vs two handed race, me being the OHer, with my Aolong v2. I lost because I messed up a V Perm on PL.