• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

"Cubewrist"... Injuries etc???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frazer

I have been speedcubing for a while and average ~45s. Sometimes when I practise a lot my wrists start to hurt. Does this happen to other people too? I really need to be able to use my hands for other hobbies (motorcycling, breakdancing) so I wouldn't like to suffer from any form of... whatever may happen when you speedcube a lot :p

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
I switched my H perm practiced it a few thousand times pushing D' with my left ring finger. Two weeks of that combined with typing for 8 hours a day was enough to give me tendonitis.

Wrist pain can have several causes, if it gets extreme you should see a doctor. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can cause permanent nerve damage if not treated.

panyan

i have large hands and if im practicing the trigger groups, my hands cramp up because a standard cube is so small for my hands

Tyson

WCA
2004MAOT02
I don't like to take my best cubes around me everywhere, so usually I keep a store bought unlubed cube with me should the need arise that I need to solve the Rubik's Cube. (actually a legitimate business/networking tool) Anyway, if I do too many solves on that cube, I do feel a bit of pain and discomfort. Which leads me to believe that in addition to rest, a good moving cube can reduce injuries significantly.

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
Funny you should mention, Tyson. I switched back to one of my storeboughts around the same time as the alg change I mentioned. I think it probably had something to do with it, also.

A week in a wrist brace, an ergo keyboard and 10,000mg of Naproxin (not all at the same time) fixed my tendonitis. Plus, I gave the storebought to the little girl next door.

abr71310

WCA
2009SHAO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
i'm USING a wrist brace right now, brunson. -- I messed up my wrist pretty bad (no fracture, thank Carlin) playing badminton, and my dad suspects its a tendon damage or some nerve / muscle damage, since whenever i take off the brace I feel massive pain when i even do simple wrist rotations.

Hopefully it'll go away after a while, but right now i'm just taking a lot of Aleve (Naproxin, essentially) and trying NOT to use it (which is impossible, since i'm right handed for writing and a lot of other stuff, and i have to drive / write every day, with my right hand...).

holypasta

i've never had cube-related pain in my wrist/hand.
however...
once upon a time, while i was innocently executing an algorithm, i felt a shooting pain in my right forefinger. i tried to continue cubing, but my finger twinged every time i did a U turn. after 15 seconds of rest, i was fine.

i've never had cube-related pain in my wrist/hand.
however...
once upon a time, while i was innocently executing an algorithm, i felt a shooting pain in my right forefinger. i tried to continue cubing, but my finger twinged every time i did a U turn. after 15 seconds of rest, i was fine.
Was it because you removed the splinter?

noblsheep

yeah i use a wrist supporter sometimes for extended cubing, not only to reduce stress but also to force myself to use my fingers more...

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I cubed for about 14 hours straight, a few days later I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Carpal tunnel is a result of continued stress and (usually) a genetic predisposition to the condition. While I'm sure the 14 hours didn't help (and frankly, I would never suggest that you cube for anything close to that in a day), it is not as if that incident immediately led to this diagnosis.

CTS is VERY OFTEN misdiagnosed for those with activity related wrist pain. I would keep that in mind.

toast

WCA
2009BELL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I cubed for about 14 hours straight, a few days later I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

I've also had CTS, not from cubing though, from gaming all day. I couldn't clench my left fist hardly able to move a finger. My doctor kept complaining at me, saying I was too young to have Carpal Tunnel. I had to wear a splint for a few weeks and when I took it off, my hand was still really, really weak. Took many weeks to recover it back to it's former strength and now, it feels great.

Frazer

What sort of wrist supporters do you use to reduce stress??? Are there any other ways to prevent injuries without having to practise less?

KubeKid73

I would never be able to cube for 14 hours straight. I don't have a long enough attention span. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.