• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CubeWrist...when will it end?!?!

gokkar

In May of 2011, I eased up on my cubing after my hands and wrists began to hurt. The doctor told me I had inflamed tendons, and that about a month of rest should do the trick. But now, 8 months later, I can barely cube at all without hurting myself. How can I make this go away? I just want to be able to cube normally again...

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
You should really look at my how to warm up for cubing vid in the how to section.. I think it will help lessen injuries like this. but you probably need to do more slow solves to warm up properly. Just an idea...

Last edited:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are a few of us who also have wrist problems from time to time. First question, when you cube how many solves do you do in one sitting? Do you take breaks during a cubing sessions, or just do a bunch of solves in a row for an hour or more?

I have problems with my wrist as well, and they always appear whenever I do about 100 solves in one sitting. If I do about 100 solves or more in a single sitting, without taking any breaks, I've learned that I have to ice my wrist and forearm, as well as take it easy the next day and not cube as much. I've learned to take breaks, and break up my cubing into sessions that are spread out throughout the day rather than all at once.

Sadly, my wrist problems have not gone away, I've only learned better how to deal with them. Definitely ice your wrist if you feel soreness or twinges of pain. Definitely don't cube at ALL for the next 3 days if you feel twinges of pain. If you feel soreness, then take it easy the next day and do maybe half the solves you did the first day.

Try doing some BLD solves, or an FMC solve whenever your wrist starts to bug you. Try just plain stopping for an hour if your wrist bugs you. You can also buy one of those carpal tunnel wrist supports if your wrist bugs you really bad, and wear that if you ever feel sharp pains in your wrist.

Basically, the problem will probably not go away. You will have to learn to deal with it, and don't expect to go back to the "normal" way you used to cube. You need to create a new normal way of cubing that doesn't bother your wrist. That way you will still be able to continue to practice without making your wrist problems worse.

Lastly, and this probably goes without saying, make sure you use a relatively good cube (not too loose, this makes wrist problems WAY worse), and also make sure to lube the cube if it is locky. Locky cubes hurt my wrist more than non-locky cubes. Super loose cubes are the WORST possible thing for your wrist issues. Try tuning your cubes a little bit tighter and see if that helps.

Last edited:

gokkar

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I've watched the video, and will try some of everyone's suggestions. I am using a Lubix Zhanchi, left at the tensions Donovan set. Other cubes that I mess around with do tend to be set very loose. Why is looser worse for my wrist? And the thing is, I'm not a "hardcore" cuber, if you will. I average about 40sec with the beginner's method. So I'm never doing more than a handful of solves at a time. Nowhere near 100.

Last edited:

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for all of the replies so far. I've watched the video, and will try some of everyone's suggestions. I am using a Lubix Zhanchi, left at the tensions Donovan set. And the thing is, I'm not a "hardcore" cuber, if you will. I average about 40sec with the beginner's method. So I'm never doing more than a handful of solves at a time. Nowhere near 100.

Ah. that changes things, I would just say stretch first and maybe take some advil. Have you told your doctor that it still hurts?

gokkar

I take Motrin when it bothers me. And a few months ago, I tried some physical therapy, so they knew that the problem persisted longer than expected. They said i was hyperextensive, or something.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hypertension? You really need to be careful with that as it can last a really long time if you aren't gentle on it. Did they tell you to try warm water soaks? My fiance has hypertension in her elbow and this really helps her.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
No not hypertension, hyperEXtensive
Ah, never heard of that. That sound like it is just hyper (or extremely) extensive which doesn't make much sense to call it that, you might and well say it really f'ed up (not sure if this isn't ok to put on the forum so please remove it if it isn't)

aronpm

Ah, never heard of that. That sound like it is just hyper (or extremely) extensive which doesn't make much sense to call it that, you might and well say it really f'ed up (not sure if this isn't ok to put on the forum so please remove it if it isn't)

I don't think "****ed up" is a proper medical term

rubikmaster

WCA
2011JANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wrist problem

OK,So I don't really know if this is a problem or not,but my wrist feels like it's "loose".It feels like my hand is getting further away from my forearm or something.Like it's going to "fall of".My wrist doesn't hurt or anything but I'm a little worried.My left hand is pretty normal,I only have this problem on my right hand so it's obvious that this is from cubing.Btw,I don't really cube that much,there are sometimes some days I don't cube at all but I would say I do 50-70 solves on daily average.From time to time I do PLL time attacks,15-20 per day.I average about 18-19 seconds.Any suggestions,tips?

Last edited:

NOLAcuber

Hyperextension is nothing to play around with. I play disc golf and a friend of mine hyperextended his knee and "tried" to play through it and was out for more than a month. All because he "toughed it out".
So yeah, don't take this lightly. You could end your cubing career. Or put it on hold for a long time.