• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What to do about Rubik's wrist, RSI and pain related to cubing and other activies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

YouTube
Visit Channel
No, I don't mean forever. If you REALLY overdo it, and actually damage some of the tissues in your arm, you would have to do that, but there's a long step between sore fingers, and actual damage. How long have you been cubing for? Has an average of 12 for your OH always made your fingers hurt?

I have been cubing since the start of this year and OH is the only thing that makes my fingers sore.

CarlBrannen

WCA
2013BRAN01
Funny, my left thumb started bothering me about the time I began speed cubing last May or June. It felt bad every morning when I got up.

At the same time I passed the PhD qualifying exams and sort of let myself go, maybe putting on 10 pounds. But I've lost those 10 this past month and now my thumb feels great. I wonder if there is any connection. Certainly the stuff I eat now isn't any better than it was last year.

tomthed

I'm fairly sure that I've strained the ligaments in both of my forearms. I've had pain in both arms recently after what was admittedly light cubing. Just rested them for 5 days and having come back to cubing my wrists are clicking like hell, I'm in a bit of pain and I can feel tightness in my arms. Even more so in my fingers. Very unpleasant. Probably going to see a doc. My main gripe is that this all seems very strange, I haven't cubed hard at all (relative to most people) and I've been warming up, cooling down and stretching my wrists as described everyday. Hopefully I'll be back to cubing soon!

EDIT: Has anyone else experienced and/or recovered from anything like this?

Tom

Last edited:

rj

WCA
2015PLAT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm fairly sure that I've strained the ligaments in both of my forearms. I've had pain in both arms recently after what was admittedly light cubing. Just rested them for 5 days and having come back to cubing my wrists are clicking like hell, I'm in a bit of pain and I can feel tightness in my arms. Even more so in my fingers. Very unpleasant. Probably going to see a doc. My main gripe is that this all seems very strange, I haven't cubed hard at all (relative to most people) and I've been warming up, cooling down and stretching my wrists as described everyday. Hopefully I'll be back to cubing soon!

Tom

Tendonitis. I think. My friend had this. She had to have a cast for 6 weeks.

JonnyWhoopes

Premium Member
WCA
2011GRAY02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Tom

Just like has been said before in this thread I'm sure, STOP cubing immediately and see a doctor. Pains in the wrist are no light matter and can have long term impacts if you aren't careful.

SidTheCuber

I am having pain in my index finger of right hand.I think this is because i use a rubik's brand cube,it is hard to turn.What should I do to get relief ?Pls help?

JonnyWhoopes

Premium Member
WCA
2011GRAY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am having pain in my index finger of right hand.I think this is because i use a rubik's brand cube,it is hard to turn.What should I do to get relief ?Pls help?

Take a week off.

Seriously. Take a week off. And make sure that you don't use it for cubing AT ALL. Pain when dealing with this sort of thing is a legitimate issue.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
This shouldn't be in off topic discussion IMO. This is really, really relevant to speedcubing. General puzzle/constructive speedcubing, or else the help thread. Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.